A Reluctant Terrarian

Discussion in 'Terraria Literature' started by Spyder Z, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Spyder Z Hornet

Original Story/Forum Introduction (open)
    Before you begin reading, I must confess that I am terrible about finishing stories. I'm looking for something fun to rattle off for a while, and I've never tried to write a "Forum Story", so I figure this is two birds, one "Post"? ;P

Two questions that I'm curious about. 1) Are Forum Stories better when updated in the original post, or added along the thread? [So that Comments between updates are relevant to everyone reading through] 2) Update Size. Frequency Preferences? Word Count? Are there any general "Guidelines"? Thanks for answers, and without further ado... A Beginning...

(To Note: I've got as much again written, and I'm trying to keep ticking into this, but I'm kind of lost on "Protocol" for this kind of story. ;P )
    NOTES: There is a "Next Section" link at the bottom of story posts that have a large gap between them and the next story section. So if you're just trying to read through without engaging in, or reading the intervening posts, click that.
    Also, for those interested in reading the story "Chapter at a Time" instead of as it progresses the story is also posted at Fanfiction.net and AO3.

Oh, and because I realized I never linked it here, the Story has been reviewed in the Terrarian Times by our very own Garneac. Here.

And because my brilliant Roomie suggested it (It's really far past time for it anyway... >.>) I give you...

Chapter 1: An Introduction of Sorts

Lying there in the dirt, he wasn’t sure what he hated more; the pain coursing through his limbs from falling, or the barely contained amusement the guy leaning over him was wearing on his face. Taking an inventory, he realized that aside from his clothing, he had nothing of value on him.

“You look lost,” the smug and otherwise unremarkable guy standing over him eventually said in a cold and oddly distant voice.

“No, I just like lying out in the dirt in the middle of…” trailing off, he realized he didn’t have anything to finish that with. Deciding that he was at the least, done lying in the dirt, he took the strangers proffered hand and allowed himself to be pulled to his feet.

“Sooo…” looking around, he realized that not only wasn’t he sure where he was… but he wasn’t too sure where he’d come from. The last thing he could recall was getting dressed… “where…”

“Terraria,” the stranger offered, a smile just barely concealed in his almost tangibly piercing gaze.

“Terrawhere?” he replied, having just realized that last thought must have been out loud, “and who are you anyway?” he added.

“Terraria, and I am here to guide you… for now,” the stranger answered unhelpfully.

Looking around, he could see that there were quite a few trees in every direction, and the ground seemed to rise and fall erratically, as if this area had been hewn by the hands of a rather large excited child. From their vantage, he could just make out the tips of some mountain range through the thinner upper branches to the north.

“Well okay Guide, which way takes me home… wherever that was…” he asked, not liking the realization that he really had no idea where he called home.

The smile returning to his lips, the stranger tossed him a copper bladed axe that, moments before, was nowhere to be seen. Instinctively catching it, he was both surprised at his reflex, and uncomfortable with the weapon’s sudden appearance.

That, is entirely up to you,” the stranger said, by way of an answer.

“I don’t get it,” he replied. “Am I going to need this for protection?”

“It will suffice for that as well. However, one typically uses an axe to fell trees, such as those surrounding us in the clearing,” the stranger answered him. “I imagine that there are enough around us for home to be wherever you desire.”

Giving the stranger an incredulous look, he replied, “There is a lot wrong with what you’ve just said. First off, I’m no lumber jack. I don’t know the first thing about cutting down trees… not that I imagine it’s too awfully difficult. Secondly, what am I supposed to do with an entire freaking tree once I’ve managed to fell it. I may be rather strong for my frame, but that’s pushing things just a mite don’t you think? Finally, and actually most importantly, I have absolutely no interest in home being anywhere other than where it already is. I’m not a carpenter either, and the thought of building a home way out here in the middle of nowhere doesn’t really appeal to me.”

Seemingly unmoved by his words, the infuriating smile still skirting the corners of his lips, the stranger only replied, “Home, Hole, it doesn’t really matter. You’ll need somewhere to hide once night arises.”

Blu, Vladimier, Oranje and 3 others like this.
  2. Garneac IndieGamers.com. Go there.

