Free demo?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Taku, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taku

Taku Cave Bat

Hi! i heave a question: will be a free demo version of terraria?

2. Holylifestar

Holylifestar Fire Imp

Oempa likes this.
  3. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Cursed Skull

Haha lol Theirs the leak but ya..

BTW Holy I sent you a message can you respond please

4. Maxzoo

Maxzoo Green Slime

I don't think there will be a Legal demo for Tarraria. Indie sandbox games usually don't.

5. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Cursed Skull

I know but They could make a version free like Minecraft Creative

6. Pie9075

Pie9075 Green Slime

7. Xendhaius

Xendhaius Piranha

Avrasia likes this.
  8. Toraxa

Toraxa Green Slime

The thing is though indie games stand to gain the most from having them, so I don't see why more don't do it. People are usually pretty sure about AAA titles, thanks to the series, engine or company being familiar. However indie games are riskier.

I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see a demo, but making a demo means creating a secondary, limited version of the game that both gives you a good impression of the finished product and also is limited enough to make you want to buy. It's somewhat of a delicate craft, and it's more coding and more time and effort, so I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

9. Johnnyr

Johnnyr Green Slime

It's $10. Give me a break. Just buy the game.

10. 2muchwow

2muchwow Green Slime

Someone official (Yea for specificity) said there would be a movement and world gen demo out before the real game, but that was before the rushed launch date.
    It's probable that we'll get one in the future, but not soon.

11. Toraxa

Toraxa Green Slime

For the first week. Not everyone has a budget where they can just spend willy-nilly.

12. juchmis

juchmis Green Slime

Download a leak, see if you like it. I did, and I did, so I'm buying it when it comes out.

(( inb4 ZOMG PIRACY KILLS TEH INDIE DEVS UR SO MEAN ))

13. Johnnyr

Johnnyr Green Slime

Give me a break. If you are on these forums, then you obviously aren't living in a box, and thus can afford a measly $10 dollars. Support the dev's hard work.

14. Toraxa

Toraxa Green Slime

I'm not the one asking for a demo, and I will be buying it. Some people cannot. That's just how it goes. A demo allows people to decide if it's a worthwhile purchase to make or not. That's why they exist. You can argue with me all you like, but companies put out demos because it gets people on the fence to buy.

15. juchmis

juchmis Green Slime

I'm not sure why you think everyone is willing to drop money on things they don't know they're going to like. That's why many developers provide a demo, it should be common courtesy by now. I don't care how much the game costs, even 99cent Android/iPhone games from >indie developers< provide demo/cut-down versions of their games.

16. Johnnyr

Johnnyr Green Slime

There are 23 Lets play episodes. If you don't know if you like the game after watching those, then a demo isn't going to help.

17. Xendhaius

Xendhaius Piranha

I'd actually have to agree with this.

18. Nenjin

Nenjin Demon Eye

Terraria is the kind of game that lends itself exceptionally well to demos. Limit the item, NPC, events, biome selection, world size, MP options, and you've got a demo that clearly shows what the game is about while leaving plenty to spend your money on. You make the pinnacle of game play like, the Eye of Cthulhu or something.

Making a demo build takes time though, and with all the stuff people want for the game after release, they may not have time. Unless someone other than Redigit starts assembling builds.

So does virtually every other game someone has played though. We only watched 32+ Lps because the game wasn't out yet.

19. juchmis

juchmis Green Slime

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. A demo let's you play the game. Personally, I don't ever watch game play videos past a game's trailer which may include elements of game play. A demo is designed to let you play, you can't really get a feel for doing something until you do it...

You can watch as many instructional videos as you like, actually doing something is still different. It applies to games also.

I wasn't aware the game existed until a few days ago when I picked up a copy and played it for a bit. Then I went and found the website for the game, and honestly the game looks terrible to me based on the site. If I had just found this game without having my "unofficial demo" first, I would have closed the site and likely never bothered looking at it again. I had the same experience with Minecraft last summer, if the survival demo hadn't been available on the Minecraft site I would likely never bought the game until nearly a year later when it suddenly became popular on all the gaming blogs.

20. countchocula86

countchocula86 Dark Caster

Im gonna be hopeful here and say that after a few content updates they might put out a demo; something with limited tools/resources/mobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.