Mounts!

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by FightForUs, Aug 30, 2011.

?

Would you like to see mounts in Terraria?

Yes! Who doesn't want to ride around the Terrarian worlds! 13 vote(s) 81.3%
No! Keep it to the good ol' footwork! 3 vote(s) 18.8%
  1. FightForUs Green Slime

Mounts. Mounts, mounts, mounts! If it's one thing I've always been obsessed with in games, it's been mounts. So, as the title suggests, this topic will be about mounts! Do you think they should be in the game? Do you think they will be added in the future? Do you have ideas on how this idea would work? If you do, then please, use this thread to your mount needs!

So far myself, I have had some ideas on how this would work on Terraria. One of my ideas is that there would be a NPC that deals mounts, or has the necessities to allow you to tame one. Another idea I've come up with is a whip. A whip? For taming, of course! Now, with taming would come riding. We'd need a saddle, so we would't hurt our butt! Now that we have the whip and saddle out of the way, here's the big question: what would we ride? That, I am having a tough time thinking of. So far I've come up with generic things like horses, elephants, oxen, cows, ect. I'd love to see amazing ideas not only for how it'd work, but for what we'd ride, also!

TL;DR: Mounts. Ideas please! Sprites are very welcome too.

If anyone else has made a megathread about mounts, please notify me.

Suggestions:
    (Credit to Marioface5)
    Dolphin: Can swim in water, can't move on land. The player's breath gauge will behave as normal. Holding down the left mouse button causes the dolphin to move faster.

Lion: Can jump far. Clicking causes the lion to do a swipe attack.

Ostrich: Flying mount. Clicking has the player attack with a lance. Mount is a reference to the classic game Joust. (Oh how my cousin and I used to love that game.)

Raptor: Very fast mount. Clicking activates a leaping attack.

Frog: Can jump high. Clicking sends out the frog's tongue, which can grab items.

Gecko: Can walk on walls(not the background walls, but ones made out of blocks)/ceilings. Clicking lets go of the surface.
  2. Xylord Green Slime

You don't need a whip to mount animals. Don't argue or I call the PETA.
  3. FightForUs Green Slime

Sorry, I was going with the whole 'taming theme' there. You're more than welcome to suggest changes, though! Oh crud, PETA. Them and their mount preventing activities! Darn you, PETA!
  4. Xylord Green Slime

Lol, I imagine it will be easier to make a saddle for a cow than for an elephant, right? different recipes and all.
  5. FightForUs Green Slime

I'd assume so, lol. Perhaps less materials to make one for smaller creatures, and more for larger.
  6. Merch Green Slime

I love mounts too, especially on WoW so if this had mounts I would be happy! Great suggestion
  7. FightForUs Green Slime

Great to see another mount lover :D! Let's see if we can keep this thread rolling!
  8. Risu Squirrel

As a reformed Warcraft-addict with about 120 mounts in-game, I heartily support this idea. Partially for the vanity (wheee! I have a horsie/tiger/griffon/etc!), but also for the ease of transportation around the map. I built my "home" world on a Small map so I wouldn't have to go too far to get to anything, but I would LOVE to re-construct and expand it on a Large world if it weren't so time-consuming to get from point A to B. Heck, my hubby and I bounced around the idea of submitting the idea for mine carts until I checked the forums and found that we'd been beaten to it by a month or so, so it's nice to see that we're not the only ones who'd like to traverse the terrain with a bit more rapidity!