If you prefer keeping the story in the OP, then sure, go ahead. I currently don't because it would make the webpage a sprawling wall of text. Here's what I do: separate chapters by post, and at the end of each chapter add the link to the next post containing the next chapter. So, when the reader finishes a chapter, s/he can just clink the link and move onto the next one. It helps readers avoid having to stumble across spoilers and scroll through pages. I also have a table of contents which directly links to the pertinent chapters. (Look, I know it might seem as if I'm advertising my story to you, but I'm really not. It's just that, well, if you're interested in organizing your story , then follow the link in my signature and you'll see what I;m talking about. Again, I'm not interested in self-advertising right now. Also, I'll delete this post if you decide you need the space for organizing and whatnot, no problem.)

Update size is up to you. Whenever you feel as if you have an appropriate amount of the story worth having your readers, well, read, then post it up. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Some prefer short updates almost everyday; others prefer longer, perhaps weekly updates. Or vice versa. So, you have free reign.

There is a set of rules for this writing sub-forum, but honestly, I'd say just use common sense. Myself, I've written some chapters which go beyond the "friendly atmosphere" stressed in the rules. But I've yet to be PMed by a moderator. Of course, if everything you write is "he f*cked him with the f*cking sh*t knife and f*cking infected the stupid c*ntish dog with gonorrhea," don't be surprised if you're knocked flat-out by the ban-hammer.

That said, welcome to the writing forums! I'll get to reading your story after I'm done a couple of things.
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  3. Garneac IndieGamers.com. Go there.

Ha. The acronym for A Reluctant Terrarian is ART. How nifty is that?

Moving on: I don’t know what to call what you’ve written as. A chapter? A section? I say this because the lack of a heading, and also because you mentioned you’ve “got as much again written.” In any case, I’ll just call it a chapter for the meantime.

That said, the chapter went down smooth. The main character(?) isn’t named yet, but that’s perfectly fine. I honestly didn’t realize the lack of a name until I read through the chapter twice.

Question: why is guide capitalized? Is that the actual name for the Guide? Or is it a nod towards the in-game NPC? If in your story the Guide actually has a name, then I’d suggest dropping the capital then.

It’s a brief chapter, but not hurried. And with the dangers of night close at hand, the next segment of ART should be interesting. (I’d change "night arises" to "nightfall" if I were you, but that’s a personal preference, I suppose. It’s just that nightfall sounds less awkward and stilted.)

Maybe it’s too early to say this, but you seem to abuse the italics (more so bit towards the end). Remember, treat the reader as if s/he isn’t a dunce. ;) Also, some of the words you chose to highlight didn’t seem to really need it. The same goes for your too-liberal use of ellipses. Some kinds of punctuation really should only be used sparsely. Like salt: just enough to give flavour, or else it’ll overpower everything else.

Next: why is it that you end dialogue with a full stop/period when it should be a comma?

should actually read:

The unnamed character’s speech at the end is a bit too on the nose. I think what bothered me, again, is the (unnecessary) italics. I think if you removed them then there’d be less awkward emphasis and more of a natural tone to his speech.

Still, it was a good chapter, and I liked it. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

Good luck with the rest of the story!
    Garneac
    Garneac
    Garneac
    As a courtesy, I'd ask if you could check out my own on-going story called The Dreamer and the God (the link is in my signature). Maybe just what you liked or disliked, or an in-depth critique if you're up to it. Your choice.
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  4. Spyder Z Hornet

>.>

You and I both. That's actually part of why I asked the questions I asked, so that I could decide how to frame the story.

Both? He's addressing the stranger as "Guide" as if it were his name because he doesn't have a name for him, and as a nod to the NPC.

It's actually supposed to sound "Off", so I'm glad it does. ;P (Expanded on Further)

This conversation is supposed to come across as both unnatural, and a bit broken in places for various reasons (MC-Yes, is out of sorts, and the Guide is "Off"). I am intentionally abusing some punctuation / italics (Though admittedly, I do have an appreciable weakness here... >.>) Part of that is I tend write as I speak, and I'm "Very" animated when I talk. ;P

Fixed. Overlooked. Thanks. ;P (Again, appreciable weakness here. :?)

I had glanced at it after your first post. I'll go back and read more of it later (Once I've worked through the writing I want to do tonight. ;P ) and leave what feedback I may have. Thanks for your reply and Feedback. ^.^
  5. Garneac IndieGamers.com. Go there.

