New Content Trailer Released

Discussion in 'Console' started by 505Games, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Blu Moderator

I risked watching this at work because you guys have never ceased to impress with the teasers. I can't wait to see what the final boss will be.

You guys are doing a fantastic job on this, keep up the good work. Your PR department should get an award.
    ahamling27 and 505Games like this.
  2. kirabook ModMin

Too bad I can't play. XD It looks pretty fun.
  3. ranman Squirrel

i believe the thread was started and that question was asked was..."what are you excited for?...not what can you complain about.
    if you dont like the additions and you arent excited at the thought of new content and new audience for a great game...why are you here?
    either you are butthurt for only getting a year of free content for a $10 or less game or your just a troll
  4. W1K RNG fanboy

No I'm just giving a gogdamn opinion. Why a modder should complain about not being able to get new contents. Terraria is the best game I ever brought and never gonna say otherwise. Also I'm here as a member of the community, not as a guy hyped about a "fuckyou" port basically approved for just money reasons, guess what, I don't really care. I'm just giving an opinion on the new contents seen so far.
  5. ranman Squirrel

blumchen and PowerCosmic like this.
  6. Dragonized Illuminant Slime

505 Games showed Redigit that Terraria can continue to grow.

It's a shame that we had to wait over a year.
  7. kirabook ModMin

Please calm down. :/

Some things being recolors is a reasonable complain, but W1k is not making a big deal a about it.

I'd rather this thread not turn into YET ANOTHER silly flame war. Everyone is interested in the new content, for better or for worse, nothing wrong with discussing it in a CIVIL manner.

In case some people need a definition:

Definition of CIVIL:
    4. Of or in accordance with organized society; civilized.
    5. Sufficiently observing or befitting accepted social usages; not rude: a civil reply. See Synonyms at polite.

Definition of COMPLAINT:
    1. An expression of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.
    2. A cause or reason for complaining; a grievance.

Definition of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM:
    process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one.

Definition of PRAISE:
    act of making positive statements about a person, object or idea, either in public or privately. Praise is typically, but not exclusively, earned relative to achievement and accomplishment. Praise is often contrasted with criticism, where the latter is held to mean exclusively negative statements made about something, although this is not technically correct

Definition of TROLLING:
    A troll is a mythological creature.

Definition of WHITE KNIGHT:
    [IMG]
  8. W1K RNG fanboy

I realize but that doesn't change my opinion on the contents, as that was the only thing I was doing. Plus I know Red is considering to start working on Terraria again after the success of the port, that is indeed a good thing, as long as no one actually puts into an official patch contents that suck in comparison to what the modding section can do.

EDIT: I also pointed out recolors can be a pain to see on an actual "official patch", but as long as they are scripted as decently original items, the sprite's quality part can be slightly ignored.
  9. Yoraiz0r The Wizard

Let me correct you , would PROBABLY. (needs bigger text , not emphasized enough)
    redigit promises nothing , we've been "scammed" a few times before so don't get people's expectations up , be careful with your words! :D

Modders have done a splendid job over the course of the last year in showing redigit terraria can continue to grow quite massively , there's a bunch of mods out there that increase the flavors of terraria.

My opinion relies with W1k's , the recolors are rather depressing from my speculation.
    A red arrow with blue flames shouldn't make the enemy go on green fire. (look at the second armor set with the bow)

Most of what was shown in the content trailer can be made by a single modder (potentially not even a serious coder) within a day at most.

Not that I'd like to complain much , all-in-all it makes the work of adding it easier :p
    Dark and Light and W1K like this.
  10. Loki ISP Moderator

W1k is entitled to his opinion just like anyone else. Do not question that right nor attack the person moving forward. I'd say the same if the roles were reversed.

EDIT: stupid ninja Kira. ;)

As a modder, W1k likely has a different perspective - and standards to "content" than the rest of us. I actually find that interesting. Now, that doesn't mean I change my excitement, but you cannot look at, say, the mod that won the holiday contest hardcore mode and the new content shown thus far and even put them in the same league. Maybe one day the console will get similar stuff maybe not.

Now, as to expectations. This is a port. Not a mod, not Terraria 2. It is primarily designed to expand the audience of Terraria players. The new content is really just gravy, IMHO. Now, for us PC users, the gravy is more important than it is for folks new to the entire experience.

I do think this port has energized Red - as I hoped and somewhat predicted early on. If it leads to new development, we need a 505 statue around here.

