High Fructose Corn Syrup

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lord Carver, Aug 9, 2011.

?

HFCS is..

Actually good for you. 1 vote(s) 10.0%
Stupid and bad for you. 9 vote(s) 90.0%
  1. Lord Carver Possessed Armor

Today my hate is focused on HFCS. But what are Your thoughts on it? Do you hate it too? Do you swear by it and have proof that it isn't bad for you?

Discuss.
  2. EWA Blazing Wheel

the only thing i know about HFCS is that its in gatorade and supposedly its bad for you
  3. Roll Volnut Cursed Skull

4. Mistress Rarity Nightmarity

Why even have a poll? Might as well say "Sugar? Good for you or bad for you?" Lol. =P
  5. Taemien Green Slime

Its not an issue

C6H12O6 is C6H12O6 no matter where its from, the body and nature can't tell the difference.

Anything is bad with excess, even Dihydrogen Oxide is poisonous (enough will flush out your electrolytes and short out the signals that allow you to breath and heart to beat).
  6. Cait_Sidhe Green Slime

It's just sugar. It should be common sense that too much sugar isn't good for you, but neither is it necessary to avoid it like the plague. Eat what you like, but don't over indulge in any one thing.
  7. Lord Carver Possessed Armor

Yes but do you have any studies to back that up? I dismissed the commercials as propaganda, and this sounds just like one of them.
  8. Taemien Green Slime

Any basic chemistry class in highschool or a nutrition course in college (or Army), will tell you that.

I mean its just common sense. Drink 10 sodas a day, and you'll be fat. Drink just 1 and day and replace the others with water and you won't. Try it, if you're a heavy soda drinker, stop it and you'll lose some weight.

Yeah if you cut it out of your diet entirely you'll be better for it. But make sure you cut out the fatty stuff too for a real show of improvement.

The whole thing of HFCS being carcinogenic is just liberals trying to stir up trouble again. Sugar when not used and it doesn't matter what kind of sugar it is will be stored as fat. Did they stop teaching health classes in High Schools and Middle Schools?
  9. Lampyridae Green Slime

I've never really known the difference between all of these sugars, so I decided to do some real quick research on Wikipedia. Yes, the chemical compound is the same, but fructose and glucose are processed differently in the body. As to whether or not High Fructose Corn Syrup is bad for you, I am definitely not educated enough to make a decision on that. If I read correctly, it does seem to place more of a burden on the liver for processing, whereas glucose can be processed anywhere. That is really the only argument I can make against it and that is only because it is in everything.

But like I said, I'm not a chemist or dietician, so I'm only getting a very basic understanding of it and I could be completely wrong. Is it as evil as people make it out to be, not if you handle it in moderation. Is it as harmless as others make it out to be, probably not since it is everywhere.

Just my two cents...

Edit: Interesting study on corn syrup and sugar done by Princeton University here. Which leads me to believe that it could possibly lead to increased risks of diabetes, obesity, etc. Jury is still out though.
  10. Kelp Moderator

Did that such say trace amounts of Mercury? Uh, I have never even seen this corn syrup so yay! No mercury poisoning for me ._.

Personally I'd say take it responsibly, you are going to get unhealthy if you have too much of anything really, specially if it is loaded with sugar.

• Drink too much liquids and you'll fill your stomach up with liquid leaving no room for food.
    • Eat too much fatty foods, well, you'll either get a blood clot or get fat.
    • Drink too much energy drinks and you could either get addicted to them or seriously mix up your sleeping pattern. And have problems like "sugar rushes"
    • Too much Corn syrup will effect you too.
  11. Mistress Rarity Nightmarity

There's a lot of myths and rumors concerning High Fructose Corn Syrup. Truth is, it's no more dangerous than Sugar. It's basically the exact same as Sugar =P.
  12. Cait_Sidhe Green Slime

This isn't common knowledge by this point? What are they teaching in health class these days? News flash: Excess sugar gets stored as fat! Being obese increases your risk of diabetes and heart disease, as well as taxing most of your other organs.

