Enemies spawning on my roof.

Discussion in 'PC' started by FDru, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FDru Doctor Bones

How do I stop this from happening? I notice it a lot during blood moons, but occasionally a slime will spawn up there normally. I'd rather that nothing spawned up there at all.
  2. If your roof is an outdoor flat surface, things can spawn there.

Solutions:
    -Have your NPCs near the roof, should deter mob spawns.
    -Have your roof reach the very top of the map. No game space above your roof = no spawns there.
    -Coat your roof in a thin film of lava. Things will still spawn there, but they won't live to tell the tale.
  3. frederickson Squirrel

This is a serious question, not a troll comment:

Why does it matter?
    shadowstar likes this.
  4. Minky Slimed Zombie

Not only does this serve a grand purpose, y0u can also sing about how the roof has become combustible, how you require no water, and how the fornicator can burn.
    Lerry, Sandaasu and JaxMed like this.
  5. MiniManolinho Bone Serpent

If you provided a screenshot so that we can see how the roof is, we could find better solutions.
  6. Kjulo Slimer

Apply Any timer to a Dart shooter, they will be killed.
  7. Firebrand Green Slime

The solution to most problems is: lava.
  8. FDru Doctor Bones

Here's the roof.

theroof.JPG
    Because they jump down here into my "town".

nottheroof.JPG
  9. Minky Slimed Zombie

Considering the snowy ground is ground, of course stuff can spawn on the roof. If you were to use anything that's not a naturally occurring nature-y block, it wouldn't happen. Or the lava.
  10. MiniManolinho Bone Serpent

Well, seeing the roof all I can say is... Check if you have a Floating island above you. The NPCs are close enough to keep monsters from spawning, so they are probably falling from somewhere.
  11. Unfair Green Slime

Permanent solution: Wire some explosives and a pressure plate on the roof. If something spawns up there again you won't have any more trouble with it.

No, snow is just white dirt. They're spawning up there. I have a massive stone greenhouse with snow on top that they like to spawn on too.
    Rodundra and Minky like this.
  12. Minky Slimed Zombie

I'm changing my vote to Unfair's choice.
  13. FranMAD Doctor Bones

Lava should do it... make borders and put a bucker (make sure you don't get in there while playing)
  14. FDru Doctor Bones

I should have mentioned that they were spawning up there before I put snow on the roof ie: on plain wood blocks. So it's not just because it's snow.

Will putting walls up there stop spawns? It seems to have worked for keeping stuff out of the lower section of the town (under the blue block floor is a massive walled open space).
  15. MiniManolinho Bone Serpent

It doesn't matter, NPCs keep the monsters from Spawning if they are gathered, living somewhere. So you're wrong.
    Well, it is worth a try. If they are, indeed, spawning up there, the walls should solve. Make a test. If they keep spawning go check for a Floating Island or something.
  16. Unfair Green Slime

That's dead simple to check. Load up any gun with meteor shot and fire it directly upward. If the shot comes back down you found an island. Recheck every 40 tiles in each direction approximately. If you find one drink a grav potion, fly up and use a bit of explosives on it after looting the chest. (you'll need a gold key from the dungeon)

(See a pattern here? Explosives solve everything. )
  17. Jatopian Demon Eye

Nope. Even with Retro lighting, the area that is game space and the area that is player-accessible game space are different.
  18. heatseeker Green Slime

Normal spawning rules are bypassed during blood moons and / or invasions, including NPC spawn protection. Nothing you can do will prevent mobs from spawning on your roof during said events but - as others suggested - coating the roof in lava will provide for an easy farm.
  19. Tctoocold Lava Slime

monsters spawn at the edge of the screen, if you can just not see the snowy roof you have they deem it legible spawining grounds (not only applicable to ice)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.