Pre 1.2 How to get a Merchant!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by JackleZ, May 17, 2011.

1. JackleZ

JackleZ Green Slime

So guys, took us a while but we figured it out.

First steps!
    Build a house. The requirements are as follows:

• Backdrop (aka wood or stone wall)
    • Walls and ceiling as high as you can reach standing on the ground
    • Source of light (a torch)
    • A workbench
    • A table and chairs
    • A door

You may not have to put a table or chairs, but it generally makes the place look nicer.

Second steps!
    You need at least 50 silver between you or the people on your server.

Finally!
    Once all that is done, he should move in soon.

NOTE: Watch out that the guide does not move in to the house. If he does, build another one.

2. Sheppard

Sheppard Green Slime

No. The merchant does not have a standard for interior design. All you need is to construct a regular house (walls, 2 doors, table, chair, light source) AND have 50 silver in your inventory. The merchant will then spawn.

There IS a wiki you know. Don't post trivial and blatantly false information on the forums. It just wastes space.

3. Ari

Ari Squirrel

Just an addendum: If the guide moves into your primary house, make sure to have a second house/room for the merchant.

4. Kitty-dono

Kitty-dono Green Slime

Merchants may eventually teleport into second story rooms or more when you're not watching.
    Creepy.

5. Bob_The Angry Bunny

Bob_The Angry Bunny Doctor Bones

it only requires 1 door, but that's all you need.

6. Grogg

Grogg Green Slime

Will the merchant show up in underground rooms? My living quarters are all underground (I am a dwarf ;P)

7. Sheppard

Sheppard Green Slime

Ah, so it does. Thank you for the correction, I'm still stuck in the alpha version mentality. It used to require 2 doors, now just one.

8. Bob_The Angry Bunny

Bob_The Angry Bunny Doctor Bones

It probably will, if you can remove the back wall, and replace it with something man made. (Bricks, or wood)

9. JackleZ

JackleZ Green Slime

You can remove dirt back walls from mining using a hammer, I didn't realise this until yesterday :p

10. nordentipwel

nordentipwel Green Slime

It will, but I don't know if your are really deep underground because it will be a pain to remove the dirt wall starting from the top !

11. JackleZ

JackleZ Green Slime

I wouldn't bother doing it under ground. Just build a house above ground.

I have an apartment block filled with NPC's :p

12. Grogg

Grogg Green Slime

Yeah, found out yesterday trying to remove dirt background from an edge was a pain. I'll just build an above ground NPC shop.

Thanks!