[IMPORTANT] Changing the ban system

Discussion in 'PC' started by kirabook, Oct 24, 2012.

?

In Favor of this change?

Aye 29 vote(s) 85.3%
Nay 2 vote(s) 5.9%
With a few changes 3 vote(s) 8.8%
  1. kirabook Ex-Min

Hello everyone, we have yet another small change we'd like to make for the forums involving bans.

Mind you, everything will remain the same when it comes to infractions. The change I speak of involves the number a times that someone gets banned.

The proposed idea is the usual, after 15 points, you get banned for a week.

If you get banned again after that, it will be increased from a week to 2 weeks.
    If you get banned after that, it will go from 2 weeks to 1 month.
    If you're banned once more after the 1 month ban, your next ban is a permaban.

In summary:

7 days
    14 days
    1 month
    Permaban

Originally, we started at 3 days, then 7 days, and so on, but someone in the Community Feedback Portal felt it should just start at 7 days.

We thought of this new system due to people repeatedly getting banned for 1 week over and just returning and doing their thing until they get another 1 week ban. We've thought of other types of systems and even tried some out, like a probation system where after too many bans, we would warn a user to discontinue their behavior or they would get a permaban.

I don't think this system worked very well and it was hard to keep track of and very informal. We've used it 3-4 times to date on very very sticky situations, and none of those situations were very easy. It personally made me a bit nervous using said system. What if the user wasn't banned as much as another person, but we decided to pull the plug anyway? What if we're completely wrong? Etc etc. (In the 3-4 times we actually used it, we were very sure on how many times the users were banned)

With this system, we can formalize the procedure. Not only will we have a better indication on where a user stands, the user will also know where they stand with us.

We really want to use this system to make it easier to document for us and for you. Again, the infraction system isn't changing, these are affecting only bans and the amount of bans 1 user has. Since we have no way of determining how many bans a user currently has (unless we documented it in discussion), this system would start now not including bans of the past unless you have indeed gotten one of the 3 or 4 messages of warning.
  2. Klapp Eyezor

Not much to say. I know of many forums which are less lenient than this - it should be rather difficult to accumulate this many points in the first place. What's good and important is that you are making an effort to keep the system structured - none of this "we ban you when we don't like you" crap. Three chances with TO's ruleset is more than fair, I think.

Question: How many unique users would you say you have repeated problems with of this scale?
  3. Razor Knight Mushi Ladybug

The system's still quite lenient, but this is a step in the right direction.

It will nullify a part of the "hit and run" technique many forumites use to have 'fun' in many forums out there.
  4. kirabook Ex-Min

Hm.... I think I can count the number of people that are still here and skate the rules in this fashion can be counted on two hands. But no matter how little people this will actually effect, I still feel better using it compared to other methods that aren't as clear and precise.

I remember a long time ago Rarity *and Geek I think* recommended that we reduce the amount of points for infractions anyway. Trolling might be 1 point, but 3 points is a ban and 5 points is a permaban. That's just an example, but it's been discussed before to make things more strict. Can't remember the exact reason why we didn't go with that though, it was such a long time ago.
  5. Oranje THE Orange Troll

I like this new system.
  6. Klapp Eyezor

I'm going to go ahead and guess a lack of admin support in implementing the idea, lolz.

No use in sugar coating "other methods". More effective to say that TO isn't OSBF - the method shown here is probably one of the best alternatives to what we had before. I'd be more than happy to show anyone who is dubious of this policy what exactly the "other side" results in. While I may find some of the rules here to be rather silly and unnecessary, TO has a structure that is easily cited and understood; an effort is being made that enforcement is not left entirely to the whim of the staff.
  7. kirabook Ex-Min

I wasn't really comparing us to OSBF, there are other forums that have other ways of doing things that aren't as clear too. *and said other forums have different software so things are different*. I was more referencing our other method we tried, which was the PPM "thin ice" thing I mentioned.
  8. Darkercloud Lava Slime

Don't mean to go off topic but what is OSBF?
  9. Klapp Eyezor

Haha, sorry, just picking out the obvious example. I don't like "thin ice" sorts of methods. While it can be more personal, it's also more easily abused.
  10. PowerCosmic Werewolf

What an awesome reason to change a policy. lol
    Mjcabooseblu likes this.
  11. kirabook Ex-Min

Well, we added in the 3 day thing on a whim anyway, to make a ban seem more like a time out for people to think about their actions and make the ban a bit less severe. But I suppose if you're getting 15 points so quickly, then 3 days probably won't deter you as much as 1 week could.
  12. PowerCosmic Werewolf

Right but.... changing a policy because "someone (who?) felt a certain way" is the most absurd thing I've heard this morning. Have no fears though, I read a lot of the crap posted on Reddit and GameFAQs, I'm sure this will be quickly outpaced.
  13. kirabook Ex-Min

It wasn't that I changed it right away because someone said so. I thought about it and since the number of points to get a 1 week ban isn't being reduced, why should the number of days of the ban be reduced? That was my line of thinking. But, if we reduced the amount of points it takes to get a ban to 10 points, then I think 3 days would be appropriate, and so on and so forth. But.... that might be a bit harsh.
  14. Lord Carver Possessed Armor

You can always just permaban people for questioning the almighty moderators like citric squid does. But other than that I don't see the point of changing the system.

