Pre 1.2 [Discontinued] tConfig - A Mod To Make Mods

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Surfpup, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Surfpup Raincoat Zombie

tConfig development was discontinued in August 2013. It is no longer supported by anyone.

tConfig, and mods that require tConfig, WILL NOT WORK with Terraria 1.2+. Please do not request that tConfig be made to work with 1.2, it will not be happening.

A new modding interface that will work with 1.2+ is under development, you can follow its development here: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/tapi-general-discussion-progress-info.110832/. An initial capability is expected to be available by the end of 2013.

Original post content (open)

tConfig is best described as a content creation tool and content loader, where the content can be: items (weapons, armor, potions, accessories), tiles (blocks, furniture, crafting stations), projectiles (stuff that goes flying through the air), and NPCs. By using tConfig, all of these things can be created and organized into Mod Packs - folders containing modified or custom content.

The main features are:
    • Modify & Create Items
      • Armor - Set Bonuses and other effects defined using C#
      • Accessories - Effects defined using C#
      • Weapons - Add debuff effects to enemies or alter various variables using C#
      • Write Save & Load methods to save any data related to your custom item
    • Modify & Create Projectiles
      • Define unique AI using C#
    • Modify & Create Buffs (requires C#)
    • Modify & Create NPCs
      • Town NPCs - Setup shops; define dialogue, spawn requirements
      • Enemy mobs - Define AI, spawn conditions
      • Use custom Gore images
      • Define an interface. Make an NPC which can enchant items, for instance.
    • Modify & Create Tiles
      • Create new Active/Inactive blocks, Furniture, and more
      • Modify the world when it is generated - Add new ores, place items in chests, do whatever you like! (Advanced programming may be required...)
    • Modify & Create Walls
    • Optionally use Visual Studio to have more control over your code
    • Add new sound effects for use with Items and NPCs
    • 'ModPack Builder' tool that compiles INI files and .cs code files into a single file
    • Multiplayer - works only if you have the same mods loaded as the server
      • As of v0.15.1, the client will automatically download mods from the server.
    • New save file format for worlds - save files are named after the world names, and there is no longer any limit to the number of worlds you can have.
    • New save file format for players.
    • Create new Prefixes, or override the Prefix System entirely
    • See the Changelog for more details
    In general, it is recommended that you backup your save files, as this is still a work-in-progress and bugs may occur. If you do encounter any bugs, please post about it on the Known Bugswiki page, and include the version number and whether you were on multiplayer or single player.

Attention Modders

When you release a mod, please do not just release the compiled object file. tConfig is still undergoing major updates which may change the object file structure, requiring you to re-build your mods with the mod builder. If you aren't around to update it, nobody can use it. Furthermore, it is extremely beneficial to everyone to have access to the source files.

Currently the source code is automatically included with your mods.

Attention Windows Vista Users

There have been reports of tConfig randomly crashing, with no error message, on a frequent basis by users that have been running it on Windows Vista. I can't test or debug tConfig on Vista, so Windows Vista is not supported. I highly recommend using Windows XP or Windows 7.

Downloads
    • Latest installer (Alternate Link) - includes the ModPack Builder and the Server. Installs the Game Launcher as well, if it isn't already.
      • Beta Installer - Includes latest features, not tested extensively. Please try it out and inform me of bugs!
    • Default Files - Includes default Items, Projectiles, Buffs, NPCs, Tiles, and Walls.
    • Terraria Game Launcher
    • Extractor Builder - A tool for modders to build an installer for their mod. It will make an installer using all the .obj files that are in the same folder as the program itself.
    Installation
    1. Have a legitimate copy of Terraria installed through Steam
    2. Install the Game Launcher
    3. Run the tConfig Installer (Alternate Link)
    4. Mod files are placed in: 'My Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModPacks\'
    Thanks goes to Eikester for letting me include the Game Launcher in the installer.

Feel free to donate if you like my work
    [IMG]

Useful pages
    IRC information:
    If you already have an IRC client:
    Server: irc.esper.net
    Port: 6667 (default)
    Channel: #tConfig

If you don't, you can use this link (although we HIGHLY recommend using a proper IRC client, like HexChat): http://webchat.esper.net/?nick=&channels=tConfig

Current Dev Team: Surfpup, Yoraiz0r, Shockah, Empio, MiraiMai

I don't have all the free time that I used to, so I've been accepting more help. Anyone who appears to know what they're doing and has written some mods has a chance to be accepted into the dev team.

