Pre 1.2 How to kill the Destroyer

Discussion in 'Guides' started by The Demolitionist, Feb 29, 2012.

?

Did this help you?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2013.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ok this is PROBABLY not the best guide(s) out there
    But I'm gonna try and add some reasonings to make it better

Equipment:
    Ok…the Destroyer….probably the first (hardmode) Boss you ever kill
    your equipment should be as follows:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Also This for why you need it….:
    Full Adamantite with Melee Helmet For increased defence
    Cross Necklace for longer invincibility
    Cobalt/Obsidian Shield For knock-back immunity (you can grapple yourself to the ground or put a small box around you so optional)

Star Cloak (optional)
    Feral Claws And Warriors Emblem for Bonus Damage
    'Insert Your Weapon Here' Possibilities are Phasesabers, Cobalt Sword, Adamantite Glaive, Adamantite Sword, Magic Harp(NOT RECOMMENDED Because you have to kill the twins)

Reforging:

You'll need this for extra defence right now so they should all be reforged to At least Guarding or better (Warding and Armored)
    The Battle:

So now that your all ready lets get ready to fight

Use The buff hotkey (B on default) to drink your potion. Then just summon him and Stand inside him swinging your sword at him
    Pros:
    • If you stand inside him you can rack up serious damage and take only 1 damage per hit
    • When your HP gets low you can smash a few probes to get hearts and then go back to fighting
    Cons:
    • A Possessed Armor(s) might get where your standing and deal more damage to fix this you can fight in a more sheltered area
    • Corrupters might come over to where you are fighting and turn your whole place into a corrupted landscape further summoning more corrrupters
    • If your unlucky enough to fight on a blood moon clowns WILL destroy your creations
    And Remember, If all else fails use explosives
    ~Demolitionist

2. jaxter0987

jaxter0987 Cursed Skull

Can't stress Reforging enough. Reforging is like the most awesome thing that came into Terraria (inb4 someone provides a good example of why I'm wrong)

Get Obsidian Shield for that extra two defence. I actually never thought to use the Cross Necklace. With that item in mind, the Destroyer is a freaking piece of cake. Also Dao of Pow is a viable substitute if you don't happen to have an Adamantite Sword / Glaive. Starcloak might be a good replacement for Feral Claws.

Garneac likes this.
  3. Step 1: Acquire a boulder.
    Step 2:

Repeat as needed.

Gmodlol61, Ix0r, Bobrocket and 3 others like this.
  4. altermaven

altermaven Dark Caster

Setting up a series of boulder traps to pummel the Destroyer takes a little bit of work and timing. If you have a Phasesaber, try getting it to Legendary so you have decent damage output and constant swing means fewer clicks. :) Also, Thorns is more or less a must in this battle, what if the head hits you? It'll take damage too. But if you're a spear or flail person, it's important that you swing in the general direction of where the boss is going so you'll hit more segments.

Don't try the flail-to-the-ground strategy, it's slow and often does not work with this boss.

When probes are out, go kill the probes for hearts.

If you haven't already, craft some greater healing potions. Although not necessary if you dodge well, that extra +50 will help you out.

Adamantite armor is best for fighting all bosses for the first time, I agree.

I also agree with the reforging. However, if you have wings (??) just remember that you are going to need a lot of money if you don't have that much luck on a +2/+3/+4 Defense mod, an unforged pair of wings requires 40 gold!

List of accessories that will help you:
    >Feral Claws (Jungle shrine): Increased melee speed = more swings.
    >Cross Necklace (Mimic): Increased invincibility time = fewer times you're going to get hit.
    >Philosopher's Stone (Mimic): Decreased potion cooldown, optional
    >Cobalt Shield (Dungeon): Nullifies knockback, +1 Defense; combine with an Obsidian Skull for:
    >Obsidian Shield (Tinkerer's Workshop): +2 Defense, nullifies knockback, immunity to "hot" tiles (the latter isn't necessary)

If you lack a shield... like the OP said, just grapple yourself to the ground.

If you get a blood moon, don't fight the boss. Wait until next night. You'll have a LOT of company during the fight if you do.