No problem. Like I said, I enjoyed the bit you posted. Looking forward to what happens at night. :D
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  6. Spyder Z Hornet

For now I'll just put each section in it's own post. I happen to like that style while I'm reading these. ;P

Garneac: I'm reading through yours. It's rather long, which is certainly good. ^.^ (And I think I'm going to steal that "Link to the next section idea. It's rather clever. ;P )

“And what do you mean by that?” he yelled, beginning to lose his patience with this guy’s sideways speech.

“There are dangers at night for the unprepared, and for the immediate future, that includes you. To address your carrying concerns, take this as well...” the stranger replied, still unfazed, as he undid the belt of pouches he wore at his waist before tossing it to him.

Wearing what had to be a look of absolute disbelief, he caught the belt and just stood there looking at the stranger anew. Perhaps that piercing look he’d noticed before was merely madness, and this stranger was simply out of his mind. That would explain his near nonsensical answers… though; he looked too clean to be a mad man wandering alone in the woods… so it had to be something else…

“Listen, I don’t know what you’re talking about, and I’m not interested in finding out. Why don’t you just point me towards the nearest city, village, town, mud hut, what have you, and I’ll figure it out from there,” he responded impatiently, slowly lowering the belt, not sure if he wanted to put it on or not.

It wasn’t madness… the look he received was too keen, too… something else, to be madness. The nearly surreal pearly violet of the stranger’s eyes was almost “too” present… and there was something else… something that settled just beyond his awareness and menaced him from there. All in all, he was quickly becoming less comfortable in the stranger’s presence… until…

“Look… let me help you out…” the stranger said, his whole countenance seeming to fall in on itself causing him to look weary and travel worn. The keenness had completely left his gaze, and the menacing “Presence” was lifted. It was almost as if he’d just up and become an entirely different person right before his eyes.

“I’m sorry…” the stranger began, “I’ve been here for far longer than I’d wish on anyone, and sometimes… the place just gets to me. I’m sorry for coming across so cold. Let me show you something…” he finished, walking over to one of the nearer trees, “Oh, and put that belt on. You’ll see why in a few minutes.”

Still not sure he quite trusted this stranger, and very uneasy about what he’d just witnessed, he still decided that it “Probably” wouldn’t be dangerous to humor the guy for a little bit anyway. He was completely lost physically, and grasping at straws mentally, so in the hope that his compliance would lead to something he could be sure of, even if that something was how little he should trust the stranger, he decided to play along. At the least, he wasn’t inexplicably unsettled just being near to him.

“What is your name anyway?” he asked again as he put the belt on and made his way over to the tree.

“Heh, what did you call me earlier, Guile? That’s as good a name as any,” the stranger answered, undoubtedly more tired than it would have seemed possible moments before.

Not wanting to argue, he just accepted this odd response and gave Guile a look as to say “Now What?”…

Garneac likes this.
  7. Garneac IndieGamers.com. Go there.

(Forgive me the messiness of Ch.1. I promise you things get markedly better after that. :oops:)

Again, a really nice section that goes down smooth. I don't have trouble understanding what it is you're writing. Kudos.

You've some odd stylistic choices but we've already discussed that, and it's your prerogative in any case.

I quite like the way you phrased that line, and what it entails. He's unsure but gets this vague sensation of a threat or something. Nice.

So, theory time. If you want me to hide my ideas within spoiler tags, then just let me know.

Is the sudden shift in the guide's character a result of being taken over or something? Like, another presence? Or is it just like he's said: he's been in Terraria for so long he's been changed? Not that I'm asking for an answer, especially if you don't feel comfortable revealing things too early. Oh, is Guile a reference to another video game character or is it quite literally "insidious cunning in attaining a goal; crafty or artful deception; duplicity" (dictionary.com)? I had a small chuckle when I made the connection (if there is one, that is).

Well, until the next update then. :]
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  8. Spyder Z Hornet

Don't worry about hiding theories in spoiler tags. I (Probably?) won't end up discussing things about the story that I don't think have been clearly spelled out within the story. If there is room to speculate, it's either intentional, or I need to go back and revise a bit. ;P (So that said, the Guide's shift is intentionally vague at this point.)
    Hehehe, all I'll say at this point is that I'll be keeping "Game References" to Terraria.
  9. Garneac IndieGamers.com. Go there.

Intentionally vague? Gotcha.

(All that did was make me more curious. :p Which is what should happen, right?)
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  10. Spyder Z Hornet

I was going to just start the story, but for visual consistency I've put this note here. ;P

“Now just take a few blows at the tree with that axe and try not to be alarmed,” Guile said before stepping back from the tree in question.

