Post Your Best Creations Contest - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Console' started by Loki ISP, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Loki ISP Moderator

So, to keep the main entry thread clean, I'm asking folks to centralize their questions, discussion of entries, etc. here.

Keep the main thread entries only. I'll be moving discussion and question posts here.

Ultimately, this allows 505 and others to easily find and respond to both entries and questions/issues.

Cheers!
  2. Eldritchsense Green Slime

Here's a question I've been curious about. When they say post our best creations...are they really wanting a lot of sprite art referencing material from other companies? Stuff like the Mario picture, while incredibly awesome, may not be what they're looking for when showcasing what the game can do. Maybe I'm just paranoid (and I hope that those entries are valid) but posting copyright material from other companies on your official website when trying to essentially advertise your game can always be risky.

That said, another question I had was do they prefer in-game screenshots, or are screens captured with outside programs (like TEdit, I think?) alright? Again a concern I have is that because console users wont have access to things like TEdit, they may want to avoid posting submissions that were taken with it in order to sidestep any possible confusion/frustration.

I guess I just want the submission rules to be as painlessly clear as possible so that everyone has a chance :)
    PuLSe likes this.
  3. Loki ISP Moderator

Larger screens are nearly impossible without Tedit. My rationale for folks posting how they were CREATED is along the lines you are thinking. In console, it will all have to be hand built. Some of the Tedit creations - while amazingly epic - are nigh impossible within a reasonable timeframe to build by hand.

Including both shows what is theoretically possible as well as realistically possible - and insures a level playing field for both entry types.

505 will have to decide their own level of risk tolerance on utilizing Terraria-created imagery from other games. Caveat emptor to folks relying on those entries.
    kalvindeane likes this.
  4. terrariaBurak Yellow Slime

• Are the custom textures allowed? Or Only recolors? Or none of them?
    • Must we make a creation in game? (Unlike a building in game,like a battle scene with some edits)
    • Can we Add some things from paint like programs to make screenshot better? (Like a Background filled with adamantite or a frame to make picture cooler)
    @Sorry if these questions are a bit dump. "Creation" title confuses me a little :)
  5. Loki ISP Moderator

I'll make sure they see this, but the spirit of the contest is building things in game.

Photoshopping to me is well off of those rails.

An epic battle in a custom arena (remember its a still image)...that seems fair game

Unsure on the use of modpacks vs vanilla. On one hand, it makes things cooler. On the other, it shows things that the console users - or potential purchasers - will never be able to do.
  6. PuLSe Cactus King

I agree with this point completely. I've encouraged several builders I work with to submit their works while pointing out that original works are more likely to be used than a build of, say, Sonic the Hedgehog. It's much easier to sidestep any potential copyright issues and is, in fact, why I submitted my Worm Pit as opposed to my Bird of Prey. In this case, it's not because I'm vying to win the contest (I don't own a console - I would give the game away; and I'm one of three people on the planet without a Facebook account, so I'll probably never see their page), but wanted to give 505 something that might be of use to them. Kkslida, if you're watching: Your big three bosses are perfect for 505 on this one!

As far as pics taken with Terrafirma or TEdit, I would think that it would almost be necessary for a pic or two of this type to give potential buyers of the game a clue as to just how limitless the building can be. Indeed, large builds can be done by hand. I would nominate kalvindeane as the master of such builds - Goku, Fire Breathing Dragon, Death and his MonsTeR (WIP - the size is just staggering) - he's done them all by hand. Stratzenblitz75 too. I question their sanity;), but it can certainly be done on a console just as they've done it on PC. Conversely, if there's no way to ever see it on your console... then what's the point I suppose, though I'm ignorant as to whether .wld files can be exchanged from one platform to another. I would guess not... and I dunno what the odds are of any other method to view large areas... That being said, do we really know for sure that there won't be some method built into the game? I haven't really followed it 'cause, as I said, I don't have a console.

Thanks for suggesting this thread, and sorry for the drama I inspired on the other thread. I had a round 3 in mind (all original works) for the other thread, but instead I'll just shout out to 505games: You're free to download my .wld file from my OP and 'steal' any works you like for any purpose. My .wld has been freely offered in the public domain since its inception and it's been downloaded many thousands of times - sharing is what we're all about.:)
  7. kalvindeane Voodoo Demon

Stratzenblitz75 is just mental. Surely his will make the cut :D
    Stratzenblitz75 likes this.
  8. Loki ISP Moderator

Please post your original ones to the other thread pulse. 505 won't likely have the time and I'm sure folks want to see them. You didn't cause anything negative.

It is true that epic huge builds can be done by hand - I'm just thinking about a nice mix.

