Pre 1.2 How to get multiple items without cooldown from statues

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Nuxohiz, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Nuxohiz Blazing Wheel

[IMG]

If you are completely new to wiring I would suggest you reading the Basic Mechanics guide by MuddyTM first.

Table of content
    1. The six activation points of a statue
    2. Why double pressure plates aren't advisable
    3. Postulate: a single wire contains two wires
    4. Goldfish farm, application of the new wiring
    5. Additional information
    6. Acknowledgement
    1. The six activation points of a statue
    I will begin with the very basics of the heart, star and bomb statue. As you perhaps know statues have six places where you can activate them.

The six activation points
    [IMG]

With multiple activation spots you can summon multiple items without the 10 second cool down.

There are some general restrictions however:
    • Every spot must be activated by a different signal (for example you need two pressure plates of which each is connected to an other activation spot for two items and not one pressure plate which is connected with two activation spots).
    • The shortest path the different signals take must be unique. So the shortest path for two signals may not go through the same piece of wire.
    • A signal only goes through an other pressure plate if that is the only option. Since the signal goes through the pressure plate the signal will see it as if that pressure plate has sent the signal as well (resulting in two signals taking the same path, so only one item get summoned).
    • It's advisable to keep at least one empty space between two pressure plates. So called double pressure plates may give unpredictable results (more about this later).
    Examples of incorrect wiring for summoning two items (no unique shortest paths and/or not connecting to two active spots).
    [IMG]

Examples of correct wiring for summoning two items.
    [IMG]

An example for summoning 3 items.
    [IMG]

An example for summoning 4 items.
    [IMG]

An example for summoning 5 items.
    [IMG]

An example for summoning 6 items, the maximum amount.
    [IMG]

Notes:
    • Statues can only have 3 of their items/creatures close to their statues (within 300 pixels or 12 blocks), 6 within 800 pixels and 10 in the entire world. This mean that they cannot summon a fourth item if one of the items nearby hasn't been picked up yet.
    • Multiple items can be summoned simultaneously if the statue get multiple different signals at the same time.
    • The activation spots have their own cool downs. This mean that if you summon the first item at second 1 and the others at second 3, 5, 7, 8 and 9 that the first activation spot can give you an item again at the 11th second and the others at the 13th, 15th, 17th, 18th and 19th second.
    • Instead of pressure plates you can also use switches, levers and timers of course.

2. Why double pressure plates aren't advisable
    Below are six numbered examples. A green number means that it gives as many bombs as there are pressure plates and a red number means that it gives one bomb too little.
    [IMG]

The fourth example doesn't gives 3 bombs, because there are no 3 shortest unique paths. The two pressure plates at the left use the same wire for their shortest way.
    Why the fifth example doesn't gives four bombs however is a mystery. As you can see it's just example 2, but than double. It's also example 6, but than without space between the pressure plate and bomb.

The exact same set up when using double pressure plates can give different results on different servers. Examples of this from the time that I thought that there were only four activation points can be found in the spoiler.
    Different results on different single player worlds for exactly the same systems (open)

[IMG]
    Three examples of a six item summon set up. This one proved me that the double pressure plates can get bugged. The top two examples gives on one of my world six items no matter or I run from the left to the right or from the right to the left. On an other single player world however they give 6 bombs when I run from the right to the left and when I run from the left to the right they give me only 5 bombs.
    The last example gives me six bombs on both worlds no matter from which direction I run.

3. Postulate: a single wire can transmit a signal in both ways simultaneously
    My postulate is that any segment of wire can simultaneously transmit one signal in each of two directions, but if multiple signals pass through the wire segment at the same time in the same direction time, only one is conducted and the rest are blocked in. Why do I think that?

Following the previous wire restrictions one would except the following examples to give two bombs and the third example three bombs. This is because the first pressure plate use the entire wire for it's signal, so the second pressure plate doesn't has a shortest unique route left.
    Only in the third example it has one shortest unique route left which goes to the second bomb statue.
    [IMG]

However, the first two examples give three bombs and the third one four bomb. Is the shortest unique route theory incorrect or incomplete? No, it isn't.
    My theory is that wires in Terraria can conduct signals in both directions simultaneously. But any segment of wire can only simultaneously transmit one signal in each of two directions. If multiple signals pass through the wire segment at the same time in the same direction time, only one is conducted and the rest are blocked.

In the previous examples the signals would go the following way, if you activate the left pressure plate first and then the right one, which results in three bombs from the first two examples and a four bombs from the third example.
    [IMG]

4. Goldfish farm, application of the new wiring
    A goldfish farm has in general at least one fish statue with a thin layer of lava on a big layer of water. This is to kill the goldfish that spawn instantly.
    [IMG]
    How this can be constructed is well explained in the Lava-on-Water guide by Sye Naem.