Not sure what he should expect, he looked up at the tree for a moment before he began. They were certainly an odd sort of growth. Mostly trunk, with the odd few limbs and “Bobs” of leaves primarily closer to the top. Taking a deep breath, he drew back the axe and swung at the tree with all his might. This succeeded, in the blade glancing of the trunk and almost lodging itself into his leg. Dropping the axe due to the violent vibrations coursing through it and jumping back he turned on Guile ready to ask him what the big deal was, only to have his rage elevated by the laughter of his “Guide”.

“You… you’re… hahaha… you’re thinking about it too hard...” he managed to get out between his breaths.

“What the heck are you talking about!?” he hollered back, “What does that have to do with the tool not being sufficient for the task at hand?!” he yelled.

“The tool is just fine,” Guile responded, mostly composed. “You aren’t from around here, so trust me when I say you’re thinking about it too hard. I know it’s kind of hard to wrap your mind around, but you don’t need to understand it, you just need to work with it.”

“What it do I need to work with to cut down a blamed tree?!” he replied, still yelling.

“This world is a deeply magical place. I don’t know where you came from, but I can assure you that here… Everything is touched by the power of our world. If you don’t work with that power, you’re working against it… and,” his countenance darkened briefly, and for a moment that “Presence” was almost back, “that takes more than you have within your fleshy little frame…” he answered his voice once more distant, and empty, before returning to his previous demeanor, weary and travel worn, all trace of humor gone.

Chilled once more by this obvious change, he composed himself, and considered Guile’s words. “So… how do I do that?”

“Trust your tool, and not your strength,” his now somber guide answered him. “Here, the quality of your tools makes all the difference. You need not wear yourself out trying to make your tools work. Once assembled, your tools will work for you.”

This sounded like borderline nonsense, but he decided that it couldn’t hurt… hopefully… to give it a try. If this didn’t pan out though, he was going to chalk Guile’s ramblings up to insanity, of an uncertain kind, and find his own way. “So how do I Trust my Tool?”

“Just swing your axe at the tree. Don’t force it at the tree, just swing it, and know that it will cut it.”

Feeling absolutely ridiculous, he picked the axe back up, took a deep breath, and just swung it at the tree. Not trying to put his force behind the swing, he couldn’t imagine what he was supposed to be accomplishing.

The axe made a rather satisfying *Whump* and dug visibly into the bark.

A seemingly genuine smile crossed Guile’s lips and he motioned for him to continue his assault on the tree.

He wasn’t sure what had him more unbalanced. His lack of understanding his overall situation, the man who was more than he seemed, or the fact that merely swinging an axe without regard was enough to solidly dig into a tree that moments before had repelled his best effort. He wasn’t sure, and for the next few moments he didn’t care. There was something almost therapeutic about the steady *Whump* *Whump* *Whump* the axe made as it dug into the tree.

His few moments of respite were soon taken him from him however when his world erupted into a shower of wood.

Having lost himself in the steady rhythm of the axe, he was completely ill prepared for tree’s sudden explosion. Having already been through quite enough, he reacted as any reasonable person in an increasingly psychologically strenuous situation would have. He threw the axe with no regard to its landing place and ran screaming for cover.

With no destination, no idea where he was, and really, not enough sense to consider any of that at the moment, he charged headlong into the misshapen lightly wooded hills.

So the way I've written it in my word doc, this is the end of "Chapter 1", currently entitled, "An Introduction of Sorts".
    Mr. Mystery and Garneac like this.
  11. Spyder Z Hornet

And this is the beginning of "Chapter 2", currently going by, "The Welcoming Committee"

I'm not going to put a link here from the last bit, as it's uhhh.... ^Right There^. ;P

Chapter 2: The Welcoming Committee

What felt like anywhere between a few moments to a few hours of running nonstop passed before he collapsed brokenly to the ground. Tired, and now slowly realizing that he was even more lost than he was before, he rolled onto his back and tried to collect his breath and his senses.

As his breathing started returning to normal, and the sounds of the hills began to recede into the background, a peculiar noise stood out against the backdrop.

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

Sitting up quickly, he strained his ears trying to figure out where the sound was coming from.

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

Sitting at the bottom of a rather steep hill, he was almost sure…

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

No, he was certain, that the noise was coming from the other side of the Hill.

