For Those Experiencing Lag/Slow-motion in Terraria... Simple Fix

Discussion in 'Technical Support Archive' started by Colby Meyer, May 19, 2011.

1. Colby Meyer

Colby Meyer Green Slime

I have discovered that either really high end or really low end PCs/Laptops experience an issue where Terreria seems to be going in slow motion. Want a fix? Here it is:

Launch Terraria, go to Settings, and towards the bottom make sure that a setting says "Frame Skip On".

This will fix your issue, did for me. I was going out of the house for a little while and was curious to see if Terraria would run on my Asus Eee 1005HA-B. It worked fine after I used the above fix. Keep in mind that my Netbook is NOT the main PC that I play Terraria on. I use dropbox to keep my files synched across machines :) I heart DropBox!

2. UltimateRime

UltimateRime Green Slime

When I go to record Terraria with Fraps, the first time I recorded, it was fine but now whenever I record it is in slow motion. It's not lag cos it runs at 70fps. Does anyone know how to fix this?

3. porthios

porthios Squirrel

im sure this has been reported but i could not find it. sometimes my character moves in slow motion wich is really anoying any help would be appreciated.

4. Shayne Fuentes

Shayne Fuentes Green Slime

Entire goblin army in slow motion = AGONIZING.

5. PureSalvation

PureSalvation Squirrel

did u turn frame skip on? if not do so

6. zlayer

zlayer Green Slime

have you turned frame skip on in the options menu?

7. porthios

porthios Squirrel

ty fixed

8. Bump

Bump Dark Caster

Do you know if it is just lagg or actual slow motion?

9. jordenkotor

jordenkotor Green Slime

Turn on frame skip.

10. Isindel

Isindel Green Slime

There is actually a way to run the game in turbo mode.

The game runs at whatever refresh rate your monitor is running - It is meant to be ran at 60hertz.

However, if you have monitor that goes up to 120hertz, the game will run ridiculously fast. Which causes mob teleporting in multiplayer (as you are trying to run the game faster then the server)

This took me a-while to figure out as why I was having problems in multiplayer(frame skip didn't work for me either) as I was running the game at 120. Now whenever I play Terraria I change my refresh rate back down to 60hertz.

11. Kelp

Kelp Moderator Staff Member

Turn frame skip on for now, there's a few things it could be but I don't feel like diving into depth.

12. deevidd

deevidd Green Slime

I have this problem as well, the game (v. 1.0.3) plays at 45 fps according to Fraps with Frame Skip ON. This seems to run at about half speed of what I see on YouTube videos. Frame Skip OFF results in normal speed gameplay but with noticeable mouse lag. I also tried the Fraps "set fps" trick or whatever but it didn't seem to work, though I may have done it incorrectly as I have never used Fraps before.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) with a 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II Processor and an ATI Radeon 6850.

If anyone could dive into depth, it might be a great help.

13. Mrinsane

Mrinsane Green Slime

Sometimes, when I switch from skype to terraria, it makes the game go at about half speed for a while.

14. KXI System

KXI System Green Slime

I have a program that let's me defrag my memory, I can recover about 80mb worth of data. But most of the time during slow down I can recover 100mb or more, which FYI is a lot or memory.

15. Brent

Brent Green Slime

Get a better processor

16. Jerryman

Jerryman Demon Eye

I'd advise you to re-install the game if it doesn't work, consider buying a new comupter.

ipresslikealot likes this.
  17. deevidd

deevidd Green Slime

I run BF:BC2 on high with no lag online, I'm pretty sure my 3.4GHz quad-core can run a 2d sidescroller with 16 bit graphics. This is clearly a developer side issue, regardless of whatever builds some people might be using.

18. KXI System

KXI System Green Slime

Did you check how much RAM you have? How much RAM your using? Because I go into "slow" motion when I'm using almost all of my RAM, then I do a memory defrag. Unfortunately I use a 3rd party software to do so, I don't know how to fix the problem without it.

19. deevidd

deevidd Green Slime

I am 100% confident in my computer's ability to run the game, otherwise I would not be posting here asking if there are temporary fixes and saying that it is a dev problem.

I have 4GB of ram along with my previously mentioned specs, I actually found out that I was running the game in slow motion (consistently, not occasional slowdown) from a friend who can barely run other (fairly old) games we've played together, whose computer runs Terraria perfectly.

Strangely enough, if I set the game at 720p and run it windowed, then maximize it, and switch back and forth, it will randomly start running at normal 60fps but it is short-lived. Again, if anyone knows of any fixes, or can get this problem addressed by developers, it would be greatly appreciated.

20. deevidd

deevidd Green Slime