Pre 1.2 How to Start/Run your own server!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Feoredorne, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Feoredorne Zombie

Hey forums! Today I am going to show you how to (Easily) create your own
    online server for people to play on! http://portforward.com/help/portforwarding.htm This website lets you portfoward your computer to make a terraria server! if your port is already 7777, no worries!
    Step 1.
    First what you have to do is download the Terraria dedicated server files from the main Terraria website. www.Terraria.org Scroll right to the bottom of this page and you will see
    "Download the dedicated server software (1.0.4)." Download this file to either your downloads folder, or anywhere else you please. Your desktop would be the ideal place to download it to considering you will be using it often (or not) to run your server. The dedicated server software is free to download, and it is a direct download with no install. So no worries! This picture should display the website you need to go on, and the files you need to download.
    Step1.png Step 2.
    Open your terraria dedicated server file as shown below.
    Step2.png 
    Step 3.
    Now that you have opened your server you will see something like this. Press the number of the world you wish to select, and Bingo! You are on the way to having your server running in No time!
    Step3.png Step 4.
    Choose how many people you want to be able to go on your server at one time. I set it to 15-20 people because I run a public server that usually has a high population. If it's just going to be you and 2-5 of your friends, just press ENTER for this step. You, and your server take up two player slots.
    Step4.png 

Step 5.
    This, and the next steps are very simple, so you barely have to worry about anything!
    For this, You'll want to set your port to 7777. So just press enter. Scroll up if you still need to port-foward your computer!
    step5.png
    Step 6.
    For this step you can set your password, or not. I would use a password only if I am playing with a group of friends and don't want any interruptions, or if you are making an unmodded whitelist server so you can send a message to your players with the password so other people who aren't on your whitelist can't join your server. step6.png 
    Step 7.
    Now that you have all that up and running, go to WhatsmyIP.org to check your IP adress, post that, and a description of your server in the "Server" section of the forums, and there you go! You are running your own server!

Step 8.
    There is no step 8! your done! finito! finished! completed! yipeeee!!!!111111!!!!!11!!!!
    step7.png 
    Infraction has been given for this message by qbicfeet. Details | Jun 17, 2011
  2. qbicfeet Green Slime

Moved to the Guides section.
  3. Feoredorne Zombie

Sorry :) I'm kinda new and I didn't know if I should put it in to Help or not. Sorry!
  4. Munchkins123 Green Slime

So how do people join ur newly created server
  5. Feoredorne Zombie

Ah yes! sorry hah, I missed out that part. Let me update the post ^^
  6. Feoredorne Zombie

The post is updated now! Thanks for correcting me there :)
  7. Dawnstrider Green Slime

This is all good and all. But how do you join that server once its created?
  8. Zamixus Doctor Bones

What about all the port-forwarding stuff?
  9. Blaze959 Doctor Bones

Can you play on the same computer your server is running on?
    And can a computer that cannot run Terraria (no directx 9) run a dedicated server?
    Can you also skip port-forwarding and use Hamachi instead?
  10. Quantum Physics Piranha

Indeed.
    @Feoredorne: You should include the "Host and Play" on a single client method of running the Server as well.
    Everything so far looks great. Good job.
  11. Blaze959 Doctor Bones

Thanks, but what about skipping port-forwarding and using Hamachi instead?
  12. Quantum Physics Piranha

You could to that too.
    I never realized how many options there were, I don't think many people like utilizing Hamachi however.
    Blaze959 likes this.
  13. Blaze959 Doctor Bones

Thank you, and I see Hamachi as an option for people who don't know/want to port-forward.
  14. Cauliflow Bunny

How do I check my server on the website, what do i do on website. :)
  15. håvard Green Slime

how do i find the ip