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

He was also certain that he wasn’t really interested in the noise, as much as he was afraid of it. Wishing he’d not tossed the axe in his fright, he was surprised when his hand closed on the handle of...

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

Standing up without dropping what he discovered was a crude sword with a copper blade, he turned to face the noise holding the weapon in front of him. Not sure what good a weapon he didn’t know how to use was going to be he looked up to see…

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

A large gelatinous wad of… something… land quivering on impact atop the hill. Wondering what could have possibly thrown that up there, he was taken aback when the green tinged glob of goo shuddered. He watched as its outer perimeter condensed down around its base and it’s inner mass raised itself into a dome shape *Shlorp* before *Plop*the dome snapped into the mass, breaking the seal formed by its perimeter and launching it into the air in his direction landing far too close to him for his comfort *fTchsh*.

He stumbled backwards falling over with the sword just barely still in his hands and raised it pointed at the blob as if he could threaten it away with this feeble gesture alone. It was unsurprisingly unfazed, not that he was certain it really had the capability to react.

*Shlorp, Plop* Thrusting the blade into the air and roaring while tensing up, not of a mind to fully think his actions through, he was surprised momentarily when * fTchsh* the blob landed on the other side of him. Not needing an invitation, he took this as an opportunity to scramble hurriedly to his feet with all the grace of a drunken foal trying to right itself and move to two legs, but not fast enough before,

*Shlorp, Plop,* “AaAaAaAAHHHHHH” he screamed, falling forward this time to the ground and thrashing around to fend off… *fTchsh* Nothing.

Looking around frantically, he noticed the goop hadn’t come back for him. In fact, it seemed to not even have noticed him.

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

Standing shaken, but otherwise unharmed, he watched as the blob of semi-transparent green goo just continued along its way.

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

*Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh*

“You’re lucky you didn’t stick that slime as it was coming past.” Guile’s voice informed him, abruptly focusing his dazed and shattered thoughts.
    Garneac likes this.
  12. Spyder Z Hornet

“Who the… What the…” looking around having not expected to hear his voice again, he didn’t see his would be guide anywhere.

"Had you stuck that slime, not only would you have had to deal with its rapid shift in demeanor, but Pinky happens to be watching you from the rocks over here." Guile informed him, coming out from behind a large mound of moss covered stones.

"Who's watching me?" he asked, startled, looking for someone else besides the strange man who had somehow found him again.

"Pinky, though it looks like it's leaving now," Guile answered, pointing at the stones where he thought he saw a small splash of color before it melted into the mound.

"What the Heck is going on here!” he shouted, sounding far meeker to himself than he liked.

The stranger shrugged, “Let’s see… you’re standing, shaking, in the middle of a lightly wooded area yelling at me for things I have absolutely nothing to do with. Am I close?” he asked, a weary look on his face.

Glaring at Guile, unable to completely shake the discomfort from earlier, he took a slow shuddering breath and tried to compose himself so that he could at least figure out what was going on, which was easier said than done.

“Listen, I don’t know where I am, I don’t know what’s going on, and I was almost attacked by a giant blob,”

“Slime.”

“Whatever!” he shouted, aggravated at having been interrupted while he was trying to organize his thoughts out loud.

“Listen, I know you’re not happy right now, but we don’t have time to sit here and discuss your problems,” Guile stated, intentionally speaking over his attempt to start talking again, and almost setting him off in the process. “If you thought a passing slime was something to be concerned about you would be wise to start preparing accommodations for the night. The dead are not as fearful of the moon as they are of the sun."

Giving Guile an incredulous look, he was reluctant to ask, "What do you mean by that?"

"What do you think I mean? With the sun just over halfway across the sky, you've not got too many hours of daylight left before the Zombies and Demon Eyes come looking for food. I'm told warm blood, and healthy flesh is irresistible to those who no longer have either." he answered.

"Wait, you expect me to believe..."

"Listen, I don't care what you believe," Guile interrupted him. "The facts are simple. You either spend the next few hours figuring out where you're going to hole up for the night, or I get to watch as the walking, flying dead tear you apart."

"And what about you, where do you hole up?" he asked, angry at the monotone way in which his guide was discussing his potential dismemberment.

"When you've been here as long as I have... No, let me take that back. Once you've been here long enough, you find that there are far greater dangers than those posed by the night. I no longer have anything to fear from them. You however just fell apart at the sight of a slime. So again," this time his voice took on the low hollow tone it held on their first meeting, and that presence was back, "Hide or not, it is your life to end as you wish.”