The statue is then wired to one or multiple engines. Following the Engines Compared thread the best engine for fish farms is the crab engine. Since a fish statue has six activation points the goal is to wire six crab engines to a single goldfish statue.

That gives the following set up
    [IMG]
    The same fish farm wired and in action (open)
    The fish farm wired[IMG]

To start the fish farm the active stone blocks must be inactive, which can be done by pulling the levers. After that the three second timer must be activated to start the crab spawning. It takes 53.5 seconds to summon 6 crabs and to get them trapped. During this time you must stay right of the crab engines.
    To stop the crab engine the 3 second timer must be off and the one second timer can be activated to kill the crabs with the dart trap.

The design was first published by Sye Naem in his Efficient Use of One Crab Statue (plus 43.2 p/hr Goldfish Generator) guide. The reason for the double wall at the first two crab engines is so there will be a maximum of three crabs hitting a pressure plate at the same time. Only three goldfish can be spawned at the same time and if more crabs would be jumping synchronized the goldfish output would be lower.
    The cool down of a goldfish statue is 0.5 seconds and with the new wiring one can achieve an income of 8.64 platinum per hour when the gold fish are being sold to a npc.
    For the ease of selling you can make the home of a npc nearby, which can be seen in BuchsBaum's guide, or summon a npc with help of a statue.

If the goldfish farm was wired the old way with a single wire going through all the pressure plates and leading to only one activation point the output was 1.44 p/h. The new wiring improved the efficiency with 500%.

5. Additional information
    How to get 6 crabs with one crab statue (open)

A crab statue can summon more than three crabs, but is limited to the following rules:

The wiki:
    So if you want more than three crabs close to each other you only have to let the crabs walk far enough away from the statue.

How many blocks is 300 pixels? 300 pixels is a tiny bit more than 11 blocks, but less than 12.

This statue can summon a crab.
    [IMG]

When the statue is not on the same line as the crab you can place it as close as 11.18 squares to the third crab.

The square-root of 10^2 + 5^2 = 11.18
    [IMG]

What to do when you want to remove the fish statue without losing it in the lava (open)

Make a hole next to the wall and then a hole in the wall. Just wait till the lava is gone. If there's a a big enough surface below where the lava can spread it will disappear.

Don't stay too close to the edge or you will get on fire. If you would have simply remove the statue without removing the lava first there's a good chance that the statue gets destroyed by the lava.

[IMG]
    An old fish farm during a blood moon (open)

During blood moons the goldfish farms yield even more money since a corrupt goldfish drops more money than two silver (the amount of money you get for selling a single goldfish).
    [IMG]

Funny things I discovered while building during a blood moon (open)

While my crab engines were on, a monster stepped on my heart/star/bomb summoner which was replaced with a fish statue. If you want to know what the maximum amount of monsters in a screen is: feel free to count. Killing a zombie made it possible for one piranha to get summoned, so the monster limit goes for the total amount of monsters and not for a single type.

[IMG]

When jumping into a small pool with a lot of piranhas while having the buff of the thorns potion (don't know or this is required, but I didn't tested it without the buff), you will get your own whirlpool.

[IMG]

No matter how good your sword is, there is a maximum amount of hits it can deal with a single blow. For those saying: "you are standing too high," I also tried it while standing in the pool and when standing right of the pool with the same effect: only hitting a few piranhas and not all of them.

6. Acknowledgement
    • After reading Christoffer Nilsson's guide of how to get four hearts from a single heart statue I was surprised that you could get 4 hearts from one statue without cool down and thought that it could be done more efficient. His guide was very short and as my reply was getting bigger and bigger I decided to make my own guide.
    • OnyxAlchemyst for fixing my spoiler problem. For some reason it showed two additional empty spoilers while I used only one spoiler code.
    • MiniManolinho for suggesting to do the picture 'titles' above the pictures instead of under and for suggesting to make it more clear what the best set up/result is.
    • Danjump for making his 11.7, 23.8, or 28.2 Plat/hr fish farms that made me realise that statues have 6 activation points instead of four.
    • Dibidy for having the most awesome fish farm in my eyes (see here) for when you have a lot of fish and crab statues. It gave me the idea of making my final fish farm a bit more automatic.
    • Adaxe for showing an error in my calculations.
    • The wiki for the monster spawning rules of statues.
    The old fishfarm section in case someone is interested in the outdated information (open)

Fish Farms (the fish farm section is outdated and needs revision).

Arterra asked here or the multiple activation points only effected the heart, star and bomb statue or that it could also be applied at for example the famous fish farms. This required some research and will only focus on how to get the most out of a single fish and a single crab statue. If you want to make a big fish farm with multiple statues I would suggest you to have a look at the New High-Output Goldfish Generator (41.9 plat/hr) thread by Sye Naem.

