Drop Rates

Discussion in 'PC' started by Archmage_Bael, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Archmage_Bael Cursed Man

I play among quite a few friends of mine, and we're constantly comparing what we have, which is awesome, but now I find it more difficult to acquire items.

A couple of my friends have absurd luck, like getting all the items that have insanely low drop rates, like the book of skulls for example, which has a .4% drop rate. I believe there's an item out there with a .125% drop rate, but it's name escapes me at the moment.

I never get these items though. I spend days just to get one of them (like the fire feather, which has a low drop rate on an enemy that already doesn't spawn much. even with a battle potion and blue candle). I have horrible luck :(

Anyone else feel like there's way too many items out there that have a less-than-or-equal-to drop rate of 5%? I don't have all the time in the world to get this stuff, and I love collecting and hoarding stuff on mannequins or in my storage area.
  2. I just realized i have book of skulls, i've only killed skeletron 3 times on my 1.2 character and i think i got it on my second try. As for to many items with low drop rates i kind of disagree, i've always played game like Diablo 2 and PSO growing up and item hunting is something i've grown to love, seeing a super rare item pop out of a monster is the most fufilling thing in games for me.
    Westwind likes this.
  3. Leinfors Wraith

Book of Skulls has a 14% drop rate.

The Coin Gun has a 0.0125% drop rate, except from Pirate Captains, which have a 0.025% drop rate. That is a 1 in 8000 drop rate, twice as bad as Biome keys. The Lucky Coin and Discount card have comparable drops from that invasion.

The Lizard Egg has a 0.03% drop rate from Lihzahrds and Flying Snakes, which is about a 1 in 3333. Almost as bad as Biome keys, but ONLY in the Jungle Temple.
  4. gotrunks712 Slimed Zombie

I enjoy hunting for things sometimes, but it can get annoying. I'm a collector even if I won't use the item, but I'm still trying to get a rod of discord. It just happens that where I farm for it is near the underground and I've found 3 fire feathers and 3 unholy tridents in the process. RNG just loves some people and hates others.
  5. Leinfors Wraith

PeggleFrank, Jeckel and QuackersDelta like this.
  6. Fortitude Zombie

A few days ago, I got a Rod of Discord (1 in 500), Enchanted Sword Banner (1 in 200 from a rare spawn), Bloody Machete (1 in 2,000), Hallowed Key mold (1 in 4,000), Jungle Key mold (1 in 4,000), and Slime Staff (1 in 10,000) all in a couple of hours, then other times I'd get literally nothing from an entire "serious-mode-no-fun-allowed" Solar Eclipse or Pumpkin Moon.
    ThatOneRobloxHater likes this.
  7. Yeah i usually use gamepedia actually i was just being lazy, i guess i will just have to go find the Axe or Nymph banner to make me feel better :D
  8. AzureMetal Black Recluse

what we need is more craftables and less time-wasting items where you have to grind for hours for every damn item. It's not just a couple items. it's so many damn items in the game.
  9. Leinfors Wraith

It took me over 15,000 kills of Blood Crawlers to get their banner, a 1 in 200 drop rate. That is the equivalent of rolling a dice to get a 6 and it taking more than 450 rolls. It also took me 1100 Unicorn kills to get their banner, which is pretty bad too. I've also spent 20 hours of gameplay in the past few days trying to get a Crimson Axe banner, no luck.
  10. Archmage_Bael Cursed Man

Yeah. I wanted a nimbus rod cuz I only had the crimson alternative, so my friend farmed one for me, gave it to me, and the next kill I got from a nimbus, which was literally 5 minutes later, dropped a nimbus rod, when I farmed them for a whole day trying to get one.

Talk about RNG irony. xD That was just funny...
  11. MaxwellDemon Mouse

I'm calculating a 5 out of 6 chance to not get a 6, times itself 450 times. .83^450= 2.3358195 times 10^-36
    And a 199/200 chance to not get the banner, times itself 15000 times. .995^15000= 2.2192753 times 10^-33

The dice scenario is several orders of magnitude worse according to my calculations. Sorry for nitpicking, I was bored.
  12. Frain Breeze Doctor Bones

Drop rates really do need to be improved. Some people like that feeling of getting something rare after searching for so long, but the only feeling I get when I find the item through grinding is "good riddance to that bullshit".

Leaving the rewards for the player's efforts completely up to chance is extremely aggravating. I fought hard solo through multiple pumpkin moons, and all I got were vanity items. For fighting the hardest shit in the game. Then I get to see my friend find a rod of discord off of his first chaos elemental. Really, RNG?

Just last night, I was trying to get a sniper rifle in the dungeon. I had nine scopes, which drop from the same enemy with the same drop chance, and about 300 ectoplasm before I actually got the item I was looking for.
    Garneac likes this.