“And what the heck is That about!” he yelled at Guile, gesturing loosely towards the strange man who seemed to flip back and forth between creepy and travel worn.

I know this is certainly a unique trait of mine, but if you're reading this I'd love to hear what you think. Bad, Neutral, or possibly Good. ;P
    Mr. Mystery and Garneac like this.
  13. Spyder Z Hornet

A smile hiding just beyond the corners of his mouth, a smile that held no warmth, Guile responded, "This, is about giving you what you need to forge your own pathetic way. This, is about showing you that which you are incapable of seeing on your own. This... is about providing enough guidance for you to choose your own death." still in that distant, almost menacing tone.

Looking at the nearly blank expression on Guile's face, he could feel his anger slowly lumbering away under no volition of his own. As his shoulders deflated, he realized it wasn't that he felt any safer, but nothing made sense, nothing was as he expected it to be, and fighting it was only draining him of what energy he had left. As he slowly sunk to his knees, he realized that the more aggressively he struggled against the strange situation he found himself in, the less energy he had to figure things out, and he was nearing the edge of his ability to do both... not that he'd been successful at either.

Looking up he was surprised to see his actions had been mirrored. "Fine, just tell me what I need to do to survive the night. I'll start figuring the rest out after that." he replied in a tone that trudged out the very last bit of his struggle and pointedly buried it.

His voice weary once more, Guile responded, "Well, for starters, you can go grab your sword, take your axe back, and finish gathering some wood." with another warmer smile now skirting the borders of his expression.

"About that, what happened with that tree back there?" he asked, looking around for the sword that he'd found.

"It's a product of this world's design. The natural magic here is focused around creation... well, most of it is." Guile started telling him as he got to his feet and walked over to where the sword had skittered, "When you fell a tree, you aren't Destroying a tree, but Creating wood. As the trees drink the magic of this world from the acorn up, they naturally reflect that transition.”

Picking the sword up, he realized for the first time how light it was. He wasn’t sure what good a sword that felt as if it were possibly hollow would do in a struggle, but he had no intention of putting himself in a situation to find out. Walking back to Guile, he helped the strange man to his feet and asked, “So, where’s the axe?”

What he saw next would have upset him even minutes before, but he was too weary to work up the energy it would take to so much as jump. One second Guile was standing there with nothing in his hands, and then the next had him holding the axe he’d tossed in his fright earlier and raising it for him to take. A slight hesitation, nothing more, and he took the axe. The strange man had many talents so it seemed.

Standing there with an axe, which he noticed was also lighter than he would have thought, in one hand and a sword in the other, he asked, “So how am I supposed to gather wood while carrying both of these?”

“I’ll give you credit, you’re doing a good job of not asking me where the axe came from, but in this instance both answers are directly related. You should store the sword in your pouches, that will free up your hands to use the axe,” Guile answered him, a small, but friendly smile now fully on his face.

Looking down at the pouches he’d been given earlier, he couldn’t help but feel silly imagining an entire sword fitting in one of them. Reaching down to open one of the small pouches, he froze as he realized that he was doing it with an empty hand. Looking down for the sword, his gut lurched as the weapon reappeared in his hand. Sitting rather heavily on the ground, he dropped both weapons and took a moment to compose himself.

Breathing just raggedly he said, “Go ahead. Tell me what just happened.”

Hey, even if it's just to say, "It's boring", "I don't hate it", or "TLDR" I would love to hear what you think. ;P
    Garneac likes this.
  14. nababoo Dark Caster

Nice story you got there...
    I like the way you make the Guide appear... Menacing. I would say that he's annoying, taking up some room when another, more valuable NPC could be in his place. XD
  15. Spyder Z Hornet

Hehehe, I figure he's more interesting this way. Glad you like it. ;P

Oh, and this starts the third chapter, currently entitled "Wholeing Up".

Chapter 3: Wholeing Up

"Well, I'll give you credit. You've managed to make use of the pouches without any real instruction. I'm going to guess, based on your reaction though, that it's been unintentional." Guile said.

"I haven't so much as thought about these things since you've given them to me," he replied, shaking his head and looking down at the weapons that were sometimes there, sometimes not.

"So let me guess, you just happened to find that sword lying around when you needed it," Guile stated, a knowing half smirk on his face.