My hope is that someday the amazing mod content that exists around here will be licensed/pulled into the vanilla game....but I'm probably dreaming. :p
    NeyoPRO, deend and W1K like this.
  11. GrinnTech Mouse

SWEET
    1313504952751.gif
    MOTHER OF GOD
    DAT BOSS
    505Games likes this.
  12. bamseper Cursed Skull

Well, most enemies do seem like recolors... but the trailer is very beautiful and I can't wait to see the new final boss.
    505Games likes this.
  13. deend Lava Slime

All i want is more stuff to build with...
  14. Dragonized Illuminant Slime

My only guess as to the major simple recolors of items and mobs is due to the fact 505 Games was much more focused in redesigning the game for consoles, and adding new features. They were perhaps rushing a bit, so recoloring stuff would fasten it up a little.We can only hope post release will contain many more new sprites.
    Audax and ahamling27 like this.
  15. deend Lava Slime

Yeah! recolored blocks :)
  16. violentpurge09 Slimed Zombie

looking forward to nothing about this.
    "new content" blah blah blah... shoulda just have done updates for the PC version.
    "World Map" that's actually pisses me off.
    MrBoroda likes this.
  17. W1K RNG fanboy

I guess my third post did sound a bit aggressive. Whatever.

I see the point where modders (or people who usually play mods) and people out of such a range can have pretty different ideas.
    I as a modder do have certain "standards", as regardless if they are mods or actual patches, they are still new contents. to make things easier I'm pretending the new contents in the port to be a "patch", just to explain things properly.

There is no way we can say the new patch does not include interesting contents, from interesting features (the map as an example, the splitscreen even if it will probably never get to a PC either way, the controller support and so on) to the interesting new contents (the boss which I'm seriously curious to know what it is all about, to the new range or armors, which regardless if they are recolors or not, they generally always have a purpose to favor a certain gameplay style, always hoping they are not bullshits like the multi-helm armors that is, which I never really liked).

The main point is, we modders (saying, me and Yorai for the most I guess) will always compare the "new contents" to actual mods works regardless. We pretty much know to which extend Terraria can be pushed to, Yorai on the features side (being probably one of the best modders around) and me on the contents side (having wasted really a creepy amount of time mostly on contents rebalance, both with new contents and edited old ones). We know what kind of crazy weapons you can make and what kind of graphic they can have, so that can probably make us a bit too "criticizing" on that (I always tell everyone hardmode balance sucks and waste totally too much time calculating each weapon's damage per second), but that's definitelly not in a sort of hate or anything.

What I'm hoping to see with the new contents are pretty much all the holes Hardmode left behind filled with actual new contents and features.
    We all know hardmode left a lot behind about balance (seriously, we all know the multi-helm shit ruined completely the actual "use the armor fitting your playstyle" logic), also being a fanatic AI coder, I'm seriously hella curious to see what the new boss will be about, even if by the pic, it seems like another sort of "floating" boss. Having some boss that actually collides with tiles or "walks" would have been awesome, but we know it would be one hell of a job to balance.

About the new armors, I hope they will aim to give a range of different bonuses in comparison to the plain old "get the best bonuses from your armor with the hallowed set", which seriously, it was plain boring after seeing how pre-hardmode armors did so nicely work with each others on a balance side. About weapons, I hope to not see the plain old "get the best tier sword" weapons, but instead some interesting concept ones. Having an actual "hardmode Muramasa" and an "hardmode Fiery Greatsword", being the fastest and the strongest pre-hardmode swords would already be an idea as that gives the player different choices for their play style as long as they are both equally balanced. Having some crazy original shits like, as an example, a sword that actually shoots magic waves or something similiar would be nice too, something comparable to weapons like the pre-hardmode Starfury, which did work both as a magic weapon and a sword, making it a totally interesting weapons for magic users. Hardmode was really priceless on this side, while it gave a "highest tier" weapon for most kind of them, it seriously didn't let the people chose what bonuses they actually would have liked to play with. That is all I want to soo on the actual items side of the contents.

Plus, we already have to see how the new contents are acutally included, as having a completely already explored world forcing you into the same old grinding fest is not really what most people would hope to see. Having the actual "alternate dimensions" would fix that problem, but I guess it's not the only solution. That's all up to 505 creativity.

Now being totally lazy to write further, I'll leave you guys with this pretty amazing wall of text pointing out my actual opinion on all this. Dare you guys to tell I'm a troll now. <3
  18. Loki ISP Moderator

For the 900th time, 505 has no rights to develop on the PC version. At least Red hinted at porting some of the console stuff back over...so there's that.

W1k is a trolly troll of trolliness. In fact, the new boss is a troll in his honor. ;)

I hope for the same things - but I'm not expecting them.

Two huge questions remain - post launch support and updates?
  19. kingicarus Floaty Gross

This looks pretty good, I like that there are new armors, weapons, pets, and monsters (though some could use better color combinations). I'm glad that this isn't just a port and actually brings some new things with it. I especially like how the final boss remains a mystery! Though I do hope there are some unique weapons.
  20. W1K RNG fanboy

Now if you point it out this way

I'm a pro bragger, I made the first tConfig boss ever made and my bosses AIs are the most well known through the community.

Now I pretend my troll boss.