1 activation point: 52,5 seconds for 99 fish = 1.36 p/h (platinum per hour)
    [IMG]

2 activation points: 33 seconds for 99 fish = 2.16 p/h
    [IMG]

3 activation points: 1m41 for 6 stacks of fish = 4.23 p/h
    Without having doing difficult with a crab statue to get more than three crabs this is the best you can get
    [IMG]

4 activation points 2m13 for 8 stacks of fish = 5.05 p/h.
    [IMG]

6 activation points 2m8 for 8 stacks of fish = 5.28 p/h
    This is the best you can get out of one fish statue and one crab statue.
    [IMG]

Smallest version of a 6 activation point fish farm (for some reason this one needs 2m11s50 for 8 stacks of fish = 5.11 p/h.
    [IMG]

Which fish farm I would suggest
    My suggestion would be to make a variation on the three activation points fish farm that gives 4.23 platinum per hour. This is because you don't have to replace the crab statue every time. This saves time and the three activation points fish farm is almost as good as the four and six activation points fish farm.
    It's also smaller, so it fits better in a base and it cost less wires.

In my case it would look like this:
    [IMG]

The switches makes it possible to place the crabs easily (the stone blocks are active stone blocks). The switch at the dart trap can kill the crabs for you for whatever reason you have. It requires two shots to kill a crab and the torches do not block the path of the dart.
    [IMG]

194% efficiency increase due to better wiring
    If you would have wired the suggested farm the 'classic' way as shown below it would have taken 4m58 to get 6 stacks of fish = 1.44 p/h.
    So wiring it the 'new' way increase the money income with 194%.
    [IMG]

Notes:
    • My layer of lava isn't on a layer of water, because I can't make a thin layer of lava on water. When I try what people say and apply it to a single statue the lava evaporates.
    • You could make a house next or above the spawn for easy selling. You also don't run the risk that the crabs will disappear. (Idea taken from BuchsBaum's guide).
    • Usually I used double pressure plates for the crabs, because I saw it somewhere and read that it was needed. Single pressure plates however works totally fine and doesn't reduce the efficiency.
    • The output can be optimized by using water with a thin layer of lava instead of only lava. Sye Naem explains very well how to create this optimal a thin layer of lava on water in his Lava-on-Water guide.
    Outdated instructions on how to construct a fish farm (open)
    First you have to place the fish statue, place the water and then adding a thin layer of lava.
    Sye Naem explains very well how to place the layer of lava in his Lava-on-Water guide.
    With his method the fish die instantly which can be used for a higher output.

What to do when you want to remove the fish statue without losing it in the lava (open)

Make a hole next to the wall and then a hole in the wall. Just wait till the lava is gone. If there's a a big enough surface below where the lava can spread it will evaporate.

Don't stay too close to the edge or you will get on fire. If you would have simply remove the statue without removing the lava first there's a good chance that the statue gets destroyed by the lava.

[IMG]

After that you can make cages for the crabs, summon them and trap them. You must be fast with locking them up since they start jumping when they fall down and after a little while to will get up and walk away.

[IMG]

Then you lay down the pressure plates. (In this example it's already wired, hence the summoning of fish).

[IMG]

Then you wire it like this.

[IMG]

If you want you can remove everything you don't need and make it smaller by putting the fish statue lower. You can also make the fish statue after you set up all the crabs.

Then you can get this small set up which you can even build in your house.

[IMG]

For the new wiring.

[IMG]
    OhhMarty, Canti, Xman101 and 39 others like this.
  2. N1ckx2 Blazing Wheel

This is a great guide. The 6 heart one can heal 120 hp! That's only a bit less than a greater healing potion. Very useful.
  3. OnyxAlchemyst Lava Slime

Very thorough guide you've made. Good work. I'll have to try some of these out sometime. >_>
  4. Nuxohiz Blazing Wheel

Thanks for the kind words :)
    For the 6 hearts you would have to jump over the second set of the pressure plates and hit those later. Otherwise the statue wants to summon a 4th heart before you are close enough to pick any of the hearts up that are already there. Could be fixed perhaps by placing the statue higher so the hearts would fall down, but then you have a little barrier in the air which prevents you from hitting a boss at some moments with ranged or magic attacks.
  5. Mr.Person Moth

Dude, this is amazing. Thanks!
    Put this on the thread!
    [IMG]
  6. Dibidy Slimed Zombie

Okay, well let me get this straight.....this is awesome?
  7. Arterra Green Slime

does this only work with hearts/mana/bombs? what about the famous goldfish farm?
    Nuxohiz likes this.
  8. Jace Altair Green Slime

Nice guide.
  9. MiniManolinho Bone Serpent

This is epic. Very nice work figuring it out. Now I only need the statue itself... (I would have killed everything with regular Wiring if I had one of those.)
    Mr.Person likes this.
  10. Nuxohiz Blazing Wheel