Custom Mod Packs
    Extract these to 'My Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModPacks\' and enable them through the tConfig Settings menu in-game. If they are outdated, you can re-build them with the mod-pack builder yourself (it's easy!). Some mods may now have automatic installers.
    • Examples - Includes a variety of examples of items, tiles, etc. (Note: some of the code may be outdated)
    • W1k's Mod - Adds tons of stuff.
    • Omnir's Mods - Includes lots of new enemies and new weapons

So, why leave this thread open? There may be some people who still want to play and develop tConfig mods for Terraria 1.1.2. If you are one of those people, you can read more about how to install 1.1.2/Terraria here: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/game-launcher-3-0.98965/page-10#post-2401024.

Reminder: tConfig is completely unsupported, use at your own risk, without expectation of help from others.
  2. Lord Carver Werewolf

An interesting idea, but I'm not sure about trusting it.
  3. Malaana Oh Canada

I never trust mods. You just never know.
  4. Surfpup Raincoat Zombie

5. Saber Hell Bat

Honestly guys, if you dont trust it, no one gives a shit. You don't need to spam the thread posting *I dont trust this*

That wont help anyone, if you've downloaded and tested, you can say something, i got it and it works fine.

You dont even contribute to the thread, you probably didin't even read the whole thread, just want freakin' post count to go to high.
    Paranoid noobs.
  6. Alethium Green Slime

Seems awesome :) Can't wait to try it out later.
  7. Shadow Rave Demon Eye

*whistles* A lot of the config alterations fly right by my head. Some of it looks simple enough but the other options, I have no clue what they do, and frankly I'm afraid to touch it.
  8. Saber Hell Bat

I'm with you, that was me when i started learning to code LOL
  9. Surfpup Raincoat Zombie

Yea, that's one thing that I plan to work on. There are a lot of variables which are irrelevant depending on the type of item, and there's also a lot of random stuff in the main config.ini file. I'll try to filter out some useless stuff. Though, I suggest you don't set any number value to a ridiculously high value - I doubt the game would like that. I should probably work on putting limits on that sort of thing so it doesn't crash the game.
    Soul Eater likes this.
  10. Saber Hell Bat

I might know someone that can be of assistance to you. :D
  11. Patchumz Cursed Skull

Very nice. Unnerfing Flamelash time....
    BMAce likes this.
  12. Lord Carver Werewolf

I have interest in keeping this machine running. Of course I'm going to question a program made by someone who just got here. How about you use it if you want to defend it so much?
  13. Patchumz Cursed Skull

Go scan it instead of being a waste of space-skeptic in the first post. You provide NOTHING to the thread otherwise.
    ahamling27, PolarBMD, Bofar and 9 others like this.
  14. Surfpup Raincoat Zombie

I understand your skepticism. I'm usually just a forum reader, a passersby of sorts. The best way to check whether or not there is malicious code in, well just about any Terraria mod, is to simply decompile it and take a look at the code. I welcome you to do so.
    jedipwnces and Soul Eater like this.
  15. Shadow Rave Demon Eye

I scanned it before hand. It's clean.
  16. Unknown Entity Squirrel

This is interesting, but I seem to have a problem... I ran the PatchIt.bat and started the game through steam and it made the "Item" folder and all that. But it doesn't have the Silver or Gold Weapons/Tools (Not sure if there are others too, but those are what I noticed that weren't there), so they're not in the game anymore while the mod is installed. Any way to go about fixing that?

Oh, and an MP mod of this would be awesome, I generally only play Terraria on a private server with 2-3 friends.
  17. Surfpup Raincoat Zombie

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even notice! I'll fix that soon.

So we've got one vote for multiplayer! In theory, if all the players and the server had the same config files, it should work. I already played around with the server code a bit, but before I continue working on that, I want to make sure there aren't any issues with the single-player client.

I have not tested this, but I wonder if you can play multiplayer as long as you host it through the regular client. I usually play multiplayer with the separate server software for various reasons. Anyway, feel free to try it out if you'd like, and if it works, let me know.
    Soul Eater likes this.
  18. JammyJa Cursed Skull

Useful mod, might be seeing me use it soon.
  19. Unknown Entity Squirrel

Show Spoiler
    [IMG]

Well I can see the item on my server, don't know if anyone else would be able to see it though...
  20. Surfpup Raincoat Zombie

I have updated the mod to version 0.11. I fixed the issue with Gold and Copper tools not being in the game, and created an option for cutting down on the amount of variables saved to Item files.

Unknown Entity: Other players should be able to see the items as you see them only if they have the same config settings as you do. If they don't have the mod or the same settings, I would expect things to break, but that's just a guess.
    Soul Eater likes this.