Can't even START the server?

Discussion in 'In-Game Support Archive' started by cro_falcon, May 18, 2011.

1. cro_falcon Green Slime

Hello,
    I've read a whole bunch of threads on this forum, and the closest one I found was people having SocketException errors, but on trying to connect to their own server etc.
    The problem I'm having is, I don't seem to be able to even start a server, getting this error:
    Code:
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException(0x80004005): An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
    Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
  2. cro_falcon Green Slime

bump, still need help, please
  3. Nevemoth Demon Eye

What happens when you click, "Start Server"? Is it that error? Or are you able to select the world and set the server password before starting it?
  4. cro_falcon Green Slime

I can click Start Server, made a new small world, named it, put a password(or no password), it goes through all the generating (or some of it atleast) and then I get the error :S
  5. Nevemoth Demon Eye

Hmm. Do you have any other instances of Terraria running at the same time? In my experience (I've had one or two errors like this myself) a restart of my computer usually fixes whatever problem I was experiencing. Try restarting your computer, and then loading up just one instance of Terraria. Then, go into single player, create a world, and then use that newly created world to load up your multiplayer server. See if that works.
  6. cro_falcon Green Slime

nah I had the problem last night, and I just came back home from uni, freshly started up my PC, and it still doesnt work :/
    P.S. I just got it to start on my laptop... guess I need help figuring out what is blocking it on the PC...
  7. Zarat Green Slime

The error message says windows doesn't allow terraria running a server. Make sure there's no other server running on the terraria port.

Another reason I could imagine is if you're using Windows 7 is that you have your network settings set up as "public place" or something which by default may forbid running a server? Also if you have any odd network adapters installed on the network control panel, try disabling them, terraria server currently takes whatever network adapter it finds first, not necessarily your network card.
  8. cro_falcon Green Slime

I tried changing the stack order, putting my LAN adapter at the top :/ And after that I installed hamachi.... may be a thing with the virtual router that I enabled some time ago :/