Pre 1.2 Mimic Farming during Blood Moon

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Shaun, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Shaun Dark Caster

Someone asked for a picture on how to spawn Mimic's during Blood moon, so here it is. (Please excuse the horrendous MSPaint skillz :p)

Picture of how to setup a base that spawns Mimic's during Blood Moons (and anytime you don't have NPC's).
    [IMG]

Pretty simple, Either build in the valley of 2 mountains, or dig deep and place your upper most entrance/exit 7-8 squares below the surface level (or simply build deep underground).
    Dart Traps are required to 'provoke' the mimic's to attack during non-blood moons (they are only aggressive when you get near them normally, but attack when shot).

Credits for the dart trap requirement go to JhonWayne23
  2. Hamchop Cursed Man

hmm, im gonna have to try this now, seems pretty interesting. does it work pretty well?
  3. Blue Lit Possessed Armor

but does this make them drop the loot like REAL mimics?
  4. Stalker1337poni Green Slime

It does, because they spawn naturally, not by statues.
  5. Shaun Dark Caster

It works extremely well, in the area of 20-30 Mimic's in a single night (with 2x Battle Potions, and each holding a couple candles).
    This was a multiplayer server we built this on (but I've done it on single player with same design).

The first blood moon on HM we both used a battle potion, and got like 4 of each mimic drop. I think we ended up vendoring 3-4 extra of Dual Hooks+Daggers+Star Cloaks+Compasses (each), but only 2 Necklaces dropped (enough at least) from a single Moon.

An equally effective design would be to jump down to the rock layer, and cut 3square horizontal holes (multiple = better).
    And either placing a house with a lava trap (any defensible location, preferably one you can just afk in with battle potions running :p)
  6. LostSoul Green Slime

I assume the lava pits and the safe hole in the middle is to automate killing them, while being in ranged to loot whatever drops?
  7. Shaun Dark Caster

Lava for auto killing yes. Also, the top of the tower serves a useful function as well. Pixies and (flying Slime thing i forgot name of) can fly through the inactive stone blocks (and get stuck next to the switches), and be shot with a range weapon (they try to fly up, and get stuck; so ez pickinz :p).
    Prob works better when the area isn't fully Hallowed due to the spawn being taken up by flyers; but eh.

They also drop among the highest amount of gold of any farmable creature (10g ea, plus 2-20g drops per).
    Can probably gross about 3-7 Plat in a single Blood money with these.
  8. Bobbert The Builder Yellow Slime

Holy crap, very nice guide. Just tryed it out on my server with my brother, made approx. 10 plat during 1 Blood Moon.
  9. Hamdrax Undead Viking

I like it both farming money and items im liking it
  10. Karda Green Slime

I'm having trouble getting them to spawn.
  11. Shaun Dark Caster

Karda, it has to be the natural dirt walls; not the player made and applied ones. You can tell the difference if you use a hammer on them and they give you dirt walls back (game generated ones don't).
    You also need a dart trap shooting down the straightaway every now and then to provoke them.
    These do require hard mode.

If none of those are applicable, then the tunnels might not be long enough (need to go at least a full screen away from your vision, and no light sources i think).
  12. MiniManolinho Bone Serpent

This is pretty awesome. I might try this eventually. Thanks, friend.
  13. Hersh Kataria Squirrel

So do you have to stand away from the area in order for the mimics to spawn? And will this work when there's not a bloodmoon (I know that the chance of it spawning will be less though)
  14. Bobbert The Builder Yellow Slime

To Shaun: Light sources do not matter in Terraria, an area could be completely lit up and still have things spawn, so... torch it up :p
  15. Karda Green Slime

Thanks for the help, but that wasn't it. I needed to either wait forever, or use a battle potion with my water candle. I just wasn't patient enough. I found a perfect pit for my location so it was all natural, there was no light, and I had a dart trap set up. Sorry for my stupidity and impatience.
  16. Shaun Dark Caster

Enemies also do seem to spawn upwards of 2 screens width away, so longer tunnels are probably better (and dart towers have no max range as far as i can tell).
  17. Yes. correct me if I'm wrong but I think the best longest distance they can spawn in is 100 tiles away. (roughly)
    It was the technique I used to ensure the safety of my NPCs during an invasion. :D
    Also, That looks like a very cool trap! The only protection Is wooden platforms next to my outgoing doors and an enormous moat/cliff
    I like the added danger of clowns still being able to spawn on my roof. (Yes that HAS happpend) ;D
  18. Shaun Dark Caster

100 sounds about the same as my estimation of 2 screens (windowed at max resolution).
    It is a fairly automated design, there is a roof hatch (active stone blocks), that I use for farming pixies and killing the gastropods. If you leave a small opening with a 1 square higher hole inside (like top of my tower), the fliers bottleneck themselves there and can't get out. Can either use a sword and constant swing there, or just shoot them from bottom of tower (WTB Ceiling pressure plates :p)
  19. Dark_Reaper115 Doctor Bones

Really nice Mimic farming :D
    I would use it...but I had never trouble finding Mimics....
    They like to find me :3
    Gummybug12 likes this.
  20. Shaun Dark Caster

Its quite a bit of legit money to :p