"Well... yeah," he answered, realizing that he had been too distracted to consider it at the time.

"Well... no, it was in the pouches, the same place you just pulled it from a moment ago." Guile responded.

Looking down at the pouches, he again tried to imagine how a sword could possibly fit into one of them. As he did, the weapon lying beside him just kind of popped out of existence. Starting just a bit, he took a slow breath, and tried imagining where the sword could have gone, at which point he could feel it pop into his hand, and he watched as it rapidly faded into view, not something he would have been able to describe had he not experienced it himself.

"Sooo... what, do I just have to imagine where my sword is when I want to move it, ahh... in and out of the pouches?" he asked, popping the axe in and out of existence as he did.

"If that's how it's working for you, then sure." Guile answered. “Technically, your pouches react to your desires while following the flow of this world’s magic. So if you intend to put something in them, or you come across a resource you can carry in them, they pull things inside. For example, I noticed that your pouches picked up a few pieces of that tree that you were working on earlier,” he added.

Had he not spent the last few moments watching his tools appear and disappear, he would have had a harder time buying the idea of his pouches grabbing wood without his knowledge. As it was he tried to imagine the wood in his pouches, and was only mildly surprised at the pop and rapid fading in the wood then did.

Looking down at the smooth, almost finished piece of wood in his hand, he had a hard time reconciling that with the tree he had been working on. “Wait a minute… why does this wood look like it’s been finished already?”

Chuckling, Guile, who was now acting more and more as the guide he introduced himself as answered, “It’s as I said before. You didn’t destroy a tree, you created wood. That is the wood you created.”

“It kind of sounds like a silly Half Full, Half Empty… thing,” he replied.

“Whatever you wish to call it, that wood is the product of the tree you felled earlier. Now, nightfall isn’t going to take it’s time getting here so if I were you, I’d get started creating more.” Guile stated, no malice in his voice this time.

Garneac likes this.
  16. Garneac IndieGamers.com. Go there.

Still typing away, I see. ;)

You're taking to heart Terraria's gameplay mechanics, which is cool, and I'm finding the main character's reactions believable enough. There's an air of "wtf?" to his reactions that makes me smile.

As for this: *Shlorp, Plop, fTchsh* It's your story, again, but I won't deny raising a brow. o_o

Because you're posting in chunks, and over a period of time, it feels as if night will take forever to come, but that's only because of the RL timing. In-story, things are moving at a good clip., so kudos.

So, yeah. Nothing much else to say. Will keep an eye out for the further episodes of your bi-polar Guide. Oh, and is the main character gonna get a name? I mean, I'm sure you've already thought of one. I guess you're just waiting for when it seems to natural to bring it up?
  17. EpicXeno Green Slime

I like the characters, they are easy to connect with. The story itself does keep a nice easy to follow dialogue. Some dialogues can get monotonous but not these. +1 for you sir.
  18. Spyder Z Hornet

Garneac: Hehehe, that's one of the things I enjoy when putting together a "Fan Fiction". Putting the gameplay elements into the story in a "Believable" way. :p
    As for the slime, I'm designing it's movement around the "Popper" toy dome thing that you invert to send it flying. As for tge Main Character's name.... we'll see.

EpicXeno: Thank you kindly sir. ;P

“Sure… but one more thing first, what else are these pouches holding? And how am I supposed to remember what I put in them if these things just kind of disappear when I think about putting them up?” he asked.

“That’s two things, though one answer… sort of,” Guile responded. “You don’t have to worry about remembering everything you place in them. The pouches will keep track of that. Now as to looking through them, put your hand into one of them, and close your eyes.”

Not sure what to expect, he did as he was told. “And…?” he asked.

“Heh, I was curious as to how far you would be able to go on your own,” Guile responded, “Now, just kind of feel around, but not with your hand.”

Trying to follow the same track that was working before, he tried imagining what was stored inside the pouches. As he did this, he could almost see several stacks of wood and, oddly enough, a pickaxe. He didn’t see them in any material way. It was almost an intuition, as if he just knew they were there and he could picture them if he focused on them enough. He tried to imagine the pickaxe and he could feel his hand close around its handle. Opening his eyes, and looking down, he could still feel the pickaxe, though his hand was still in the pouch.

Pulling his hand out, he watched as the pickaxe slowly faded into view, much like the other tools did when he thought about them. He imagined it returning to the pouch, and it popped out of existence. “And why do I have that?” he asked.