If possible, make a "sheltered" area involving two walls that are a screen's width apart. This will prevent most monsters from walking in during your fight; however, it sorta limits your mobility, so there is a give/take here.

You don't need to be in a corrupted area for this fight. You shouldn't. The corrupted area has a lot of flying monsters, some which are hard-hitting. Also, corruptors.

I think that sums it up for my tips. I may have left a few gaps. If you do find a gap or two, provide your own kind info :)

5. jaxter0987

jaxter0987 Cursed Skull

Don't use wings in this fight. They bring nothing unless you're actually trying to dodge the Destroyer's attacks which doesn't work that well honestly. Just any old accessory would do as a replacement for an empty slot. You'd want that 5th slot for the extra defence and not the accessory's actual function. So an obsidian skull or shackle would do.

The flail on the ground worked just fine for me O.O
    The probes killed themselves and I didn't need to do anything special.

Garneac likes this.
  6. altermaven

altermaven Dark Caster

I am just saying, if you have wings as part of your accessory setup, expect moderate money drain. I am not insisting you use them during this battle. (Though they are nice if you want to get out of the box.) I would've swapped the wings for feral claws if I didn't make the box. Then again, if I didn't make the box, I'd have gastropods up my (bleep)..

As for flail strategy, I found that it was better swinging in the line of the segments instead of having it on the ground. But whatever works..

7. Yeah But with all this you still have 1 extra inventory slot so you can just add that in not replace it

I know about my blood moon but i aws really anxious to fight skeletron prime so i summoned him right when night came and it said the blood moon was rising and i got pwned :p

yeah but I only put the hallow around my house so the rest is corrupted and i dont wanna get all my npcs killed soo...

and also instead of a phasesaber you can use like a cobalt sword too...

8. Blue Lit

Blue Lit Spore Zombie

look at you! your a demo! just nuke the little sucker.

9. They should seriously make a boulderman he'd be my new competitor not just some stupid guy who sells guns

Dark Fire Wolf likes this.
  10. Mr. Mine

Mr. Mine Green Slime

DYNAMITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................................or MAGICAL HARP.

11. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Green Slime

I'm getting tired of these guides.
    You COULD do the same thing that twenty other people have done (this guide is exactly the same as all the others) OR you could do it the easy way and check out my guide on Boulders.
    This guide is neither 'innovative' or 'detailed'. You're saying the same thing that a hundred other people have. There are much better versions of this same strategy out there.

12. General_Milky

General_Milky Pigron

Just saying, coming in here to knock a tired guide is fine, but don't promote your own which is just as tired and skilless (I'm willing to say using boulders as a primary weapon vs. destroyer is just as much an exploit as hellstone is by now) while doing it. Just makes you look conceited.

13. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Green Slime

How is it an exploit? :/
    Also: If I didn't people like you would say: "Herp derp don't bash you probably can't kill the Destroyer with full Hallowed". So it really is a lose-lose scenario.

14. But YOUR guide wasnt detailed that much…no pictures I didnt even know how to set it up…...

15. GoldenPhoenix 97

GoldenPhoenix 97 Bone Serpent

Would Mythril armor work?

16. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Green Slime

Yes, because everyone who wanted to set it up was able to do so on their own. The way the Destroyer spawns is also changeable, so he won't always spawn the way you want him to (other people tell me this; I personally have no problem making him completely flat) AND somebody always makes their own modifications to it. :/

17. If you have good enough prefixes…on wep and accesories

18. sounds like something I'd do….where can i get explosive boulders?

Dark Fire Wolf likes this.
  19. DermWorm981

DermWorm981 Lava Slime

1. Have full Hallowed Set, Melee Helmet, all accesories Warden, Legendary Excalibur, Greater Healing Potions and Destroy ALL THE PROBES.
    2. Once Probes are no where (they are inside the Destroyer. They are indicated as the red spots. After a while they'll come out and that's where you destroy them.) the Destroyer is an easier EoW. Easier way to beat the Destroyer.

20. jaxter0987

jaxter0987 Cursed Skull

Pointless post as the guide was meant for people who will fight the Destroyer for the first time. And with that set of equipment, you can just basically ignore the probes (only hurting them when they enter your range of your weapon).

Garneac likes this.