PC Moving Forward

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Redigit, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redigit

Redigit Developer Staff Member

Progression has been pretty slow over the last week. I've actually been in the middle of moving. I put an offer on a house before the first trailer went public, and got the keys to it the day before Terraria was released. (Great timing, huh?)

I just finally got my workspace set up at the new place, so I should be able to get back to the grind early next week. But enough about that, let's talk about the future of Terraria.

My immediate focus for the game will be patching up the remaining bugs, implementing Steam features, and of course working on multiplayer to make it more secure and accessible. Multiplayer is a bit of a mess right now, and a dedicated server with no graphics card requirements is very much needed. Content progression will be slow for the next few weeks until we get all of the necessities taken care of. Though, we will be adding a few new things here and there to keep you interested.

In the long term, we will not just be adding content, but new mechanics as well. Some of the ideas the we have been playing around with are:
    • Pure PvP servers with team based objectives. Worlds will be generated before every match. Imagine a CTF server where towers are automatically created on either side of the map. Players can fight it out on the surface, or try to tunnel into the other tower.
    • Adding sloped/inclined tiles to make the world smoother.
    • New harder world types to continue game progression (Ex: Alien plants, alternate dimensions, evil worlds, etc.)
    • Enemy factions that will move into your world, and build their own city. You can slaughter them while they are weak, or let them build up their strength to get better rewards.
    • More events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, more/improved invasions, etc..
    • Weather: Seasons, snow, floods, etc..
    • Farming, and stamina system that gives a bonus to player stats.
    • Mechanics for making traps and devices.
    Terraria has endless possibilities, and there is still a lot more that we want to do with it. In the meantime, please be patient while we get the last few kinks worked out.

2. Owl

Owl World Feeder

I love you. Please try to implement higher tier worlds first. As that will give players something to do in the meanwhile.

3. Kane

Kane Administrator Staff Member

Very nice and wonderful post. I can't wait for the future of Terraria!

4. chibibuu09

chibibuu09 Green Slime

sounds awesome! keep up the good work!

Harkon and polar7rulz like this.
  5. lucas de aguiar

lucas de aguiar Green Slime

awesome

polar7rulz likes this.
  6. Squiddapult

Squiddapult Cave Bat

i just dont know what to say...just...im just glas to have this game :D

polar7rulz and whodisz like this.
  7. Soneclipse

Soneclipse Green Slime

I am so in love with you right now.

polar7rulz likes this.
  8. Nivekolas

Nivekolas Green Slime

My stomach is filled with happiness and anticipation, the words have flowed into my head and I shall cherish them.

Harkon and Chibi like this.
  9. Keirndmo

Keirndmo Dark Caster

yay aliens now i know where the space gun is from thank you redigit.

Harkon likes this.
  10. Magno313

Magno313 Green Slime

AWESOME!
    cant wait!!!!!

11. Sauccy

Sauccy Green Slime

Woah nice! Your ideas are perfect made me giggle a bit inside

12. Tybirion

Tybirion Blazing Wheel

OKAY, First, I LOVE YOU. Second....I don't wanna look like a smart-*** but I found a spelling mistake. Sorry, I just had to point it out due to my OCD. Darn you Minecraft!
    Are should be and.

13. Voltar

Voltar Squirrel

Wooohoooo, more furniture and enemy types etc. too please
    There are so much talented persons with so good ideas in this forum. Try to respect their hard work when it fits into the world of Terraria.

14. Nagol

Nagol Demon Eye

Sounds awesome. Terraria as it is, is just amazing, pretty much plowed it's way to the top of my list as probably my favorite game ever already. Looking forward to the bug fixes that hopefully remedy whatever is stopping me from playing co-op with a buddy. Everything else you add to the game is just a sweet sweet bonus.

Thanks for the great game, don't work too hard and don't let the impatient people get you down.

Silent Attack, lorki3 and Soneclipse like this.
  15. Fixed_Emo

Fixed_Emo Green Slime

sounds absolutely amzing. i hope you do these soon

polar7rulz likes this.
  16. SFJake

SFJake Cursed Skull

What the hell.

Redigit's post sound epic.

I'm not kidding.

Just press the like button and be happy.

Nothing else to say.

xland44 likes this.
  17. Kane Slavuta

Kane Slavuta Green Slime

omg... im really looking forward to all these promised ideas!

polar7rulz likes this.
  18. Doom101

Doom101 Demon Eye

:confused: enemy factions moving in? TO MY WORLD?! i don't think so! grab your swords and fight the horde!

Danyelle, Conner and Kevlamin like this.
  19. Mace

Mace Green Slime

Congrats on the moving. Also, the concept of enemy factions sounds SO exhilarating to me. Take your time, though.

MisterPurkki likes this.
  20. BrokenDecoy

BrokenDecoy Squirrel

Can't wait for those lovely servers =] And new items for me to find are always nice :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.