PC Guide Feature: Building a Hatch/Trapdoor.

Discussion in 'News & Features' started by Kane, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Kane

Kane Administrator Staff Member

Today we'd like to share an awesome guide by forum member Icrine: How to make a hatch/trapdoor. There are a lot of possible applications for this contraption, especially in PvP!
    blank.png
    blank.png
    blank.png
    Closed Trap:
    a1.png

Trap In Action:
    a2.png

Open Trap:
    a3.png

Post feedback, screenshots and videos of your trap creations here or in Icrine's thread. To find and share other guides with the TO community, check out our Guides Section.

2. Xeta Corp

Xeta Corp Green Slime

I love this trap! I will use it now.

(Not for...any "taking over the world" things, of course, DON'T BE SILLY! :cool:)

3. Anti-Positive

Anti-Positive The Reversed One

Nice trap, "Player walks up to me, *Shuts door* WHHHYYYY!?!"

Xeta Corp likes this.
  4. ilemon

ilemon Zombie

You should make a built in lava generator for the trap.

5. Teracotta

Teracotta Green Slime

6. OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS!
    But there's lava on the other side...
    Oh, well then...

7. Icrine

Icrine Hell Bat

8. huldu

huldu Cave Bat

The majority of these maps would only work if the game had a "fog of war" for everything in front of you. Nobody in their right mind would walk through something obvious as a trap is in terraria. I've only seen one trap that was well hidden from the players but that had to be run at 800x600 or it would have been visible. Unless we players can actually "hide"/camouflage the traps so only the trap creator can see them, that is the only way this is going to work.

Frag and Halo Diamond like this.
  9. Icrine

Icrine Hell Bat

This is less of a lava trap as a blockade between you and whoever is chasing you, so technically it CAN work out :)

10. Halo Diamond

Halo Diamond Snatcher

i agree. unless ur blind u will not close the door. here should be like pressure pads with wires on them that only the person who placed the pressure plate can see. you then connect the wire onto the door (kinda like LBP) and boom. when u step on the pressure pad the door opens. or it could be a switch or something. and the pressure pad can be a non-solid block and when your char or other walking mob is in that square it gose off. like if u think something like that should happin. (also means u can drag the wire to a door out of sight that has a sand trap going up higher than the chars sight. the right over the char full of lava and anything else u mad people can think of) like and comment :D *exits and closes the door behind me* oh shi-

11. lukeaaa1

lukeaaa1 Green Slime

Well, you'll have to jump over it if someone is chasing you... And if they see you jump over it, then they will too because they'll just see lava and get scared.

12. Icrine

Icrine Hell Bat

Jump over?... What are you talking about :confused:

13. lukeaaa1

lukeaaa1 Green Slime

Well, if someone's you, then you wont be able to open the doors or else you die or at least set off the trap without them being inside... Therefore, you have to jump over the entire trap using grapple/boots whatever...

14. Icrine

Icrine Hell Bat

The image obviously only showcases the mechanism. In the context of an implementation (an adventure map, dungeon, or similar) you wouldn't be able to jump over this.

And its really less of a "killing" trap and more of one that is meant to block off paths. Closing the door will simply cause the lava to cascade and fill the gap between you and your pursuer after you've gone past the path. It's possible to modify the above into a trap meant for killing, but my point was to demonstrate the possibilities with my horizontal door idea. (PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL THREAD FOR THE FULL CONTEXT)

Teracotta likes this.
  15. Teu

Teu Green Slime

I feel duped! I came up with the hatch trick days ago and didn't post it!
    But in all seriousness nice work, that's a pretty nice trap.

But I will get revenge, MUHAHAHAH

16. Icrine

Icrine Hell Bat

It's ok, I doubt I was the first to think of this either, it's not exactly a very complex idea.
    Its when random people take the idea and expand on it that counts. For example, holding up sand with doors is part of the trap in this thread, and that's definitely not a first on the forums.

EDIT: lol @ white font... only saw it in the quote box

17. Teu

Teu Green Slime

Mhm, as I said, well done with the trap.

18. Khaotil

Khaotil Squirrel

Well, there have been some suggestions to solve this kind of problems (if I may, here is my take on the subject)

Great trap! Very imaginative! Be sure I'll try to include this one on my adventure map! :)

19. DemonicAnahka

DemonicAnahka Green Slime

I don't see how anyone except maybe a downs kid could be caught by this.

20. Owl

Owl World Feeder

Your sort of a jerk man.
    That wasnt very nice :confused: