PC My Fellow Terrarians (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Redigit, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redigit Developer

I posted this on the other thread, but I wanted repost it here to make sure everyone can see it.

- Promised updates -

For the majority of the game's development, I was more or less just using the game as a testing ground to play with different ideas and learn C#/XNA. That said, Terraria was released way before it's time. Between the immense social pressure and the leak, I didn't really have much choice but to play the hand I was drawn and release it as is. Obviously I was going to keep working on the game until it got to the point where I was happy with it.

Looking at all the different paths I could take the game right now, nothing really excites me. It all feels like sideways progression. That's why I know it's time to take what I've learned and start working on it's successor. I imagine you might make the claim that I "got bored and quit," but really without the excitement/obsession/drive, can you really expect future updates to be anything better than the status quo? Now looking down the road toward Terraria's successor, that's what is exciting me. It was never my intention to mislead anyone, and I am sorry if I did.

- Stopped updating out of the blue -

There really is no other way to say "no more updates" without saying "no more updates." After losing my spriter to a potentially competing game, and having to take some time off for my own personal reasons I figured the most honest way would be to just get it out now then taking several months off and then come back to announce that I am working on another game.

- Open source the game -

This will probably happen eventually, but the decision to not obfuscate Terraria was made for a reason...;)

- Handing off -

This isn't going to happen, though I'd love for a dedicated group of modders to pick up the torch and carry on. For one, things can get complicated very quickly in the legal world. I also feel that Terraria is pretty solid as it is, and I am not sure that I would like the direction that it would take if I wasn't the one to work on it. After the following of SMBX and Terraria, you have to give my design choices some credit. :p Now for my handling of the community on the other hand...

- Bad at PR -

This I agree with. Dealing with people has never been my strong suit. I've been told several times that I should have hired a profession PR guy, but that really is just putting someone between you and me that does little more than candy coat things to make them sound better. (I probably should have done it anyway)

I think I really just got off to a bad start after the Nintendo/SMBX thing and the game getting leaked in beta. I got a lot more defensive than I should have been, and refused to share information about things until they were set in stone. But I guess if I didn't do that then there would have been a lot more "promises" not being kept. I'm probably being overly honest here, but there have been some pretty nasty things posted on TO, and I've learned that the best way to not let them get to me is to distance myself from the forums. (I am a human after all!:eek:)

I failed with this, and I am sorry because you all really did deserve better from me.

- Greedy -

Money does complicate things doesn't it? Like I said in an interview before, this isn't really a business to me. Yes I've made a good amount of money and have a lot of customers, but I just want to make the best game I can. Simple as that. If I really wanted to milk it I would have release 1.1 as DLC and there would be all sorts of pets and mounts that you could buy for several bucks a shot. Is that going to help to make the game better?

I receive very little from the shirts and CE (I'm even wondering how it's possible for developers to survive the retail world in the first place) Those were all about getting cool Terraria things in the real world.

- Quit SMBX just Terraria -

SMBX just like Terraria was something I did to learn and experiment with gameplay. At some point you have to call a project finished so you can take what you've learned and move on to make something even better. I made no promises with SMBX and made it clear that it was something that I work on in my own time. If I was still working on it right now, there would be no Terraria.

As for the Nintendo fiasco.. I'm sure there is a Nintendo PR guy somewhere with a huge grin on his face knowing that SMBX was shutdown and Nintendo took none of the blame for it.
  2. Kane Administrator

I just want to say and this is my personal opinion. I got Terraria for $10, A movie these days with a frigan popcorn costs me $20.. I got my money worth and of course I want more and never don't want less, but in my heart I know that Redigit has put in more effort then 90% of other GAMING COMPANIES out there, and HE IS JUST A SINGLE INDIE DEVELOPER!

He could have been greedy and had a half a dozen DLC's... But guess what? Nope free content and more and more free content. He could have prevented modding and guess what? He broke in for the love of the community and allowed us to mod the game.

So all I can say is thanks Redigit for an amazing game and it has been a pleasure working with you and I really hope I get the opportunity to work with you again in the future on new projects.

Also a reminder Terraria Online will not be going anywhere. We will still be posting features and encourage players to try out modding and if not at least trying out some of the wonderful mods out there.

P.S. Congratulations Redigit on your 4 day old son!
  3. Bobrocket WANTS TO PUNCH STUFF

I'll just copy/paste my post in here.

So, Redigit. Which person IS telling the truth?
    Battle Kid, Takatalvi, HkNun and 4 others like this.
  4. Paranσid [Insert Title Here]

Terraria was one of my favorite games, up with Morrowind...Warcraft 3...
    Morrowind was the best from Bethesda for me.
    Warcraft 3 was the best from Blizzard, it created the foundations of Dota, therefore Dota 2, HoN, etc.

Now, one thing I really hope is that Terraria is not the best from Re-Logic.
    Because that new game would be one great game, now wouldn't it?

