An intelligent discussion

Discussion in 'Console' started by Paragal, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Paragal

Paragal Green Slime

After what seems like ages of creeping around the forums without ever voicing an opinion, I've finally decided that I would like to put my own two cents in. I would like to start by saying I am trilled to now officially be a part of the Terraria family. So lets begin.

Firstly, Loki ISP is my new hero. I'll try to keep my love affairs private, but the work he has put in to getting the community's questions answered has been remarkable to say the least. Thank you for your constant devotion to the community and to the game we all know and love. Keep up the great work.

Now for a little side not before talking about recent developments in the game. Every single day I see people with both excitement and disgust. While everyone has an equal right to post their opinion, just as I do, I think it is pointless to post in the console thread about PC updates. Anyone who reads these forums more than once has surely seen hundreds of these posts. Mayyybe even daily. Tone it down. 505 has done an amazing job with what they can. They hold absolutely no rights to the PC version and as such can't touch it any more than you or me.

GAME TALK! (Jeeze that guy talks alot.)

Before I go in to my rant, I would like to admit that I am a HUGE noob. I only recently beat the game on my mediumcore character, But I did experience the entirety of the game.

Alright. Now for the part you just wasted your time reading for. (or did you??) As far as new items, I personally believe it is a marketing strategy to only show re-colors. The more mad you get about re-colors, the more grateful you will be when you see that they have added in some truly new experiences to the game. This is all speculation of course.

On the same note of marketing strategies, I get an uneasy feeling from the phrase, "A new final boss" This could be interpreted in a couple of different ways. First, is the work final. I'm sure everyone wants the game to be patched and added on to, so the word final can be a scary one. However, you could also read that as a NEW final boss. Which would imply that Skeletron is the final boss pre-hard mode and then you have the destroyer and the twins and you wrap it up with skeletron prime, The hard mode "Final" boss. So on those lines we could easily see a "new final boss after the released final boss.

New mobs. The biggest thing that comes to mind is The Demons. With the addition of new colored demons we could easily see new uses for them. In current PC vanilla we have the voodoo demon, and the normal demon. Voodoo demon's are in the game to scare the living hell out of you when you almost drop the doll in the lava without preparing, and regular demons are in the game to never drop you the demon scythe. With those pointed out we could easily see new drops from a potentially rare demon, or even a hard mode demon that drops new materials for gear. Currently the possibilities are endless.

Pets. I didn't get the collectors edition so naturally I don't have a bunny. Sad, I know. Vanity items are always a great way to fill out the game. Half of the fun of being in the best armor is dressing up so no one can appreciate it. :) The addition of more pets is a great idea to add that level of accomplishment.

Achievements. I've seen some people speculate on these and I think it will be amazing to not only beat the game but also have those added challenges.

Audience. To be perfectly honest, Loki said it best when he suggested that new content was just the icing on the cake. I personally don't care if I get anything brand new to begin with or even after that, for that matter. I believe that the Xbox/PS3 ports bring in a new audience. In my case, my girlfriend, who will be forced to play the game with me. I can't wait to share that experience with her and all of my other "non-PC" gamers.

After that point, I believe I'm out of things to waste your time with. If you have thoughts or opinions, Please do, reply. I would love to hear what you think.

~~Para~~

2. Loki ISP

Loki ISP Moderator Staff Member

Good first post and welcome aboard. I've enjoyed getting to see all of the new (or old lurkers no longer lurking) folks jumping in. Such a refreshing time when contrasted with 2012. :)

Thank you for your kind words. I do all that I can to be an effective liason and advocate between the community and the devs/staff. Not that folks can't do it themselves, but sometimes it helps to have a way to escalate things.

I hope you are right about the recolors, but I doubt it. Then again, as we agreed, who really cares all that much in the end? ;)

I suspect final boss was less suggesting an "end" and more just a new "higher tier" boss.

Cheers and welcome aboard! :)

Oscurita, 505Games, Lbphart3 and 3 others like this.
  3. PowerCosmic

PowerCosmic Werewolf

This is the point I want to touch on, because this is where it matters most to me.

Those of us who still play Terraria to this day don't so because we're expecting some big grand updates that will change the dynamic of the game. Rather, I feel sharing the game with new people will change the dynamic far more than new items will.

It has an effect on how your bases will look, how you'll share resources, how you'll attack new biomes / bosses / etc. This is what makes the game interesting to me, not getting a new item to collect; regardless of whether or not it's new content or a recolor. It is the backdrop of the greater experience for myself.

In any event, it's good to see that there's more talkative people out there showing up, who can bring something to the table that isn't just a cheap one-liner framed solely to incense people.

Maybe Loki and I will see you on Xbox Live?

ClintonW and Loki ISP like this.
  4. Paragal

Paragal Green Slime

Of course! PowerCosmic, I completely agree with what you said. I believe we are both on the same page. You just seem to be able to word it better :) I'm a serious forum noob since most of my time is spent lurking so im not sure how to quote you, but I completely agree with resource management and such. I believe that playing with my girlfriend for instance, should provide a completely new experience from when I played with one of my good guy friends.