As for console, keep in mind it does have a in game map...so folks would be able to see their zoomed out creations.

And yeah, some of these builders are creative and insane!
    PuLSe and kalvindeane like this.
  9. terrariaBurak Yellow Slime

Can We conbine items like an excalibur into the Stone or a player that dual wileds two pistols.Graphics are orginal terraria graphics , just conbining.
  10. PuLSe Cactus King

AlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllRighty then! Valentine's Day will get in the way today, but after that, it's on to Round 3!:p

Probably wouldn't hurt to clarify the rule about whether or not a submission by me of somebody else's work will qualify them for a prize. If they're interested in the prize, I'd hate to screw that up... but so many wonderful builds by so many wonderful builders - it'd be a shame for 505 not to know about them and I dunno if these guys are gonna strut their stuff. I am, after all, a professional-ingame-picture-taker-poster-dude;) and many have come to rely me for that, at least for their stuff in my world.

I did see where Enzym woke up on this one, so we should see something from him. And will somebody poke Sercease for this?! Wait, I'm on it...
    Stratzenblitz75 likes this.
  11. Loki ISP Moderator

Your posting their stuff won't DISQUALIFY them....we just need to know if it QUALIFIES them.

That said, my strong preference is for this to be for active TO members...so some of the folks that have been gone for months may not work (this is for logistic and philosophic reasons). That was my rationale behind folks posting their own - at least we know they are here! :)

505 needs to weigh in though - these are their prizes. On this and the mod/skin pack question.

I'll poke them.
  12. 505Games 505Games

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your points and questions - we're double checking on the potential copyright issue, so will have to get back to you on this one.

With regards to what is allowed - this competition is to celebrate the greatest creations you've made within Terraria - It was supposed to be pretty open, so almost anything goes! As mentioned, please just specify how each design was created, this way, it should be fair.

Hope that helps?

:)
    Eldritchsense, Loki ISP and PuLSe like this.
  13. PuLSe Cactus King

Hear that rumbling sound? Hold on to your butts...:D
    Loki ISP likes this.
  14. Loki ISP Moderator

Need one other point of clarity - are entries limited to what folks submit themselves or do you care?

If left to me, I'm of the preference that things need to be entered by the creator to be "official" for the contest...though posts like pulses where other folks works are shared are still welcome (just not official). This just insures active folks and the ease of prize delivery.

So, folks, it's wide open...but PLEASE detail what you used (ingame vs Tedit, mod/skin packs used, etc)
  15. 505Games 505Games

Yep agreed:

So -
    • Post your own - good to go, if chosen, you're the winner of Terraria on console
    • Post someone else's - credit will be given to the original creator and thanks to the person who posted it - the copy of Terraria on console will be given to the creator
    :)
    PuLSe and kalvindeane like this.
  16. PuLSe Cactus King

Yippie-Kai-Yay-M.........

Ladies and gentlemen, please ensure that your seats are in their upright position and that your tray tables are securely locked in place. We ask that you remain in your seats with your seatbelts fastened - we're expecting significant turbulence ahead. Don't even thing about opening an overhead compartment...

Let's blow this thing up:cool:
    kalvindeane likes this.
  17. GernotTheClonkeror Doctor Bones

No Facebook, huh. That makes Bardioc and I the other two on the planet without it. . . Wait, I know one other person who doesn't have it. . . We'll have to extend it to four.
    Our family has a Wii, but there isn't a port for the Wii, so I'd be in the same boat if I won. 8P
    On Topic: Its good to see some of the Creations I don't usually see. Usually I just look at my Watched Threads, and stalk the threads that PuLSe has been to. He seems to have a good eye for artistry.
    PuLSe likes this.
  18. Eldritchsense Green Slime

No drama or negativity here, I'm just a stickler for knowing all the rules so there's very little confusion :) Neat and orderly, no muss no fuss. All of the submissions have been great and like I said before I hope as many of them as possible are valid entries, should make the showcase look pretty good.

And yeah I know there's really no way to show large builds except with TEdit or stringing together screen shots (which can be both tricky and messy), I was simply concerned with 505 maybe not wanting to show them due to the fact that as far as we know something similar isn't achievable (The builds will be, but showing them all on one screen is what I mean) on the console version. They haven't actually revealed any information regarding that, from what I've seen.

In the end, g'luck to everyone and keep up the awesome builds :)
    505Games, PuLSe and Loki ISP like this.
  19. m31k Unicorn

Thank you this mean a lot for me. <3
    Because of you and @Redigit we have back community?
  20. 505Games 505Games

Ok - we're good to go with homages to other games! Go crazy!!