Does it matter?
    I sincerely see no reason to ask this question.
    I mean, does it really matter why or how SMBX ended?
    Without it ending Terraria wouldn't have been, Redigit even said that in the post above you!

Natrilis, Battle Kid, NeonJ and 2 others like this.
  5. Klokinator Raincoat Zombie

Copypaste here~~

There have been probably hundred of opinions expressed on this subject alone, and I did want to believe this was the truth but due to your silence on the matter, I figured it wasn't.

If you want my opinion, hire a spriter just for a little bit, work out the kinks, fix multiplayer and uh, well that'd be enough, honestly. That's what bugged me the most, dropping the project when there are plenty of options financially and legitimate issues in it. I mean, unless $500,000 doesn't do as much as it used to :p

Next time, use more clear language and try and include at least "I'm sorry" in the post where you drop it out of the blue. Kk? K. I forgive you.

Also, if, you know, the other game is supposedly a competing game, why the hell would you advertise it in your cancellation thread? Something smells fishy here... I recommend clearing that up before more rumors start.

Ho ho, one issue resolved at the least!

And I apologize for saying many of those nasty things. I felt as if you took my money, slapped me in the face, and grinned at me on the way out. I still feel ever slightly annoyed, but I'm not mad anymore.

Best sentence ever written, humility will take you far, friend :D

Good good, any truth to the rumors about a leaked chat where you said all you cared about was money?

My point wasn't quitting work on SMBX as a bad thing (I could care less, never even used the damn thing) but as there are rumors that you faked the whole thing, it seemed awfully suspicious when compared to the sudden cancellation of Terraria.

I don't 100% like you and back you, (Maybe only 80 or 90% now :p) but I respect you for this humble post and I forgive you.
  6. Klokinator Raincoat Zombie

Oh, what about removing free content updates from the Steam Store description?
  7. iNfiniTe Se7eNz Official Terraria Online Post Whore

Good idea... it's highly misleading at this point.
    blumchen likes this.
  8. Bobrocket WANTS TO PUNCH STUFF

Yes, but he 'faked' the call from Nintendo instead of manning it up. Which is saying 'hurr durr I'd rather lie to my own community than tell the truth so I will fake some copyright shizz'
    Lord Carver likes this.
  9. Garneac IndieGamers.com. Go there.

Redigit said he'll be talking to Steam following the final patch.
    Jokeman8454 and jaxter0987 like this.
  10. CALLS Green Slime

Good on ya Red, if people don't understand this by now they never will see past their fanboyism to respect what you have started as an individual.
  11. Amatsu Green Slime

I will not be purchasing any future products produced by Re-Logic, or the company Tiy is with now either. As far as I'm concerned, Red there has executed a scam. I've already put in a demand for a refund, as the game currently is being misadvertised.
  12. Klokinator Raincoat Zombie

SMBX was a free game, there were intense angry fans, leaving normally may not have been the easiest move, so I wouldn't blame him for faking it if he did, and there's no proof one way or another.

As long as he explained about why the whole Terraria cancellation thing, SMBX matters little to me.
    NeonJ, Dragan, Leevi and 2 others like this.
  13. Garneac IndieGamers.com. Go there.

I -- I don't even...

You have no proof. Nada. Zilch. Don't take hearsay as fact, however tempting it might sound. That's the lesson a lot of us have just painfully (but happily) learned.

Let Triforce offer up substantial evidence. And then let Redigit have a chance to refute said evidence.
    Battle Kid, jaxter0987, NeonJ and 2 others like this.
  14. Paranσid [Insert Title Here]

What I was about to say pretty much.
    I33y likes this.
  15. Klokinator Raincoat Zombie

Come on man. Come on. I was the biggest driver for the so called refund movement, and I'm fine now.

Not happy since I bought my game after 1.1 and there were no more content updates (Part of why I only back him 80 or 90% :p) but I'm fine with it. Please, get over it.
    NeonJ, CProcter, Kelaria and 5 others like this.
  16. iNfiniTe Se7eNz Official Terraria Online Post Whore

C-C-C-Combo breaker....
    And it was going so well....
    Face it, the idea of getting scammed is bullshit, for reasons explained over and over.
  17. Blu Moderator

hopefully we don't get another 2000 comments worth of arguing and mud slinging over assumptions and vague wording. I am deeply ashamed and embarrassed at how low this community sank overnight. This address was much needed, and hopefully now everyone can dust themselves off, and move on.

yeah good luck with that.
    Raddion, Battle Kid, Rodundra and 7 others like this.
  18. k0rd Fire Imp

as usual, you are talking out of your ass.
    nintendo *AGGRESSIVELY* defends its intellectual property. if he says he got a call - who are you to say he's lying?

why don't you resurrect your (lol) project instead of spreading rumors?
  19. jaxter0987 Cursed Skull

Where's a downvote button when you need it?
    Nard, TehDarkNoob, Silvergod and 28 others like this.
  20. Klokinator Raincoat Zombie

I will anyway, though my fiery rhetoric from that one thread may not have worn off yet for the late arrivers xD
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.