Just take a look at the US if you want to see it in action.
    http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/DDT_STRS2/NationalDiabetesPrevalenceEstimates.aspx?mode=DBT

Flip between obesity, diagnosed diabetes, and physical inactivity on the indicator menu. Remarkable similarities, eh?
    RᐧAᐧVᐧEᐧN likes this.
  13. RᐧAᐧVᐧEᐧN Green Slime

It is a cheaper sweetener than corn in the US. The real health effects are how much people, primarily Americans, consume the stuff. Personally, I think food/beverages with real sugar taste better than those with HFCS.
  14. Kelp Moderator

"Excess" sugar, the trick is not to have too much excess sugar. Solved

From what I can guess it must be a bit like Olive Oil or something, you're only supposed to take 1 or 2 spoons a day. You're suggesting that sugar is only a bad thing. It's a good source of energy if you take it in moderation Ie, not the full jar of Corn Syrup just one or two spoons of it daily.
    Cait_Sidhe likes this.
  15. RᐧAᐧVᐧEᐧN Green Slime

Uhm... I don't know anything about people consuming raw olive oil or HFCS.
    Concerning HFCS and other sugars, there are better sources of energy... I mean, no one is going to die of a sugar deficit or anything.
    On the topic of olive oil, it is probably the best cooking oil out there, and although you shouldn't eat too much with oil anyway, there is no reason not to use olive oil as much as possible in place of the other oils.
  16. Kelp Moderator

Taking a spoon of Olive oil a day can actually be good for you and reduce chances of heart disease.

I know nothing about HFCS, we do not use it here to my knowledge, but the trick is simple nevertheless. Just do not consume excessive amounts of it.
  17. RᐧAᐧVᐧEᐧN Green Slime

That's entirely possible. The corn industry is so heavily subsidized here in the U.S., that pretty much all corn products are cheap as dirt.
  18. cpanda Hell Bat

You know the US government pays farmers to over produce HFCS so they can sell it really cheap to soda companies. So I see no problem in indulging especially when it's only a buck for the large drink from Micky Dees. OMG R-A-V-E-N you suck:p (as I read your post while writing my own)
  19. Lampyridae Green Slime

I know excess sugar is stored as fat, but the study that was done was using different levels of glucose and HFCS. The rats were fed less HFCS than the sugar water mixture, but still showed higher percentages of being overweight. That was the interesting thing for me.
  20. Cynthia1770 Green Slime

We've been duped by the Corn Refiners Association, CRA. Going back to the original literature you will find that HFCS-42 (42% fructose) was given a sweetness rating of 100 = sucrose. The CRA wasn't satisfied with that. They boosted the fructose 30% to yield HFCS-55, which is used to sweeten all national brands of soda (excluding Sierra Mist). Now, you're thinking, but sucrose is 50% fructose. How can 55% fructose be that much different? Good question. The reason is this: When you boost the %fructose you must decrease the %glucose. (The total can only be 100%). HFCS-55 is therefore 55% fructose : 45% glucose.
    This means that the fructose/glucose ratio 55/45 = 1.22 or 22% more fructose than glucose in every can of soda you drink.
    So what does this mean in everyday terms?
    Here's one way to calculate the excess fructose you are consuming
    The amount of fructose consumed from drinking 5 cans of HFCS-55 sweetened beverage is equal to--
    Drinking 4.25 cans of sugar sweetened beverage + 0.75 can of pure fructose sweetened beverage.
    So, every fifth can of soda is like drinking almost a whole can of pure fructose sweetened beverage.
    And your liver is the fall guy.
    Unlike glucose which can be metabolized in every cell of the body, fructose can ONLY be metabolized by the
    liver. When the liver is swamped with extra fructose it does nifty things like convert the extra fructose into sludge
    which lines your arteries, or the excess fructose is metabolized to uric acid which increases insulin resistance, a
    hallmark for type II diabetes.