Official Linux Steam Support

Discussion in 'Other' started by lordmocha, Sep 18, 2013.

1. lordmocha

lordmocha Angel Statue

Hi,

It would be fantastic for terraria to have linux support, because it is not a very graphically intense game and would run perfectly on many linux netbooks/laptops. - I personally just prefer linux and would like the ability to play the game there.

From the steam forums:
    Bastion is an XNA game for Linux using MonoGame and Mono.
    Solar 2 is an XNA game for Linux using MonoGame and Mono.
    WizOrb is an XNA game for Linux using MonoGame and Mono.

It appears like it would be very easy for an official linux version of the game to be shipped. So i'm posting here to make it known that there are people who would love this.

(Sorry if this is a double post, i searched the forums first. - yes i know you can get it running on linux but an official version through steam would be lovely)

2. IcyPhoenix

IcyPhoenix Fire Imp

Judging by the coder (Redigit) this will probably never happen.

3. Tunnel King

Tunnel King Moderator Staff Member

And for the same reason, it won't happen for Macs, unless Red licenses it out to another company to develop like he did with 505 Games.

lordmocha, you're not alone in your sentiments; someone once stubbornly reported lack of Linux/Mac support as a bug. However, I'm going to request that this thread be moved to the Suggestions/Other section. People seeing this title in the Support section may get the idea that Terraria IS supported on Linux, and cause confusion. Some people don't read past the title :) Redigit is more likely to see it there than here, imho.

Bullseye55 likes this.
  4. Loki ISP

Loki ISP Moderator Staff Member

I originally suggested it be put here - but I think TK is right. Moving

Bullseye55 likes this.
  5. Drencor

Drencor Cursed Man

I myself would love to see a Linux Steam distro of Terraria. I would also love to see a Linux distro of the Terraria server as well.

Reasons for the game itself being on linux is more and more people are getting linux systems.

As far as the linux server goes is many of us may have access to linux servers at data centers and would be a great way of having high speed backbone access to running our own Terraria servers.

6. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Cursed Man

I second Linux support would be nice... especially for the server. Would be nice if it could just run as a background service type of deal, on a Linux system.

7. Blu

Blu Moderator Staff Member

Red stated in his AMA on reddit that Mac/Linux support is a goal for him with Terraria, it's not like he's unaware that this is something people want.. Don't expect it anytime soon, but don't count it out either.

8. Drencor

Drencor Cursed Man

Well I can only hope right? :D

9. KVBLiar

KVBLiar Angel Statue

I'll take either one! I've gone as far as I can go (realistically) in the mobile (Android) version, and the virtual controls are frustrating as all get-out! It *has* to be worth the port (it took me a while to create an account here, so I'm sure there are tons more of us that aren't represented here at all) ... especially via Steam, right? Please!?!? Pretty please?!?! (etc.)