Or was it talking about ponies? I don't have enough rum to remember.
    Space Sphere likes this.
  15. Yep, this should work. Although, I do question how any normal forum user would accumulate that many infraction points in the first place. Other than that, it should be a good way of keeping forum users and trolls in line ( Well, technically you can't actually keep a troll in line, you can just ban them and everything can be all happy on the internet again).
  16. Loki ISP Moderator

As mentioned, this is to deal with the hit and run folks....there aren't many, but they do exist...and to provide an a priori escalating set of consequences that folks know about ahead of time (vs the esoteric "points" that have no teeth).

Sometimes we all need a timeout...if we wind up needing one all the time, perhaps we need to find the exit. Pretty much that simple.

As klapp said, the structure is sometimes unwieldy...but we do try to make things as clear as we can (history has shown that loopholes can and will be found/used)...
  17. bob lyle Green Slime

FUCK TERRARIA ITS SHIT
    .......................................................................................... .........
    .......................................................................................... .........
    .................................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............. .........
    .........................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................................mmmmm.......... .........
    ...................mmmmmmmmmmm..........mmmmm...............mm................mmm......... .........
    .................mmmm............................................mm.............mmm....... .........
    ..............mmmm....m..mmmmmm............mmm..............mm......m............mmm...... .........
    ............mmmm.................................................mm....m..........mmm..... .........
    ...........mmm............mmmmm....................m..........mmm...m....m.........mmm.... .........
    ..........mm...........m.........................m................mm...m....m.......mmm... .........
    ..........mm.........m............m..................................m..m....m.......mm... .........
    ..........mm........m..................................................m..m...........mm.. .........
    .........mm..........................................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................mmm. .........
    ........mmm............mmmmmmmm...................mmmmm...mmmmmmmmmmmm.................mmm .........
    ....mmmm...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............mmmm......mmmmmmmm..mmm..................mmm .......
    ...mmm...mmmmm.mmm.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........mmm.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....m....mmmmmmmm.mm mm.....
    ..mm...m..................mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......mmmmmmmmm...........mm...m.................. mmm....
    .mm..m...mm.....................mmmm...........mmmmm......mmm..............mmmmmmmmmm..... ..mm...
    .mm.m..m...mmmmmm................mm.........................mmmm.......mmmmmm......mmmm... .m.mm..
    .mmm.....mmmmmmmmmm....m.........mm...........................mmmmmmmmmmm.....mm.....mmm.. .m..mmm
    .mmm.....m.......mmmmmmmm........mm...........................................mm......mm.. .m..mmm
    .mmm..m.......mm..mmmm........mmmm.........................................mmmmm.......mm. .m...mm
    .mm....m......mm...........mmmm................mmmmmmmm................mmmmm...mmmmmm..mm. .m...mm
    .mmmm...mm..mmmm..........mmmmm....................mm..............mmmmmm.....mmm.mmm.mmm. .m..mmm
    ..mm.mm.....mmmm.......mm..mmmmm.........mmmmmmm...mm..........mmmmmmm........mm......mm.. ....mmm
    ..mmm....m..mm.mmm...m........mmm..............m.mmm......mmmmmmmm.mm.......mmmm.....mm... m..mmm.
    ...mmm.....mmmmmmmmm............mmmmmm...............mmmmmmmm......mm....mmmmmm.........mm ..mm...
    ....mmm....mm.mm.mmmmmm...........mmm...........mmmmmmmm..........mmm.mmmmmmmm.......m.... .mmm...
    .....mm....mmmm..mm..mmmmmmmm........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..mm..........mmmmmmm..mmm..........mmm mm.....
    .....mm....mmmm..mm....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........mm......mmmmmmmm....mmm............mm m......
    .....mm....mmmm..mm...mmm.......mm.......mm..........mmm.mmmmmmmmm.mm...mmm...........mmm. .......
    .....mm....mmmmmmmm...mm........mm.......mm.........mmmmmmmmmmm....mm..mmm...........mmm.. .......
    .....mm....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......mmmmmm............mm... .......
    .....mm....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.mm...........mmm.............mmm... .......
    .....mm.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......mm.........mmm..............mmm.... .......
    .....mm.....mm.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.mm..........mmm.....mmmm...............mmm..... .......
    .....mm......mm.mm..mm...mm.....mmm........mm...........mm...mmmm...............mmm....... .......
    .....mm......mmmmmm.mmm...mm.....mm........mm............mmmmmm................mmm........ .......
    .....mm.......mmmm...mmm..mmm....mm........mm.........mmmmmm.......m.....m...mmm.......... .......
    .....mm.........mmmmmmmmm..mm....mmm.......mm..mmmmmmmmm........m.....mm...mmmm........... .......
    .....mm..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........mm....mm....mmmm ...............
    ....mmm........m..........................................m.....mm....mmmmm.. ..............
    ....mm..........m....................................mm......m.....mmmmm..... ..............
    ....mm............m..............................mm......mm.....mmmmm........ ..............
    ..mm.....mm........mmm...........mmmmmmmmmm......mm.......mmmmmm....... ............
    .mm.........m.........................mmm............mmmmm...... ........
    .mmm..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................mmmmm...... ....
    .mmm..........................................mmmmm...... ..
    ..mmm...................................mm.mmmmm.......
    ...mmmm............................mmmmmmmmmm........
    ....mmmmm...................mmmmmmmmm..............
    .......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................
    Infraction has been given for this message by Loki ISP. Details | Jan 25, 2013
  18. Loki ISP Moderator

Well good, you won't miss your account then.
  19. kirabook Ex-Min

*am I the only one who doesn't know what that image is?*
  20. NotMrBear Slimed Zombie

Looks like a face sticking its tongue out.