Pre 1.2 How to find the Tinkerer - A short guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Crisis, Dec 1, 2011.

?

Was this helpful for you?

Yes, thank you for the help. 34 vote(s) 59.6%
I knew about this already, so not really. 23 vote(s) 40.4%
  1. Crisis Romantically Apocalyptic

[IMG]

Good day to you all.

Many people have been asking questions all over the forums as of lately about how to find the Tinkerer, and since the patch has only just hit, I’ve managed to find the Tinkerer and he’s now living happily with a bunch of other NPC’s. If you would like to know how to find the Tinkerer, follow this guide and you should be satisfied.

Before you do anything, make sure you have turned off Autopause in the settings menu.

After that, the first thing you’ll want to do is get a goblin army. This could take a while, I’m not quite sure if there’s some way you can speed up the process right now, but I happened to get one randomly. Anyway, get a goblin army, fight off the goblins and defeat them, then you can move on.

The next thing you need to do is head down to the dungeon, you should search around for the Tinkerer, and you may also come across the "Mechanic" at some stage. They’re both tied up, so make sure you free them and get out of there before the monsters down in the dungeon kill them.

Note: If you cannot find the Tinkerer in the dungeon, he may be in either the underground jungle or in a cave between dirt and rock layer.

You’ll notice that once you’re out, and you’ve managed to have suitable housing for the NPC, they’ll move in and you’ll be able to talk with them while they’re near your area.

A short version then, for those of you who like things brief, check out the spoiler below.
    Shorter Version (open)

1 - Turn Autopause off in the settings menu.
    2 - Defeat a goblin army.
    3 - Head to your dungeon, underground jungle or find a cave between dirt and rock layers and search for the Tinkerer, he’ll be tied up.
    4 - Free the Tinkerer and head back to your housing area.
    5 - You’ll find that he’ll be there, if you’ve a suitable location for him to live.

I'll leave you with a picture of the Tinkerer in a spoiler, so it will save some space for you all.
    The Tinkerer (open)
    [IMG]
  2. ribaldron Green Slime

I found the tinkerer in the dirt layer BTW - his only prerequisite seems to be "defeat a goblin invasion"

You can also speed up the process by using a goblin battle standard which tattered pieces of (what you use to craft the full one) drop from Goblin scouts which spawn on the far 1/3s of the map.

:)
    mtq1, Dark Fire Wolf and Crisis like this.
  3. Dettbizzle Slush King

I found my Tinkerer tied up in the underground jungle. What a miserable experience that was.
    Recks and Crisis like this.
  4. willpill35 Cave Bat

Helped alot but one question will they still show up in pre 1.1 worlds?
  5. ribaldron Green Slime

Yes they will. I'm unsure what features you're missing in a pre-1.1 world, but it doesn't seem to be much of importance, nothing that can't be fixed.
  6. Crisis Romantically Apocalyptic

Indeed they will, I've been using my world from the release of Terraria, and I seem to have found both the Tinkerer and the Mechanic within less than an hour of searching. I was using my oldest character too.
  7. willpill35 Cave Bat

ok thanks havent had alot of time to play around with it only could about a hour before work so ill definatly check all over once i get home
  8. Cheng Dez Cursed Skull

This is off topic but, how do you get a shotgun? I notice you have one)

Also, im looking in the dungeon right now, ill tell ya if i find it :D
  9. Crisis Romantically Apocalyptic

They're activated once you defeat "Wall of Flesh" And are usually sold by the Weapons Dealer.
  10. Sob Piranha

Soo.... You can find new npc in ANY single place on your map? If it's completely random... Really, it's nearly impossible to look at every tiny part of the map...... Any hint on finding a wizard? :s

Also are those 3 new npcs available before WoF?
  11. Crisis Romantically Apocalyptic

I've not come across a Wizard yet, but I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I find one. I believe that at least the Tinkerer and the Mechanic are available before defeating WoF.

There's a bunch of new NPC's after defeating WoF, this may include the wizard.
    Sob likes this.
  12. ribaldron Green Slime

Well, I found the Wizard after defeating WoF, below the dirt layer (don't remember if it was underground or cavern) I think it was while I was working on Mithril, so I would wager Cavern. I also went straight into hard mode, though, so I'm unsure if WoF is a requirement- would wager you're on to something there, though, given his inventory.

The Tinkerer is found in the Dungeon, and the Mechanic can basically be found anywhere (underground, at most) after a goblin invasion.

They will return(respawn as normal) after you've rescued them, if they're later killed or thrown out of their homes. (Either just might well happen in hard mode :p)
  13. Sob Piranha

AFAIK Mechanic is found in dungeon and Tinkerer can befound anywhere.
  14. Cat-Loaf Green Slime

I'm having an issue with the Tinkerer. For some reason, he just won't join my house with the other NPCs. I have both above and below-ground suitable living areas for him to move into, and I did everything the guide said to. When I talked to him while he was tied up underground, he said thanks for freeing him and didn't move from the spot he was in. Now, I can't find him again, and he hasn't shown up at my house for over 3 in-game days. Please help if you can anyone.
  15. ribaldron Green Slime

There's a new housing toggle above your equips. Click that. If you've got a little goblin icon, you're good to go, click that and select the room you want him in.

If you have issues, or don't have the goblin, click the ? and then click the room, and it will tell you what's wrong with it. there are some generic errors which will let you know that something basic is the matter with that room.

*It's likely an issue of you not having been far enough away for the NPC to teleport to his home - or that he did teleport, but to an unexpected room buried somewhere in the map, but with the housing toggle you can tell him exactly where to move in. Hope it helps.
  16. dra6o0n Cursed Skull

Mechanic is in the dungeon, she proclaims about Skeletron keeping her bound up.

Tinkerer is underground somewhere, the issue is that on large maps you may have some troubles finding him.

Wizard is likely related to something magical, but essentially Wall of Flesh is most likely required.
  17. Sob Piranha

Tp release any new npc you have to turn "auto-pause" OFF!
    When I had it turned ON, I couldn't take the tinkeler. After changing options there were no furhter problems.

(Moreover, npc respawned like a few meters deeper in dungeon -still before 1st room- aaand mechanic appeared next to him. I guess I was pretty lucky ;p)
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sob_/screenshot/650998799264277235
  18. apollyon Green Slime

no idea if it's been said yet but you should include in the guide that autopause needs to be turned off, else tinkerer, the wizard and the mechanic can't be freed
  19. Bloodaegis Green Slime

Damn so the goblin is ANYWHERE on my map greaaaaat...

All it takes is to clear a goblin invasion? good thing they where so courteous to invade as Eye of Cthulu was kicking in my door.

The Mechanic is in the dungeon, eh?

What armor is needed to get in there I have meteor right now It's been too long since I last played hahaha
  20. Pure Insanity Green Slime

Do you need a 1.1 world? Because I killed the WoF Went into the dungeon freed him and he said "Thank you" But he didn't move, when I tried to assign his house he didn't have one of the face icons and he's still wrapped up in rope.
    Any advice?