Pixels and Sprites

Discussion in 'Art' started by th3squirr3l, Jul 21, 2011.

1. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

Ok, imageshack can't decide whether it likes me or not. Images may or may not be broken xD
    The links seem to constantly be breaking and fixing themselves... It's really just annoying as hell. I might reupload them ALL with a more reliable site... :confused:

*Be sure to scroll through now and again, I usually add new sprites in with the old*
    A merchant with a mug (For forum member Merch):

[IMG]
    Nidhogg animation!
    [IMG]

Plesiosaur:
    [IMG]
    Also, an icey and evil-looking version. (The requested modifications for the suggestion thread)
    [IMG]
    This was made for the Highlands biome suggestion thread. I might add a nice background or something... Not sure.

---Actual Post now (lol)---
    Well, I've seen a ton of good art around these forums, and these are just about as good as I can do. Compared to some, I'd say they hardly qualify for art :p

Originally for this awesome thread full of over 200 cool vanity item suggestions, these are my first ever pixel art/sprite works... So judge kindly!

I'll generally be doing recognizable (hopefully, lol) characters from videogames or movies... I may try a few original things too.

First off, my characters from the Fire Emblem series. Most are from Blazing Sword, but I'll be doing some from other games:

Pent:
    [IMG]

Erk, as a Sage (Almost just a color swap of Pent, but I gave him his own hair. Mage version is soon to come.)
    [IMG]
    Matthew. I tried a few different things, I can't decide which of these I like better:
    [IMG]
    Wil:
    [IMG]
    Black Knight. Meh on this one. I like the helmet though :|
    [IMG]
    Oswin:
    [IMG]
    Eliwood:
    [IMG]
    Ike:
    [IMG]
    Marth:
    [IMG]
    Guy:
    [IMG]
    Lyndis:
    [IMG]
    Ranulf:
    [IMG]
    Jaffar:
    [IMG]
    Here I will put the weapon reskins inspired by Fire Emblem:
    Ragnell (Night's Edge):
    [IMG]
    Alondite (Also for Night's Edge). The one on the right is truer to the games, with the bronze handle and hilt, but I still prefer the black one lol:
    [IMG][IMG]
    Lyndis' blade, the Mani Katti (Muramasa):
    [IMG]

I'm also a huge fan of Doukutsu Monogatari/Cave Story, and I'll be doing most of the characters, as there aren't too many. Here's what I've got so far:
    [IMG]King
    [IMG]Toroko
    [IMG]Jack
    [IMG]Chaco
    [IMG]Cthulhu (Not that Cthulhu, but a friendly race of NPCs native to the floating island in Cave Story)
    [IMG]Sue Sakamoto (Who was turned into a Mimiga. I may do her human form...)
    [IMG]Kazuma Sakamoto
    [IMG]Momorin Sakamoto
    [IMG]Professor Booster
    [IMG]"The Doctor" (Dr. Fuyuhiko Date)
    [IMG]Quote
    [IMG]Curly Brace
    [IMG]Jenka's dogs (Hajime, Nene, Mick, Shinobu, Kakeru)
    [IMG]Chie
    [IMG]The Colons/Korons
    [IMG]Malco
    [IMG]A robot.

And, I've got one character so far from the Street Fighter series. (Noone had done it for that thread, despite there being a ton of other SF characters.)
    Juri Han! My favorite in that game :)
    [IMG](sorry, I'll upload a larger version later)

I also sprited a great character from a great comic and movie.
    V:
    [IMG]
    From Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, we have...
    Juste Belmont: (added this vvvv whip thing later on.)
    [IMG][IMG]
    And a request by nick3529, ponies. Though I'm not a fan myself, I'll eventually have the 6 main characters from MLP. Lotta people seem to love that show here...
    Rarity:
    [IMG]
    Rainbow Dash:
    [IMG]
    For Kael'Rus, I modified Matthew to look like a character from Trigun.
    Vash (the Stampede):
    [IMG]
    An assassin from Assassin's Creed:
    [IMG]
    Boba Fett!!
    [IMG]
    From Earthbound/Mother,
    Lucas:
    [IMG]
    Ness:
    [IMG][IMG] And his baseball bat!

Misty from Pokemon (from a request on the this thread right here):
    [IMG][IMG] Isn't Togepi just adorable? xD

Red and Blu soldiers from TF2:
    [IMG]Maggots!
    Red and Blu pyros:
    [IMG]Mmmmph!
    Red and Blu spies:
    [IMG]
    Red and Blue scouts:
    [IMG]
    Pyramid Head's pyramid... head...
    [IMG]
    From Devil May Cry,
    Dante and Nero:
    [IMG]

Marble Hornets!
    Tim/Masky:
    [IMG]
    From the Overside comics on rice-boy.com:
    The One Electronic!
    [IMG](I may be doing other characters from this. i.e. Koark, Calabash, Angel Eye, the Bottle Woman, a shade, a War Man... Idk, there's a whole lot from these comics that are just awesome.)