I don't like you. Now I was forced to research it. It was impossible for me to resist my curiosity.
    I also discovered something I haven't seen before at the forum, but maybe I will say more about that an other time when I design different kind of fish farms ^^

If anyone knows how to get the two empty spoilers removed I would be grateful. I only used a single spoiler code and when using a spoiler code for every picture alone I get 3x3 spoilers -.-'

Updated with how you can use it for fish farms.
  11. danjump Green Slime

Oh Geez, this opens up a WHOLE can of worms. The fish farms i've seen/posted use only 3 activation points because I thought you had to keep activation points isolated. Using more than that is well and good for a single fish statue, but that could get crazy complicated for densely packed fish farms. I'd be interested to see if anyone can use this fact to make a better fish farm or not.

Thanks for the info in general tho. Good statue insights =)
  12. Nuxohiz Blazing Wheel

I just looked closer to your medium fish spawner (saw it earlier today, but ignored the small and medium one) and while using paint to improve the wiring I decided to test something I saw at your fish farm I 'discovered' that fish statues have 6 activation points...
    Dinner time now. I will check later or this means that the single fish statue farms can be improved even more.
  13. OnyxAlchemyst Lava Slime

Played around with the coding a bit, and somehow got it to have one spoiler. You should be able to copy-paste the code in the window to get it to work. >_>

Code:

[spoiler]

[B][COLOR=#0000ff][IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/soul-of-goodnes/maximumamountofmonsters.png[/IMG][/COLOR][/B]
    While my crab engines were on a monster stepped on my heart/star/bomb summoner which was replaced with a fish statue. If you want to know what the maximum amount of monsters in a screen is: feel free to count. Killing a zombie made it possible for one piranha to get summoned, so the monster limit goes for the total amount of monsters and not for a single type.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/soul-of-goodnes/whirlpool.png[/IMG]
    When jumping into a small pool with a lot of piranhas while having the buff of the thorns potion (don't know or this is required, but I didn't tested it without), you will get your own whirlpool.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/soul-of-goodnes/maximumamountofhitswithsword.png[/IMG]
    No matter how good your sword is, there is a maximum amount of hits it can deal with a single blow. For those saying: "you are standing too high," I also tried it while standing in the pool and when standing right of the pool with the same effect: only hitting a few piranhas and not all of them. [/spoiler]

MiniManolinho and Nuxohiz like this.
  14. Nuxohiz Blazing Wheel

Thanks a lot, it works :)
    I gave you credits for it in the credits section :p

Time to further improve the single fish statue usage now I know that statues have 6 activation points and not four.
  15. MiniManolinho Bone Serpent

Damn, your Fish Farm is epic, sir. Very nice work. I shall praise you forever. Now we finally have an effective farm with a single statue.

Also, a hint about your post: Make a "Final Layout" in the end of each section. That way we are sure about which one is the best. :p
    Also, I advise you to make the effects above the picture. Like this:

1 activation point: 52,5 seconds for 99 fish.
    <Picture Here>

It's really hard to look at a picture, then read the text, then look at it again to understand. :confused: Just saying.
    Nuxohiz likes this.
  16. Nuxohiz Blazing Wheel

Thanks for the suggestions, I applied them. I kinda rewrote the entire guide for the correction of 6 activation points instead of 4. Also remade the pictures that were dark, unclear or bad looking.

Update: rewrote almost the entire guide.

Edit: I'm considering removing all the fishing farm part of this guide and put that in a new guide. That would give a better overview. I have the feeling now that this are two separate guides in one post. What do you guys and girls think about it?
    MiniManolinho likes this.
  17. juventas Bunny

Yeah, a separate fish farm guide would be awesome. I'm particularly interested in a minimal setup fish farm (few switches to press), which would definitely be efficient with these principles.
  18. ismokepot Green Slime

epic guide man this is going to help a lot of newer players that might only have a few statues ;)
  19. Nuxohiz Blazing Wheel

For the minimal set up you can simply take the three action point fish farm. When looking to the suggested fish farm with npc you can add as many of those levers as you like.
    I tried to make the set up on such as way that you only had to use one lever which would make three crabs spawn and lock those up in their cages. Unfortunately that's only possible with three crab statues, not with one.

Update
    Postulate: a single wire contains two wires!
    Do you find this confusing? Read the guide where it is explained :)
  20. Dibidy Slimed Zombie

Yipee! Thanks for the last goldfish statue, pretty simple yet efficient though, I'll just make it automatic with 3 crab statues:D

Oh and about the lava thing, use the splitting method where it's shaped like a triangle or...whatever you call that lol. Let little lava flow into the box then remove a block so that no more lava will flow through. Hope this helps!:)