PC Dedicated Servers Incoming!

Discussion in 'News & Features' started by Kane, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Kane Administrator

comic1.png

Good-News3.jpg

Dedicated Servers are a thing of the very near future for Terraria! Sometime within the next week or so Terraria 1.0.3 will be releasing. With Terraria 1.0.3 comes the new Dedicated Server executable that has DX stripped out so you can run it on your dedicated Windows box without having to have a special dedicated video card.

So many settings and features will also be included like admin commands, configuration settings to toggle features such as Blood Moons, Goblin Attacks, and much much more. You can even make dedicated PVP servers where everyone is force-flagged.

The biggest feature is that play cap is being removed for multiplayer and if your machine can handle it you can have up to 255 players online at once.

Just remember this post covers only the new dedicated server features; there is even more new content coming in 1.0.3 so stay tuned!
  2. Newkirk Green Slime

Awesome news! Finally dedicated servers, we really needed those. :D
  3. Dizy Green Slime

Woo! Sounds great!
  4. Jimothy Green Slime

YESSSSSSSS!!!!
  5. 88BiGGiN Green Slime

6. Fear Green Slime

Can't wait, awesome news!
  7. koisoi Green Slime

Hurray!
  8. SynthAura Corruptor

YES! This will help soooo much!
  9. oldnesjunkie Cursed Man

SWEET !!!!:eek:

Quick question, how much will this lower system requirements for hosting ??
  10. Wyrmi Green Slime

11. primo Green Slime

wewt =D
  12. Mom Green Slime

I couldn't help to think that Jimothy upload that pic as his avatar just to post this message. lmao

But this is great news indeed! Dedicated servers from a dedicated staff.
  13. TheWolfie Green Slime

YAH YAH YAAAAAAH

this is going to be soooo fun =3
  14. SynthAura Corruptor

15. TheWolfie Green Slime

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuu
    I WAS GONNA DO THAT

IM GONNA KELL U DX
    Aviator and Wyrmi like this.
  16. BlankVerse Green Slime

Nice, can't wait!!!
  17. deviantdigi Green Slime

What are the system requirements for this Dedicated server client? Or system resources usage?

Also will we, as hosts, need to run two instances and this client? (Makes sense, just to be clear)

Overall the dedicated server sounds really nice and the admin controls are welcomed. Also the new modes this will offer, like strictly PVP, should be fun.

255 players on a single map is a bit overkill. I think the cap should be restricted to 24. even at that imagine 24 players within a small area.

-deviantdigi
  18. Junn Green Slime

o_o awestruck.....this is going to be awesome!

EDIT:the 255 player will end up becoming a double edged sword...that...is a little too much.
  19. Varkarrus Wraith

20. Direcious Green Slime

Already 1.0.3! =D

Also I Cant wait until the secret content. :3