FUS ROH DAH!
    [IMG]

Forum member Shadowcrazy's original character:
    [IMG]

And, last but not least, my original works! xD
    For Nick Harman, a ninja wearing black and a red headband:
    [IMG]
    Also, just a ninja. lol.
    [IMG]
    An Angel Statue costume:
    [IMG]
    A plague doctor:
    [IMG](Pay no attention to the recycled cloak xD)

The next two are original, somewhat inspired by the doodles found on this thread:
    [IMG]Based on the Devil Armor.
    [IMG]Based on the Ghost Armor.
    My take on some sort of necromancer-ish guy:
    [IMG][IMG](I think I'm gonna turn that first one into Slenderman xD)
    Random items:
    A harp:
    [IMG]

Darkas' jewel-encrusted ban hammer:
    [IMG]

NPCs:

A Nidhogg!
    [IMG][IMG]Stubby arms ftw :)

I suppose requests are open, if anyone has any, but you'd be much better off asking here, as there are a lot of talented people working on a variety sprites as well! Not to mention that I might pick it up there anyway... Nevermind, that thread kinda died :(

Updates on myself, in regards to this thread:
    (I'll be changing this depending on what I'm doing with this all)
    (11/16) Lol, haven't updated this little updatey thingy in a while... Two months, actually. Though it remains the same: Requests are open-ish at the moment... It might take me a while to get around to it... :|
    VVorlcl, J-50N, Kage and 22 others like this.
  2. Kael'Rus Doctor Bones

Make Matt look more like Vash. Epic Vash the Stampede sprite FTW!
    TechtheWolf and Scottyknows like this.
  3. maddox3662 Green Slime

can you make a spikey armor guy? with orange as primary color and purple as secondary? ohh and a orange and purple staff or sword? please please if you could that would be awesome
  4. nick3529 Green Slime

Do Ponies :D
    I would love to see that
  5. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

Wow, I wasn't really planning on requests, but...

Well, he might not have spikey armour, but it sounds to me like Oswin (pic in the link) from Fire Emblem. Someone who I planned on making.

I have NO clue who that is :D I never watched Trigun :\

Umm... That could have an interesting outcome lol... Maybe I'm not the best one to ask to do that.

Anyways, I'll be building a robot until later tonight, so I won't be doing any more until then, like I said.
  6. ClutchV Blazing Wheel

Black Night is cool
  7. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

Maybe it's not so bad as I make it out to be, haha... It's hard to get the right detail in with sprites so small, and the Black Knight's armor is kinda detaily.
  8. ClutchV Blazing Wheel

What program you use?
  9. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

Pfft just MSPaint, nothing fancy xD
    If you'd like to give a try at a few sprites yourself, check out the thread in the OP. The default/base sprite is posted there, and you can use it as a guideline to get you started!
  10. ClutchV Blazing Wheel

Made a sword lol [IMG]
  11. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

Nice! I personally haven't tried any weapons yet, but I do have one new thing:

Oswin:
    [IMG]
    Could be better, could be worse. A LOT worse. :)

EDIT: Eliwood is coming along nicely.
  12. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

And, my last one for tonight, here's Eliwood:
    [IMG]
    I liked a lot how this turned out :D

Gonna be playing some TF2... The item drops have reset for the week :cool:
  13. ClutchV Blazing Wheel

Nice
  14. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

I know I said I wasn't going to do any more tonight.
    Ok, this next one, I just LOVE. Both the character, and the way the sprite turned out.
    So, without further ado:
    Voila! In view, humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
    The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
    Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s his very good honour to meet you and you may call him, V.
    [IMG]
  15. saison Blazing Wheel

Besides the Eliwood and V, the bigger problem I see with your sprites are the palettes. They're pretty conflicting. One I really liked was Wil c:
  16. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep this in mind...
    I'm always messing with the colors trying to get them right... And it works, some of the time haha. Eventually I just settle with what I have.
    What you said is especially true of Oswin, I know for a fact. I was just in a hurry to be done with him, really. I couldn't get him right in the least xD
  17. saison Blazing Wheel

I suggest using the FE portrait palettes then. Unless you're already using them :eek:
  18. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

Nah, I'm just getting them as close as I can and/or feel like ;)
  19. Kusanagi Green Slime

hahaha xD looks like you've got fans

Hoping to see more work from you dude ^^ Curious how you spriting ponies will go xD
  20. th3squirr3l Dark Caster

Well, like I said, it'll be interesting.

I think I'm going to try a few ponies as vanity items, even. Wouldn't that get us a heck of a lot of support from the all the bronies out there? xD

Also, I have my first weapon reskin, for the Night's Edge!
    Ike's handy sword, Ragnell:
    [IMG]
    I might do Alondite as well, if someone would like me to.