“You’ll need it before too long. For now, I’ve answered your questions and the sun is notably more than halfway across the sky. Start working on collecting wood, and I’ll show you how to put together a simple structure for you to hide from the night in.” he answered firm, but not menacingly.

Frustrated by how much he didn’t know, but deciding that he’d probably better get started, if Guile was this persistent, he put the sword and the wood he’d pulled out into the pouches and picked up the axe, walking over to a small cluster of trees. Remembering not to think about it too hard, he began rhythmically swinging the axe.

*Whump* *Whump* *Whump* *Whump* *Whump* Whump*

Also remembering what happened the last time, he braced himself as he continued.

*Whump* *Whump* *Whump* *Whump* *Whump* Whump*

Not liking the uncertainty he felt about this, he prepared himself for…

*Whump* *Whump* *Whump* *Whump* “Whoa!”

He couldn’t help it. He hollered, and jumped away from the tree as it exploded into a shower of what looked still unbelievably like finished wood. He noticed that several pieces of the wood popped out of view as they blew towards him, and that the rest of the wood had rained down in a small radius around the stump. Taking a steadying breath, he walked over towards the rest of the wood, and imagined it going into the pouches. It was a strange experience walking around a tree stump as wood vanished in front of him.

Garneac and Silvergod like this.
  19. EpicXeno Green Slime

The thing I like most is the actual gameplay mechanics. Most people who incorporate them don't have as good an explanation. The story I am writing on the other hand uses real world mechanics. So in the late game, my character shall be lugging two weapons and some supplies while yours can have an inventory of pwnhammers. Still, keep it up! I'm waiting for the next installment!
  20. Spyder Z Hornet

Hehehe, I don't think he'll have "That", but we'll see how his inventory works for him as the tale winds on. ;P

He didn’t know how he was going to be able to get used to this weirdness, but at the least he was expecting it now, sort of. He continued to work on the trees, moving from one to the next, not really sure how much wood he’d need to build whatever kind of lean to Guile was going to teach him to construct with this strange wood. He also wasn’t sure what he’d use to fasten it together, or what he’d use to secure the fasteners. He figured he probably needed a hammer. Reaching down towards the pouches, he was almost surprised when one didn’t materialize into his hand, which was kind of funny to him when he considered that not having a hammer appear out of thin air almost surprised him.

“Well it looks like culling the trees is lightening your mood at least” his strange guide said, breaking into his wandering thoughts, and low chuckles. “In fact, I think that’s the first hint of a smile I’ve seen anywhere near your face since you’ve woken up,” he added, wandering over to him.

Remembering that he’d woke up that morning lying on the ground with no idea where he’d come from was a nice cold wake-up from wherever it was his mind had started to wander. Pausing from his work, he looked at Guile, “About that…”

“No, I don’t know where you came from, I don’t know how you got here, and I don’t know what’s wrong with your memories.” Guile answered the questions he didn’t have the chance to ask.

“Wait… I haven’t said anything to you about any of that…” he said feeling a sudden chill that had nothing to do with the rapidly approaching nightfall.

“While that’s not entirely accurate, it doesn’t really matter. You are not the first to turn up here like this.” Guile responded, looking for all the world as if each word was slowly pulling energy from him.

“What do you mean? There are others here who don’t know where they came from? Where are they?” he asked now turning away from the tree completely.

“Most of them are either dead, or have… moved on, as you may hope to do at some point.” Guile answered him.

“Wait, Most of them? So there are others here then?” he asked again, strangely comforted by the idea that there may be others in his situation.

“There are many who have come to Terraria, all of whom have a role to play,” Guile replied, “But that is not a conversation for now. The sun is mostly gone. It is now time to begin constructing your shelter.”

Looking up at the sky, he was surprised to see how low the sun had gotten while he’d been working on the trees. He really had lost himself to his work. Looking around, he was likewise surprised to see how many trees he’d cleared. Biting back his retort, he decided it would probably be in his best interest to go along… again.

“Fine... how much more wood do I need?” he asked, not really giving in, but deciding he’d better get to this if he wanted to have time to pursue this later.

“That’s actually why I came over. You have collected enough for a basic shelter. It will not be roomy, and it will do little more than allow you the opportunity to keep your insides, well... inside, but for now it will suffice.” Guile answered.

Garneac, Hamdrax and Silvergod like this.