Beehive Farming!

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by Qvazzler, May 23, 2011.

1. Qvazzler

Qvazzler Green Slime

Overview
    A beehive full of bees that you can control mainly to make monsters slightly unable to attack you, but also to pull a gag on your friends saying "guys I found some NPBees!" and the bees will start punching your friends with very little damage for fun.

Developers have stated that they are planning to add crops to the game, so this could also be a possible feature along with having crops to manufacture honey. Honey can in turn be used to create.. something!

Name: Beehive
    Type: A Beehive - http://s1.hubimg.com/u/255108_f520.jpg
    How to Craft: X Wood, Y Sunflowers, Queen Bee in a bottle. (Not settled)

Usage
    A beehive can be placed anywhere on grass, dirt or mud (preferrably grass). As they are placed they will spawn 3-4 bees at a time with 10 seconds interval where the limit of bees at the same time is 10 to 30 (depending on how much it would drain the system).

Bees do very little damage but they still provide a knockback, making them quite an annoying enemy. They also die fairly easily.

Here's the trick. If you carry a sunflower with you (because the game doesn't have honey yet), the bees will all suddenly love you! They follow you to the ends of the world, and they will attack everyone (including players, although it will still only be for 1 damage, turning it into a bit of a gag joke). The inconvenient part is that once you unwield your sunflower, they will become normal bees who only attack everything except monsters. Without their precious Beehive they will also lose HP every second until they eventually wither away.

How do you get a Queen Bee?
    Queen Bees are hard to come by, but they are attracted by wild (or placed) sunflowers. Every minute or so they starting flying around a sunflower for a few seconds only to slowly fly up into the sky again for the next flower. If you hit it once it will deal average damage around 25 around you, (possibly poison over time as well?), but it should only have about 35.

Final thoughts and concept idea
    I personally think this would add a fun factor to the game! Perhaps in the future people can even use these beehives as containers where honey will spawn inside of them, but I choose not to digress too far. Hell, even making bottles able to catch a type of monster sounds demanding enough!

I would also like to mention that the bees don't need to be fast, but they should have some sort of "charging" attack followed by going back in the position they were before charging. When they are idle they just float around in slightly random circles around the player (Bee man!). Preferrably they all charge at the same time to make it look a lot cooler when they charge in!

Variations
    Surely enough, bees don't need to be that complicated! Perhaps it would be enough with that bees attack anyone that dares come close to the beehive, requiring you to kill them and loot the beehive timely enough not to get knocked back before they respawn again (thus losing access to the beehive inventory screen).

Yet again, various implementations could be made such as making Sunflowers a tool to be wielded in order for bees to simply not attack you while you farm for honey.

Having somewhat "unpredictable" bees that will attack anyone who comes close (we're talking 3-4'ish blocks distance from the beehive which is the same size as a chest) will hopefully trigger the players own creativity making him start thinking "hmm, the bees are hard to handle. What would be the best way to tackle this situation?".

2. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox World Feeder

I quite like the idea of beehives for farming honey, another part that you could add to your town :) Not sure about them following you around and attacking though, I think they should just passively flying around near the bee hive (preferably very small so only a couple of pixels, if they were too big they'd look weird), as that would fit better with this game. I think if/when they add pets they'll be better suited to following your player around, maybe even introduce a giant bee pet :)

3. Qvazzler

Qvazzler Green Slime

Perhaps you are right!

I thought since the devs are planning on making some sort of harvesting system and there have been interesting discussions about pets, I'd combine the two into something kewl.

Thank you for putting the thread in your compendium, now we can only hope that it won't drown in rpg bullcrap.

4. TaviO!

TaviO! Green Slime

The idea of farming honey is very cool, but I don't think it would compensate to spend a lot of time programming the combat part of the bees. I don't think they would be very useful for anything other than producing honey.

5. BendixY

BendixY Green Slime

T think this might be a good idea, but i think we'll have to wait and see how the farming thing will be.

6. Gez

Gez Voodoo Demon

Even that is massively inconvenient unless everyone is equipped with cobalt shields.

7. Jderz

Jderz Green Slime

Would love this added. Sounds like so much fun. It would really add to the building part of the game!

8. Qvazzler

Qvazzler Green Slime

Thanks for your constructive criticism everyone.

Yes, honey is something I hope the devs would catch on with and sort of draw the inspiration for that our by themselves (since they probably already got plans ruled out on how the crops should work), also possibly causing a little spark in a programmers eye where I leave something untold.

Surely enough, bees don't need to be that complicated! Perhaps it would be enough with that bees attack anyone that dares come close to the beehive, requiring you to kill them and loot the beehive timely enough not to get knocked back before they respawn again (thus losing access to the beehive inventory screen).

Yet again, various implementations could be made such as making Sunflowers a tool to be wielded in order for bees to simply not attack you while you farm for honey.

Having somewhat "unpredictable" bees that will attack anyone who comes close (we're talking 3-4'ish blocks distance from the beehive which is the same size as a chest) will hopefully trigger the players own creativity making him start thinking "hmm, the bees are hard to handle. What would be the best way to tackle this situation?".

I'm sure there are countless of amazing suggestions while I have yet to read far from all of them, so I once again thank everyone for their opinions on this particular thread. :)

9. suckapunch

suckapunch Cursed Skull

A-lot more in-depth version of my idea for a Bee-hive! I shall support this merely because I love anything involving the hornet and bees.... >.<