Mining techniques?

Discussion in 'PC' started by -Ice, Jan 5, 2013.

1. -Ice Green Slime

Playing Terraria with my son and just wondering how other people are doing their mining... do you dig shafts straight down? Do you mostly follow natural caverns and passages?

My OCD is itching to map out the entire underground with perfectly aligned passages and maybe just leaving a 2-3 tile "gap" between passages and doing this on both left- and right-sides all the way as far as it can go, that way I make sure we don't miss a pocket of gems or ores anywhere... but obviously this will take AGES!!

Suggestions?
  2. Mythril Guy Voodoo Demon

You just need to go in a way you feel best. It does not really matter how you do it as long as you see efficiency doing it.

But if you want some advice, dig straight down until you find a cave or search the surface for caves. Then search the caves for copper, iron, silver, and gold then if the cave ends dig straight down until you find another.
  3. -Ice Green Slime

That's the point. We're new at this so we don't really know what is "best." I'd go for mining in an "organized" manner and end up with a "dungeon" underneath my town, but this would obviously take very long and might not be very productive.

I've been hearing a bit about "Hardmode" and so far we've not even beat any bosses yet. I wonder if it is worth getting into Hardmode sooner rather than later? Reading the wiki page on Hardmode, it seems that it opens a whole different can of worms, but I wonder if it's worth it for the cobalt/mythril/adamantite ores? Or would we be better off just milking normal mode until we're all geared up properly?
  4. Space Sphere Fire Imp

You can't get into hard mode without killing the strongest non-Hardmode boss. It also alters your actual world biomes slightly (I'm trying not to spoil much, long story short a particular biome actually begins to SPREAD) and makes far stronger versions of almost all enemies. You should out Hardmode off as long as possible, until you are 100% prepared.
    Also, hard mode ores can only be mined with the strongest normal pick (which can only mine cobalt, then you need a cobalt drill, yes drill, to mine mithril, and the a mithril drill to mine adamantite) and most people will die plenty of times from the sudden difficulty spike even if they DO have the best possible gear.

Sorry if that was a little disjointed.

On the subject of mining, unlike Minecraft you don't particularly need a thorough way to mine. Mythril Guy's mining technique is often used. Follow caves as much as possible, then dig down. However, the general method for finding Hardmode ores is to either A. Search underground in the jungle biome, which doesn't get much harder, or to search the underside of the bottom of the map. I'm being quite vague here because I'm not sure what you do and don't know and do and don't want spoiled.
  5. -Ice Green Slime

Lol, like I said I read the wiki entry on Hardmode so I have a small idea about those biomes thing you're talking about. But I'll hold off going Hardmode then, thanks!

I've never really played Minecraft so not much to compare to, but Terraria has managed to hook me in when Minecraft has failed twice, so I guess that's a good thing.

Regarding mining, it's just that we'd follow caves/caverns, then just decide to dig randomly in some horizontal direction then after about 20 tiles, we'd find some interesting things that, after digging more, aren't really near any other "spaces" underground. So now I'm just thinking about all those gems and ores that we're missing since they're hidden in the dark, away from caves and caverns....

But even if I do decide to make a systematic search through the underground, should I do it relatively close to the surface or will I have better odds the deeper I go? In our current world, we just found a cavern with lava so I guess we're pretty close to the bottom...
  6. Razor Knight Mushi Ladybug

I dug randomly when I started playing, but nowadays, I dig horizontal tunnels which are three blocks high, separated by a one-block "platform" and with wooden platforms every fifty blocks, and torches every ten blocks.

I don't build Hellevators anymore, I build dungeons.

Although it's not like I need the materials, I'm just digging for fun.
  7. Star and Moon Blood Crawler

I just mine in whichever direction I feel like, which is often following natural caves.