Merchant not appearing?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Drew's World, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Drew's World Green Slime

Alright, so I started a new character and world. I created a successful home, and the guide moved in. Yay. So then I collected 50 silver to get the Merchant. At about 45 silver, I created a second floor for the merchant, getting up by a wood platform. I then got lucky and found some pots, so I broke them and got a lot of silver. Then the next day, it said "Mortimer the Merchant has arrived!" So I waited. And waited. And waited. Wait. It's been 5 minutes and he hasn't appeared! If you want to see a screenshot of the second floor for the merchant, I will put it in. Ignore the 400 health, max mana, and necro armor, my friend did that.
    [IMG]
    So what is going wrong? It said he was arriving, but he hasn't. Any reason why?
  2. Classikly Frankenstein

Because you're so desperately waiting for him. Wait until the sun sets, then move AWAY from the house.
  3. Stackerzgame Dungeon Spirit

You waited 5 minutes... this bitch... waited 5.... minutes.

Save and quit, then he'll be there. Next time try to figure it out on your own before running here to ask.
  4. Classikly Frankenstein

W-wait. You waited FIVE MINUTES? Oh man, nevermind what I said. Fucking merchant's never gonna come.
  5. Razor Knight Mushi Ladybug

The Merchant doesn't want to deal with cheated characters!

Ahem, if that's not the cause, then...

Staying at the base waiting for an NPC to magically appear is a classic newbie mistake. First time I hear about someone giving up after only five minutes, though. Although honestly, impatience is a side-effect of having everything handed down to you, so it's not unexpected.

The solution is as simple as the cause, go explore or something that requires you to be away from your house for several (read: more than five) minutes, and the NPC will teleport him/herself into its assigned room while you're out there.
  6. BlueBoy Tim

Stay a good distance away and do other things while you wait like go spelunking. NPCs cannot move in at night or when you're right where they'll move in.
  7. Tunnel King Moderator

Actually, it's at night when they move in (as long as you are out of sight). They will only spawn (or re-spawn if killed) during the daytime. The same thing happens if they are already in a house and you try to move them to another; they pace anxiously at night until you move away for a bit.

Seems to me this has been answered, so perhaps a lock is in order?
  8. Classikly Frankenstein

Problem's that the OP hasn't been on since he posted this.