Can the Terraria.exe be distributed?

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Taergehtekim, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Taergehtekim Squirrel

So in the modding section rules there is this under the list of things that your mod cannot be:

"Nothing that distributes the game code"

I've browsed google a bit, but answers still seem somewhat ambiguous as to what is and isn't allowed here. More specificially, does distributing the source code refer to distributing the actual source code (cs files, etc.) or does it also refer to the compiled source code?

To take a solid example and settle this once and for all, say I make a Terraria.exe, and that's my mod. Would that technically be all right to distribute according to the aforementioned rule (so long as it still requires steam to open), or not?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Taergehtekim Squirrel

Sorry for the double post, but I kind of need to know this before I can release my mod, and if this isn't the case if there are alternatives. It's a server/client mod that adds packets. I guess I haven't looked into TConfig really, but I'd imagine that it wouldn't be able to do that. I could be wrong, though.
  3. Shockah Grandson of the Wizard

Well, tConfig uses an installer, that actually unpacks the EXE. No source code, though. That isn't really allowed. I think.
    And yes, tConfig CAN use custom packets. Actually, many of my mods use these.
    Yoraiz0r likes this.
  4. Taergehtekim Squirrel

Aha, I see. Thanks for the info, perhaps in the future I'll try out TConfig instead, though from what you've said it sounds like it's OK to replace the EXE file as long as no source code is distributed in raw form.