New player looking for help!

Discussion in 'PC' started by Tuqa, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Tuqa Green Slime

Hey everyone!

I just started playing Terraria a couple of days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've found a couple of cool cave systems and have been able to make some basic armor and silver weapons. However, I've read some stuff on Terraria Wiki and other websites that have all kinds of stuff about the game I don't understand such as spells and guns that require items I have no idea how to acquire. So I guess I have some questions:

1. What's the best way to learn about everything in the game? There's so much to know it seems, and it's pretty overwhelming.
    2. Right now I basically leave my house and either go to the left or go to the right until I find a cave, then I mine whatever materials I find. What else am I supposed to be doing?
    3. What is "corruption" and all of the other different biomes and their purpose?
    4. Anything else I need to know?
  2. SonicR Bone Serpent

1. The wiki is a great way to start, but you can also use the Guide. Just asking him for help (the 'help' option on the NPC interface) will give plenty of tips on what you can/should do in the game. There's also a crafting option as well, which allows you to see all objects that can be made from a particular item.

2. Exploring the surface would be a good idea, as you will eventually encounter different biomes. Digging deep into the ground is recommended too, as the further down you go, the better loot/materials you will find. Beware, as enemies get harder as well.

3. The following are all biomes in the game:
    • The Corruption - a purple coloured biome that will spread unless stopped by sunflowers or any other block except dirt. It features deep chasms that contain demon altars and shadow orbs.
    • Snow - no difference to the forest biome apart from, you know, snow.
    • Desert - sand only, spawns different mobs.
    • Jungle - different trees, grass and mobs
    • Underground Jungle - literally the jungle underground, contains an essential crafting ingredient for some items.
    • The Dungeon a maze of passageways that contain a lot of items essential for advancement.
    • The Ocean/s - expanses of deep water at either end of the map.
    • The Underworld - a hellish domain at the bottom of the map.
    • Meteor - has a chance to be spawned after destroying a certain object in the Corruption
    • Floating Islands - regions in the sky that contain a house with one locked gold chest in each
    • The Hallow, Underground Hallow, Underground Corruption - biomes you don't need to worry about at the moment!
    In addition, the underground is split into two diifferent regions, the Underground and the Cavern. There's not much difference apart from the background colour, but tougher enemies do spawn in the Cavern.

4. No, not really. Just keep digging, find new ores, and craft it into tools/armour. I would recommend going to the Corruption when you have obtained a grappling hook and at least silver armour.
    The Cow King likes this.