I Agree that we don't play the game solely for the next huge game changing patch, however if this patch maintained the terrarian feel, I don't know a player who wouldn't welcome it with open arms.

To Loki ISP, I think I may be correct on the recolors because we have started to get wind of new sprites. I personally believe they will save any new sprites to be explored, rather than ruin the spirit of adventure. After all, Nothing beats finding something new that works great for your build when you didn't know it existed.

Thank you both for your warm welcome, and you will absolutely see me on Xbox live. If you wish to jump the gun, My gamer tag is TheParagor. Leave me a message or a voice message saying that you are from the Terraria forums and I will accept you with open arms. :)

On a last note. If there are any couples planning on playing, please do let me know. It will be easier to ease a woman in to the game if there is already a woman playing :)

Keep the ideas coming, ~~Para~~

PowerCosmic likes this.
  5. PowerCosmic

PowerCosmic Werewolf

Hit the "Reply" button on the bottom right of the message if you want to quote somebody as such.

I don't know a lot about 505 Games, but I think I can tell that Redigit cares about this game. It's his baby, and he wants to protect it and make sure it stays on track. I might be overstepping my bounds with that assertion, and that is of course just my opinion based on observation... but that's why I have the utmost confidence that 505 Game's console port will stay true to the "feel" of Terraria.

I plan on changing my gamertag soon, and as soon as I get that sorted out, I'll be tossing you a Friend Request ASAP. :)

Oscurita and 505Games like this.
  6. Loki ISP

Why did I not know that, PC? Always the last to know....

Para....easier for you to just send me one...my list is pretty full, and I'm going to have to do some management very soon. The GT should be obvious. I only ask that folks identify SPECIFICALLY who they are, as I'm going to have to be somewhat judicious (apologies) and I have some slots reserved for certain folks. ;)

We shall see what 505 has in store. Clearly I'm not at liberty to say anything even if I knew....but I'm trying to get folks expectations centered around the new social experience with content as gravy and not vice versa. I hope you are correct, of course!

7. Paragal

Paragal Green Slime

Yeah but I'm one of those people. We're good :p Ill be sure to trow you an invite with a voice message so you know who I am.

8. Gmodlol61

Gmodlol61 Necromancer

"intelligent discussion"
    I won't allow it!
    hoe do i play it on this site.

9. Loki ISP

Heh...indeed, we shall see. ;)

Perhaps I'll need multiple rooms.

Regardless, I'll add yours to the short list of GTs.

(I know that sounds arrogant, but I really am limited)

10. Aadrian1234

Aadrian1234 Fire Imp

Loki, I'm thinking about adding you to play with once Terraria comes out, but I wanna know a few things before I add you.
    How old are you? (I'm 16 BTW, and try and act mature, but my immature side comes out occasionally)
    What other games and game genre's do you like? (I like FPS's, Action games, some platformers, Minecraft, and RPG's like Skyrim)

About my immature side, it just consists of me making weird noises when something surprises me or cracking a few sexual jokes if I know the person well enough. I still tone it down when around people I don't know well, so it won't be a problem, and if you don't like it, I'll just stop if its offending you. I do have a couple of friends who act very immature, so if the party is open ill appear offline so they can't join.

If you are fine with me adding you, My GT and PSN is Aadrianseth

11. Loki ISP

My age in my profile is accurate.

Genres are varied, though I prefer cooperative game experiences nowadays vs competitive.

Game time is limited and split between gw2 and consoles.

Again, happy to hear from anyone, but I want folks to be sure to know that my list and gaming time have limits....so I hope folks understand.

That said, I look forward to gaming with some of the folks here from TO. :)

(Should probably get this thread back on topic now. ;). )

TheUnrealMegashark likes this.
  12. Paragal

Paragal Green Slime

Topic? Right. I love you Loki. Wait....... That wasn't the topic..

Icwutudidther.

So. Here we are at the beginning of March. Terraria is scheduled to release soonish. What do you think? Will it release? If it doesnt release this month do you think players will lose interest?

Add something for me. If you have an interesting topic about Terraria, please do start it. I wouldnt mind taking a swing at it.

~~Para~~

13. Loki ISP

Terraria console will release mid month. It will be epic.

Terraria 1.2 will launch two months later on the second anniversary of Terraria. It will be a mindfuck that will destroy lesser brains.

The oracle at Loki-phi has spoken. :p

14. Aadrian1234

Aadrian1234 Fire Imp

Umm, was that really you Loki? You seemed a bit... out of character.

Gmodlol61 likes this.
  15. Loki ISP

Yep, it was me....with a ton of beer inside. ;)

Outside of the curse word, I don't see what was so wrong with my predictions. :)

16. Onionspam

Onionspam Mouse

Would you mind being a little more specific? What do you think will change in 1.2?

17. Loki ISP

I'd point you to the released spoilers thus far (follow the link from the front page)...other than that, I have no more specifics to share. :)

18. Onionspam

Onionspam Mouse

Oh thanks...I got confused. I thought you meant Terraria console 1.2 in your original post when you were actually talking about a new PC update...my brain is still asleep. Anyway thanks for pointing out that post on the front page. I've bookmarked the forum page so I always skip that page, which seems kinda goofy now that I think about it.