Official Console/505 Games Feedback and Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Console' started by Loki ISP, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Loki ISP Moderator

Ok, so I wanted to have a consolidated place for the community to provide thoughts on the ongoing console development and developers.

What is fair game here?
    Questions on the console version.
    Questions to 505, their past involvement with Terraria, etc
    Feedback on what you have seen in the trailer and other announcements.
    Feedback on contests - like the ongoing meme contest.

What is not for this thread?
    Raging about the lack of PC development (off topic)
    Raging that this is happening (there are other places to do so)
    Providing content suggestions (use the suggestions section and point 505 to any ideas you particularly love)
    Speculation (make your own thread and/or utilize the couple that exist in this section already)

I will watch this thread closely and try to moderate things in the pursuit of great community-dev relations. :)
    I will also endeavor to update this OP from time to time.
    ----------------
    To start with, I'm going to link a few things below:

505 Announcements
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-coming-soon-to-consoles-with-brand-new-content.91789/
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/505-games-to-take-lead-on-terraria-console-port.91794/
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/505-games-follow-up-to-the-console-announcement.92006/

505/Terraria Console FAQ: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/faq.92842/

Terraria Console Trailer: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-console-trailer.92461/

Terraria Console Orca Meme Contest: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/meme-competition.93017/

Also, here was my rough draft list of questions I had gathered about a week or do ago...
    505/Console Port Key Community Questions (open)

505 FAQ

Possible key questions:

Who is 505 games, and how did this agreement come about/how is 505 connected to Terraria prior to this? What does it cover?

What is the expected launch date for the console version of Terraria?

Which consoles will be supported with the initial rollout, and are there any plans to expand this post launch?

Is 505 responsible for the PC version of Terraria as well?

Will any of 505's new content be made available to PC players?

What is Redigit's level of involvement with the console port?

Is there a trailer anywhere so that I can see what to expect?

Is that really an Orca? Can you tell us more? Any other teasers from the trailer?

What are 505's plans to interact with the existing Terraria community? Will existing suggestions be explored for inclusion in the console game?

Are there any plans for post launch dlc updates?

Game Mechanics & Specifics
    How many players will be supported for co-op and PVP play? How will this work vs the pc interface?

How will the mouse&keyboard control scheme map over to console controllers?

New content. What is being explored (mobs, gear, biomes, etc)?

Hoping this can serve to be a centralized and open forum where we can share thoughts and feedback on this specific area outside of the broader issues the community has with "certain other things". ;)

Cheers!
    Sable, nababoo and 505Games like this.
  2. walllster Piranha

Q1) I was disappointed when I found out about not being able to tame/ride Wyverns. Any chance in it happening? :p
    Q2) Will there be a cursor like on the PC version or are you planning to implement something else?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. :>
  3. Jeckel Moderator

I guess I have two pieces of feedback at the moment.

First, so far I am rather impressed with 505's actions. Presence and interaction with the community is the exact thing that we have been lacking since the departure of Blue. I won't personally be purchasing the console port, but if 505 keeps up the good work they seem to be doing, then I will be happy to begin recommending the game again, in console version, instead of my current stance of suggesting that my friends spend their money elsewhere. Keep up the good work and make Terraria the game it deserves to be.

Second, it is really awesome that 505 is sponsoring contests. It is always wonderful when developers reward the creativeness of the players. However, why did the first contest have to be the least creative and most mind numbing topic possible, memes. There are several sections of this forum devoted to various creative aspects of Terraria, fan fiction, user made maps, in-game pixel art, and all kinds of play throughs. Again, thank you for holding a contest, and I hope there are more in the future, but next time could it please be something that actually requires a bit more creativity than going to a web site and typing some text on an overused image.

Just my thoughts so far, keep up the good work. :)
    Sable, Xman101, 505Games and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr. Mystery ★ SECRET THINGS ★

Dear Mr. 505 games,
    Will we be able to have children with friendly NPCs in the console update?
    Rhindle14 and Sable like this.
  5. kirabook Ex-Min

Well, this is the first contest they're incharge of, and I think after taking a look around the forum, they saw that the Meme thread was a bit popular around here.

