How Not To Market - An Evaluation of 505Games

Discussion in 'Console' started by Scizor300, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Scizor300 Eskimo Zombie

A company picks up a dead game and decides to develop a console port for it, barred from touching the PC version under direct request of the (apparently idiotic) original developer and owner, for whatever purposes he may have had. Their main selling point that they have advertised is that a.) It is for consoles (Whoopdee-fucking-do) and b.) It is supposed to recieve more content. Their initial announcement trailer was alright, a very presentable trailer for something apparently just being started with the promise of "new content" at the end. I was impressed, but I was still on the fence about pouring money into a game I already own. Their community interaction was friendly, albiet vague. I gave 505 the benefit of the doubt, and oh boy how wrong was I.

Fast forward to their open questions thread. I had asked a few questions, one of them pertaining to the "content." Their answer was well-toned and friendly, but they had still left out the largest part, opting to instead say they were simply going to reveal the new content "over the coming months." I was fine with that answer, so I decided to be patient. I was occupied with other arguments and many other things at the time.

Now that actual console gameplay has come out, along with a promise of a 1-2 month window for the release date, I have to beg the question again. Where is the new content? We've seen at least three our four months of great PR, but the marketing has gone completely down the drain. Where is the content that is supposed to draw me in to this new port? Why should I take this version over the PC version I already own? What is the point of wasting money on what is basically Minecraft 360: Terraria Edition? I don't get it. There has only been one, count 'em, ONE tangible object actually shown that did not appear in the PC game.

505's way of marketing the console port of Terraria is absolutely stupid. I've asked many people and have been met with the same answer as mine, every single time. They are giving the buyer no incentive to buy their product other than the promise of new content and the coasting from the ripple that the original game made.

Show me why I should buy the game. Show me what makes this version so much better. Because I'm not convinced.
    BingoWasHisNamo and Lord Carver like this.
  2. Loki ISP Moderator

Where did you get your marketing degree? (Kidding)

Hype is a funny thing...especially it's pacing. If we get much further with no further "hooks" I'll agree with you. There is still time for info to be revealed, I suppose...1-3 months is an eternity nowadays...wouldn't want to burn all of your cards too soon...hype is all about cadence.

I'd suspect your mistake here is in that assuming we are the core target market. One might ask why they are here then...I'd suspect its just part of a broader social hype machine that will include other aspects when launch arrives,

Or, as you said, they are just terrible at this. Time will tell...

...the conversations about the game around here sure have shifted though...marketing being the art of belief and behavior modification after all. ;)
    Lord Carver likes this.
  3. Sgt. Bob Hell Bat

I'd say they haven't showed the content for 1 of 2 reasons:
    1. It's still buggy and they are still fixing it.
    2. They want to keep some of it a secret for the players.
    (I thought of a third one but can't remember it for some reason, will post it if I do.)
    TheUnrealMegashark likes this.
  4. TheUnrealMegashark Flying Fish

I agree with Sgt. Bob, it seems to be like they would want to keep it a secret. If it were me instead of 505 Games, I would probably do the same. It's kind of a love/hate relationship for keeping it a secret, as I really want to know some of the new content, but I do want it to be a surprise.
  5. Loki ISP Moderator

If it were me, I'd let the cadence of news take over...

Content teaser
    Multiplayer details
    Preview video

Launch.

See, you either assume they are done....or not.
  6. Taergehtekim Squirrel

First of all, I believe they said something about there being bosses that spawn only in the ocean or desert in the gameplay video, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Secondly, what they've got now seems to be pretty much Terraria but for console and with a few more features. "What's the big deal about that, Taergehtekim?" If I remember right, they reprogrammed the entire thing from scratch. Dunno if you've ever programmed before, but just because there already was a Terraria on PC doesn't mean that it could be ported to the console in a week like magic. Trust me, I've seen Redigit's code, it's a mess. (his code, not the game he made, don't anyone bash me for this. :p)

The above being said, they've got Terraria pretty much, and perhaps even already a few new bosses as hinted in the gameplay video. I can't wait to see what they can do in the next few months, and then they'll be updating after that as well I assume.

