505 Games to Take Lead on Terraria Console Port

Discussion in 'News & Features' started by confuzzledyma, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confuzzledyma Administrator

white.GIF
    announcement_graphic_final.jpg
    We already said today that Terraria is now coming to consoles, and now we've got a little more info to flesh out the story a bit. 505 Games has announced that they are taking the reins and helping Redigit to bring Terraria to XBL and PSN.
    terraria1.jpg

Andrew "Redigit" Spinks had this to say about the partnership:
    terraria2.jpg

Release is expected in early 2013, and you can keep updated here, at the official Facebook, or Twitter!

terraria3.jpg
  2. AaronC Spriter

2013? wut? this may aswell have not been announced at all at such a random time :[
  3. Kane Administrator

Takes a bit to port a game :) It's also almost fall not to long :)
    Jimi likes this.
  4. Blu Moderator

Looking forward to seeing this new content. Fingers crossed for some Steam DLC, which I would happily pay for.
  5. Ijwu Crimera

Of course. Terraria eats RAM. Xboxs' alone only have 512 MB. Not enough for a large world.

As Berserker66 told me in a private chat, they'd have to rewrite much of the code or port it all to another language.
  6. ObsidianKnight Demon Eye

I don't like this idea :/

It seems like it would be really frustrating trying to play it on consoles :(

And if what Ijwu says is true, only being able to make small worlds will suck :(
    bioemerl likes this.
  7. FredZ Green Slime

I feel so stupid right now. I though they would give us a content patch when all they want is more money and i knew that but i refused to see it. I wanted to have a content patch so bad.. I hope you die in a plane crash terraria developpers.
    Infraction has been given for this message by blumchen. Details | Sep 11, 2012
    Wolfy910 likes this.
  8. The_Reaper Demon Eye

I hope the new content will be for pc aswell since I dont own any consoles :/ But im really happy that terraria is making some progress again :D
  9. Kane Administrator

Terraria is a 2d side scroller. These kind of games usually feel native to consoles. I think might be a bit odd at first but if you use a console as a average user it should not be to bad.

Just have to wait and see for sure though :)
  10. ObsidianKnight Demon Eye

Considering that it's 9/11... that's pretty harsh of you to say man... Plus the developer has a kid... don't wish death upon anyone :/
  11. The_Reaper Demon Eye

Seriously? Since when is making the game available for more people to enioy only caring about money?
    Mr.Person and Mumblerful like this.
  12. kirabook Ex-Min

Maybe this opens the opportunity for a deal to be struck for pc continuation.
    LightFlow likes this.
  13. Triforce Frankenstein

I doubt it will, but I hope that PC users will be able to play with console users.
  14. Ijwu Crimera

Probably not. Gaslamp Games already offered to take over for PC. Now Redigit practically hands over console development to 505? Sounds like he's being greedy, at best.

More content is nice, but the bigger picture is that it's a sales move by 505 and Red. There's no other reason that 505 would want to port it. The industry doesn't function on people doing things just because.
  15. themurumasa Lava Slime

"and we can’t wait for the existing Terraria fan base to experience all-new content”.

The existing fan base are all PC users, does this mean that the content will be on steam too?
    Chelle likes this.
  16. NotaCoL Umbrella Slime

I was expecting more content update but this is really cool! Terraria on consoles! except that i have Dreamcast.
    Lennon likes this.
  17. Crazyon Undead Viking

Why mention something that'll be released early 2013?
    Why not say that its coming to other consoles?
    He got everyone hyped over a possible content update/bug fix for PC...
    X-box controls are hard to use for terraria, I doubt Ps3 will be any easier...
  18. Geno Demon Eye

Oh yay, it's exactly the sort of dumbassery I had hoped this thing WOULDN'T be.
    Lennon likes this.
  19. Unholyrath Eskimo Zombie

Being a 2d sidescroller has nothing to do with concern over controls. Minecraft works on console due to it being a first-person aspect, meaning the only block you can interact with is the one directly in front of you. Terraria has no such system, so either a) the system for placing/removing blocks will be entirely different/restrictive, or b) it won't work very well.

Still seems to me like Redigit wanted more money to me. Months ago goes "We are done with Terraria, life OP", then suddenly comes back with "HEY GUYS CONSOLE VERSIONS".
    Lennon, ShadouIceAzure and Leotamer like this.
  20. Blu Moderator

Wow, what a terrible thing to say. Don't let us catch you talking like that again. It's just a game.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.