Pre 1.2 [guide]how to make an glowing mushroom farm

Discussion in 'Guides' started by todumbtodi, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todumbtodi Green Slime

well since no 1 made 1 yet.
    and a lot of people(i think) want to know how.
    here it goes :p

how to make an glowing mushroom farm.

what we need is:
    - mushroom grass seeds(you get them from chopping down glowing mushrooms trees and on the ground)
    please note it does grows but very slow, so its faster when you have a few seeds

- mud blocks

and we need to be underground at the level where you get rocks behind the wall(like sound also changed at this lvl).
    So this means it cant be like only 1 block underground! its a pretty way down.
    like on this screenshot wich kind of explains everything you need to know :p
    so just watch the screenshot.
    and no the water doesnt needs to be there :p

and i dont know if it needs the space i just wanted to be sure for that :p
    havent seen big mushroom tree things grow so i dont know if thats even possible but normal mushrooms is :p
    [IMG]

i hope this helped you :D

sorry for my English i got dyslexia so i cant really help it.
  2. Vincent Green Slime

Woah so pro thanks man!
  3. OxTox Green Slime

Nice guide there, matey.
  4. iBoaz Green Slime

Nice guide, Gonna make mah own farm now :>
  5. Bluepheonix Green Slime

you only need 1 seed it does grow.
  6. todumbtodi Green Slime

hmm ok well until now i havent seen it grow
    i will change it when ive seen it my self

ok i confirmed this it does grows
  7. Alvin Flummox World Feeder

[IMG]

Here's my set up! It definitely does grow hehe. Works best if you place a few spaced apart though so they can spread and join together :)

EDIT: Oh and water isn't needed either
  8. Supa Green Slime

9. Lordraymond Squirrel

I tried this on my friends server, but he's an idiot and he tore them down because he's too nooby to know what they were. He was like "Yeah I found some much under our house so I took it out. It was ugly." So yeah.

At least this guide will help me be sure I do it right next time...
    Alvin Flummox likes this.
  10. Supa Green Slime

Under your house? wow that sucks, you could've just fell down and collected them every so often D:
  11. Demian Green Slime

Wait. Does it HAVE to be at that deep? Can't you grow them underground but just below the surface?
  12. Supa Green Slime

No, must be at the layer where there is rocks on the wall :\
  13. Alvin Flummox World Feeder

Yep has to be below where the background changes to stoney otherwise mushrooms won't grow and you'll have just wasted your seeds. It's really not that far down, just dig straight down so you can drop right down to it
  14. todumbtodi Green Slime

yea its done pretty fast nothing hard about it :p
    its allmost harder to get seeds xD
  15. Alvin Flummox World Feeder

Yeah haha, getting seeds can be a bitch cus they have a pretty low drop rate. You just have to space them out and wait for them to spread and grow to cover your whole farm
  16. Kaos Green Slime

I've discovered a few more things:

You can actually place a backdrop behind the mushroom grass after you've planted it. This backdrop is especially useful because it prevents monsters from spawning! The grass will continue to grow as long as you put the backdrop down after planting the seed. I can't stress this enough. Also... there is no specific heigh requirement for the grass to grow and spread. The grass should be able to snake up onto the ceiling (even though there is no room above the ceiling) provided the blocks are mud. This provides a convenient lighting strategy for an otherwise dark farm.
  17. Kaos Green Slime

Check it out:

[IMG]
  18. Alvin Flummox World Feeder

Do mushrooms continue to grow with a background then? I covered mine in wood but I removed it because I was sure no mushrooms were growing while I had it.... could just be me though lol. And yeah that's what I did with mine, joined the ends up at the end of each 'aisle' so the grass can grow down and around layers :)

EDIT: Nice mushrooms do grow with a background then!
  19. iBoaz Green Slime

Lol, My problem is: I can't find any fields.
    ... Gotta keep searching -.-'
  20. Alvin Flummox World Feeder

I kinda cheated after a while and used the map viewer. I just wasn't finding any at all on my world, and I had hellstone armour and everything.....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.