Sure, I dunno about their marketing. I will admit the gameplay video definitely seems to be targeted at people who've hardly played Terraria before, what with acting as if the Eye of Cthulhu is a big deal and all that. But I still think there's plenty of hope here.
    Morfessa likes this.
  7. Space Sphere Dark Caster

I agree about the Eye of Cthulu.
    Unless the console port controls are unbelievably terrible, falling aside anyone with a MEGASHARK should be able to kill it, since 2-D PC Platformers generally have basic controls. (WSAD to move, click to use shiny gun). I was also hoping for a video of action FROM THE START of the game, like the first episode of a let's play.

Also, I'd didnt hear any CONRETE EVIDENCE of a new boss in that video, I may have missed it but if there IS a new boss having them chat about it would have generated tons of hype.

Edit: Rewatched video, cool new spear, new boss confirmed.
  8. Jeckel Moderator

I say the less hype the better. I long for the days when movies/tv shows/games/etc weren't marketed non-stop for months and months before they are released.

If they haven't released all the needed information by the time the game is released, then there is a problem. Before that it doesn't really matter because you can't buy the game yet anyway.
  9. Loki ISP Moderator

In the video, "Logan" said the new content included new weapons, armor, mobs, and bosses. Only an orca has been seen to date (mob).

Later, when discussing summoning bosses, he either slipped or misspoke around ocean and desert bosses. He said it...and then backtracked.

The video is clearly targeted at console players whom are unfamiliar with Terraria. They will evaluate it differently than we will. That was my point on "target market"
    Lord Carver likes this.
  10. Irie Giant Worm

Inb4 the orca is a boss.
  11. Korin Possessed Armor

If you look closely, you'll see a few similarities between Redigit and 505.

Promises. Promises. Promises.

With the end result being those poor saps who buy this will get shafted yet again with mediocre content.
    Lord Carver likes this.
  12. Loki ISP Moderator

...and if they go equally unfulfilled, I trust they will get the valid backlash.

That said, as the game hasn't released yet, we have no clue what they have or have not delivered.

Just saying...
  13. Stackerzgame Dungeon Spirit

-Orca
    -New enemies
    -New armor
    -New spear thing
    -Auto mode
    -On screen map
    -New boss

To name some of the new content that has been announced.

The product isn't done. They're still making some of this. They're not going to tell you everything months before it's even done. I'm sure when it's done they'll advertise the shit out of it. Be more patient. I think they're doing a pretty good job.
    Morfessa and Loki ISP like this.
  14. Space Sphere Dark Caster

With the desert-ocean boss, could it have been him trying to say that you have to go to different places to fight the other bosses, but he didn't want to spoil things like the Corruption?
  15. Loki ISP Moderator

That was what his comment was relating to - but then he walked it back.
  16. Korin Possessed Armor

I really wish I could be as optimistic as you.
  17. Loki ISP Moderator

Not being optimistic, being factual.

If the console version is full of broken promises and suckdom, I'll be as critical as anyone.

I'm just of the mind to actually have the game to make that evaluation first.
  18. Korin Possessed Armor

I will pirate it to see what's new.

But I will certainly not put more coin into Redigit's purse.
  19. InvisibleClarity Corruptor

Don't forget, kids: Redigit is Satan and 505games worships him through blood sacrifices.

Anyway, marketing is tricky business. If I were them, I'd have put out more info about new shit. But it's not my company and it hasn't backfired yet. I'm sure we'll be seeing more content in the near future.
    SamothUpaw likes this.
  20. Cro_Player Zombie

You ar looking at this game as that its only for you, not others. Why do you look at this like a big scam? This game is one of those games that are fun to play on other platforms (I dont think that PC version is less fun) You are trying to make everybody hate console version. You are using different excuses than using "console sucks because they have more content..."
    Scorpius1981 and Morfessa like this.