blood moons,clowns and unprotected rooves OH MY!

Discussion in 'PC' started by Sibuna, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Sibuna Green Slime

hey peeps new here, i bought this game a couple weeks ago cause all my friends were playin it and ive been hooked since.

anywhozzle the point of the thread is that since my base is on a floating island its the only place for enemies to spawn. normally they dont anyway cause all my npc buddies live wit me, buuuuut... on BLOOD MOONS they tend to popup on my roof (the only nonwalled area) at a ridiculous rate which i wouldn't even care to much except for the fucking clowns blowin holes all over the place.

so basically i wanna know how to prevent surface spawning completely or just some anticlown solutions... please and thanks!
  2. lord_vinvis Doctor Bones

cover your roof with lava? anticlown solutions: dungeon brick your house. or obsidian.
  3. Tunnel King Moderator

Best defense against clowns is: don't be at your base during a blood moon. Enemies spawn where YOU are, so be elsewhere.

Since you're on a floating island, and presumably have wings or at least a Lucky Horseshoe, build yourself a bunker out of dungeon brick on the surface below the island, and jump down to it during a blood moon. You'll draw the mobs away from your house.
    Obsidian isn't bomb-proof, but raw hardmode ores (cobalt/mythril/adamantite) are, as of course are dungeon bricks.
    KLouD KoNNeCteD likes this.
  4. lord_vinvis Doctor Bones

ah, sorry, I was thinking minecraft
  5. Sibuna Green Slime

the bunker is neat idea especially since i wanted to mark the surface below with something... but id rather not have to drop everything in the middle of sorting loot or something just because its that time of the month.

dungeon brick doesnt really protect my garden the way its built plus its a pretty limited color pallete...

what if i put a row of brick background across the roof? or uhh.... spikes! do enemies spawn on spikes?
  6. ahamling27 Map Expert/Admin

Spikes don't damage enemies, only lava does. I'd say if you don't want to build a roof out of dungeon brick, your options are very limited. There really isn't anything you can do about it, brick background walls won't change anything.
  7. KLouD KoNNeCteD Floaty Gross

As was already said your best bet is to leave when a blood moon starts. Yes you have to drop everything you are doing but it isn't like they happen all that often.
  8. lord_vinvis Doctor Bones

If you look on my creation thread( which has a picture of my base) You'll see a bunker. ( and possibly quite a lot of inactive stone. I just go into the bunker if I want to, shut down the house, or venture into the night and slaughter zombies.
  9. LaDestitute Mouse

Hey, what's an acceptable minimum height for building bases above ground? Like a sky base. Mostly concerned about clowns, and wyverns. So, high enough so they can't reach it, low enough so I don't get wyverns
  10. Tunnel King Moderator

Wyverns will spawn at about floating island height. If Harpies are spawning somewhere before you kill WoF, there's a very good chance of wyverns there afterward. So, lower than that. It also depends on your world size - smaller worlds have lower ranges for wyverns. I had a medium world once where wyverns could reach some higher surface mountains.

10-20 blocks from the surface is plenty high enough to keep Clowns and Wraiths out of your base, in my experience. Low enough to grapple to.