Now, I must state that I do enjoy the beginning "difficulty" in walking everywhere; I started playing WoW in its first six months online, so I remember how long it took to run around, and I still recall that feeling of absolute delight and achievement when I purchased my first riding mount and could go so much faster. Even so, it would be nice to have the option to get about more quickly, especially since you can only set one spawn point at a time. As a n00b-coder, though, I do understand how difficult it can be to get new rules and elements into an existing archetype. Figuring out terrain and sprite collisions, for one thing, can be a gigantic pain in the arse, as well as how it will be treated; an item, a spell, an NPC, etc. There's also the question of how they would be obtained, as asked in a previous post: tamed or purchased? In a game like this, I could easily see the devs being clever and amusing by giving us the chance to craft some mounts as well. Who wants to build a motorbike? I know that I would. :)

However!! I must humbly request that if mounts are ever integrated that the devs please please PLEASE code in the ostrich-mounts from the old Joust! game. If you are old enough to remember this awesome game, please second this idea! If you're too young to get it, well, you have my sympathy. :p
    FightForUs likes this.
  9. Marioface5 Green Slime

I would love for mounts to be in the game! There should be a large variety of them, each with different stats and abilities. They could go in the normal item reel (the way other items, like swords, are used) and you could click to activate a special ability. Some would also have limitations. Damage would be dealt to the player as normal, including fall damage. Mounts themselves would not take damage. Here are some basic ideas:

Dolphin: Can swim in water, can't move on land. The player's breath gauge will behave as normal. Holding down the left mouse button causes the dolphin to move faster.

Lion: Can jump far. Clicking causes the lion to do a swipe attack.

Ostrich: Flying mount. Clicking has the player attack with a lance. Mount is a reference to the classic game Joust. (Oh how my cousin and I used to love that game.)

Raptor: Very fast mount. Clicking activates a leaping attack.

Frog: Can jump high. Clicking sends out the frog's tongue, which can grab items.

Gecko: Can walk on walls(not the background walls, but ones made out of blocks)/ceilings. Clicking lets go of the surface.

Those are all I can think of so far. I think the addition of mounts could benefit from an even bigger map type, maybe about twice as big as the current Large map is. That might sound a bit crazy, but I think it could work quite nicely if we had a nice new transportation method.
  10. Browneyed Gamer Green Slime

epic, flying mounts?
    perhaps a huge bird (queen harpy? boss battle for sure, at least 2000 health) you kill to get an egg, then you go to a furnace and cook (or incubate) for 5 terraia days
    then you take out a baby bird place the bird down and then you wait another 5 days waiting for it to get bigger
    then tame

this would be the best mount in the game
    stats:
    5x speed on land
    10x speed in the air
    200 damage attack (bite/peck) by clicking the left mouse button
    space to jump
    rapid fire space to fly (sort of double jump or something but up to 50 jumps before you have to regain your birds stamina)
    50 stamina (1 stamina per "jump" flying- 2 stamina per step running)
    to regain stamina right click to "sit" and you get 10 stamina every 5 seconds
    cannot go underground (once under level 0 dismounted)
    any other ideas? i think this is a good start
  11. FightForUs Green Slime

Thank you!
  12. FightForUs Green Slime

Yes, I quoted a half-wall of text, shoot me. Anyway, glad to see another mount lover! As for your points, all of them prove valid. This in a sense could take the devs a while if it were considered, and would very well be a pain in the arse(unless they're into this, then by all means more power to them). Also, I just about cried from the nostalgia of Joust! when you mentioned it!
  13. Rokuzo Snow Flinx

Sounds like a terrible concept for this game, in my opinion.

I just can't see them working with the character sprites.
    INTJ9, FightForUs and zeta39reticuli like this.
  14. FightForUs Green Slime

Hm..That indeed would be a tough thing to get working. Thank you for your opinion.
  15. INTJ9 Green Slime

I agree with Rokuzo. I mean, I see the excitement with mounts, I too felt the thrill of the mount in the WoW. In this case though, it just seems too redundant and also too much work for so little. I have a large world in Terraria and I can reach the edge in about a day. If the world were a lot bigger, it would make more sense, but even then, the amount of work they would have to put into creating these mount would seem like too much in the big picture. There are a lot more things that they could do to make the game better, increase the progression, or make the game more fluid than creating mounts. If I had a mount, I could see myself playing with it for about half an hour and then going, that's nice, and then dropping it. If you want more speed or mobility, they could just as easily make an item to make you go faster and then call it good, and on top of that it would be less cumbersome.