My guess would be they choose the simplest contest for now. They didn't want it to be too complicated, and they also wanted to make it slightly easy for someone to win the console copy but still encourage users to try to be a little creative or witty with the memes.
    Jenosis, Sable and Loki ISP like this.
  6. Jeckel Moderator

Understandable reasoning, and this is what I kinda thought about it as well, but I had to point out that of all the choices, both on this forum and on the internet in general, memes are about the least creative thing one can find. I mean, there are already two entries with that same raptor background and another one with that other raptor background... and what exactly does a raptor have to do with Terraria or the orca?

But, blah, blah, blah, memes suck, rant, rant, and rant, yada yada. ;)
    Sable likes this.
  7. Loki ISP Moderator

Rest assured that this is just a start (I hope). As with past contests, improvements will be made.

Now, what would be really cool would be a merger between this and some of the larger contest ideas kira has been plotting with some of the other staff...but we will have to see what happens. (Kira, maybe see if they have any interest in anything on that - even though my one idea didnt work).

Baby steps, folks. :)
    Sable likes this.
  8. nababoo Dark Caster

I'm really glad to see 505 here. Ever since the *announcement*, there's been a lack of community spirit, possibly due to lack of hope. Now people seem to be more energetic, and there's more new members.

The first steps on land.

*preparestobeimpaled*
    505Games likes this.
  9. kirabook Ex-Min

*coughcough a lot of those members are bots*
    Sable likes this.
  10. nababoo Dark Caster

New, active members.

Or, it's members that post more. :p
  11. Joseph C. Demon Eye

Question, will it be possible to keep backups of a character? because sometimes shit happens, and only a backup will reverse it. Such as occasional and unforeseen bugs that kill a hardcore character.

Q2) anything being done to eliminate the extreme headache managing inventory? it's a game breaker when I don't want to make potions because i dread looking through my stock :confused:

q3) Will there be new travel methods? such as a two way portal
    B00FY likes this.
  12. Ijwu Crimera

I'm happy that this thread has come into being. I was wondering why 505 locked their FAQ. It seemed very counter-intuitive. (I remember they gave a reason, and I remember I wrote it off as half-assed. Can't remember what it is, though.)

I think the community needs a place where 505 can be very transparent in what's happening.

If I remember correctly, 505 is just the publisher. Engine Software will be developing the port, I think. Why haven't we heard from them? I read about Engine in an article somewhere online, please correct me if I'm wrong.
  13. nababoo Dark Caster

I'm pretty sure I heard the name Engine Software somewhere too.

Dark recesses of the mind :confused:
  14. Ijwu Crimera

I really hope that 505 isn't just 'handling the PR'. I for one would like to hear directly from whoever is developing the port. Can we get some names in here? How about some more personalities?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited that 505 has taken this interest in the community. I'm glad that TO has something big like this to discuss about again.

It's just my preference that I hear from those who are doing what is promised, not the front-end faceless number that is probably handled by more than one PR guy.
  15. kirabook Ex-Min

I'd rather it be handled by a capable PR guy than a single game developer with no PR skills.
  16. Ijwu Crimera

That much I can definitely agree with!
  17. Loki ISP Moderator

Baby steps folks....I'd assume the FAQ would be updated as questions are addressed here. Also, best to have them centralized for 505 to see.

As its my thread, I'll leave the lights on for everyone. :p
    Sable likes this.
  18. xGhostdaHostx Green Slime

Does anyone know if the PC players are getting the new content that is going to be on Xbox?
  19. nababoo Dark Caster

This is answered in the FAQ. But, I'll answer it here.

Maybe.
    505 doesn't have the rights for the PC version, so they can't really say anything.
  20. Sgt. Bob Hell Bat

505 games will not be putting the content on the computer, only the consoles. Redigit said that he was done updating the computer version (except that final bug fix, that may be a while... or never), so the computer will most likely not be receiving this content excluding if modders are allowed to port the content.