File copy/pasting for dummies! How can I play Terraria on a different computer?

Discussion in 'Technical Support Archive' started by Kris24, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Kris24 Green Slime

Hi thar! (thar being an intentional mis-spelling of the word "there", to let you, the reader, know that everything is ship-shape [with ship-shape being a play on words, as it imitates pirate speech, much like the word "thar" does, thus remaining consistent with the original message's theme] and that I really am a laid-back person, and it's not the end of the world or anything that I can't figure out the yet-to-be-mentioned problem, but it would be nice, you know, if you have nothing better to do, to help a guy out, and give me some advice. Nothing too serious, of course, and if you are particularly against the idea of helping me with a simple file relocation problem, there's no need to get upset or be mad, you don't have to feel obligated to help my pathetic self)

So, classes have started. I want to be able to play Terraria at the library computers for the occasional spare hour when I have nothing else to do (I don't work very well at the library, I do all my work at home). I want to know what I have to do to be able to play on my Terraria account there, without giving other users access to it. A couple questions/just-to-make-sure-ies.

1. I will, of course, have to download Steam on whatever PC I'm using.
    2. I have copied my "Terraria" folder, with my worlds and players on it, and put it onto a USB port. Assuming I am in the library, and I have downloaded steam, once I plug in the USB, will the world/player files inside the Terraria file be enough for the game to run?
    3. If I can play, how do I prevent other users from possibly accessing my Steam account, and my terraria worlds/players? If I take the flashdrive with me (which I, uh, obviously will), am I correct in assuming that other users couldn't access my Terraria information? In other words, the game is essentially what it is because of the world/player files, and Steam is just a host?

Honestly, I'm not very tech savvy, and these questions are hardly questions....But because I don't understand how to do a basic file copy/paste securely, I'm getting confused with the details.

Thank you so much if you all can help me! I look forward to playing Terraria this semester!

Thine, but I'm really tired, and I have to be at school for 12 hours each day!
    Kris24
  2. Rich Voodoo Demon

I'm not sure exactly how it will work with the USB but it shouldn't be very difficult to set that up.. can't really help you much with that, sorry.

To make sure that others cannot access your steam account on a public computer there is an option on steam settings to have it not save your account credentials on that computer. Anyone using that computer will need to log into a steam account with access to Terraria in order to play it.

Now, assuming that one in a million chance were to happen where another person with a steam account that plays Terraria were to play it on that exact same public computer, I believe they would be able to use your characters/worlds that are loaded on to the computer. It doesn't really matter though because if you save them onto your USB you can just plug it back in every time you play and nothing will have changed.
    Kris24 likes this.
  3. Rydian Blood Crawler

You will need to log into steam and have it install terraria there, and put the player/world files in the right folder on that PC user account, and when you're done de-authorize the computer and uninstall terraria/steam, then remove the local copy of your players/worlds (after putting them back on your flash drive).

And yes, the terraria folder in your documents is what contains your saved worlds/players.
  4. Rich Voodoo Demon

Why does he have to uninstall steam/terraria when he's done? Can't he just leave them on the computer as long as it isn't saving his account info?
  5. Rydian Blood Crawler

Just to be safe, and to make sure steam recognizes the computer's no longer in use, as it has a limit on how many machines you can have stuff on last I checked.
  6. Rich Voodoo Demon

Ah, ok that makes sense then. Wouldn't be good to have your steam account get in trouble because of something like that.