Question about mods and multiplayer lag.

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by lunicuss, Nov 29, 2012.

1. lunicuss Doctor Bones

My current mods:
    TConfig 0.27
    Sap874's Alchemy
    Arkhalis' Dynamic Difficulty
    Eikester's Furniture
    Eikester's Wallpaper
    Deadwindshadow's Jewelcrafting
    Zoodle's Necro Mod Pack
    MiraiMai's Never Enough Devices
    MiraiMai's Never Enough Everything else (Weaponry, Accessories, Headgear, Magic)
    Obsidian's Mod
    Classikly's Pickaxe+
    Yoraiz0r's Races of Terraria/Holoraces
    Surfpup's Portal Mod

I've done quite a lot of research about this, but to no avail. So here's the question. Would having this
    amount of mods lag us?
    -The lag is on both sides, not network lag since we're 10 minutes away from each other. The two 'types' of lag that we're getting is mobs jumping around/teleporting, and everything turning slow motion every once and a while.
    -My computer is running both the server and client.
    -It is a good computer.
    -I ran a 1.1 server for 3 friends on the same computer, without any lag or trouble.
    -We're running a small world, and that seemed to improve it a bit.

I will give you many metaphorical cookies if you can help me with this one!
    I'm asking the question here because the only difference from when we weren't lagging is the mods.

I thank thee
    -Lunicuss
  2. Shockah Grandson of the Wizard

tConfig 0.27. Update it.
    And yeah, I know. Some mods aren't updated for it.
  3. lunicuss Doctor Bones

So you're saying that the version I'm running at causes these problems?

Wouldn't the version - unless it's a bug, instead of some kind of lag - having nothing really do it with it?
    I'm not really experienced, but eh, I'll give it a shot.
  4. Shockah Grandson of the Wizard

You always should use the latest version.
    Also, the latest tConfig has some fixes for NPCs and optimizations for stuff causing the most lag, so it should work much better.

And yes, the more mods you have, the bigger the lag.
  5. lunicuss Doctor Bones

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll give it a shot!
    The main reason I've been using 0.27 is that some mods that I like have not been updated. I've decided to disable pickaxe+, furniture and wallpaper packs - they seemed the biggest. I'll try updating too.
  6. MiraiMai Fire Imp

The size of the mod has little to do with lag, its the amount of mods loaded usually. Whenever I have too much lag(the slowdown type, NPC was tConfig issue fixed in 0.28.0) I try merging mods together in a big mod pack("MaiModPack", for me :p) to limit how many different mods I have loaded. The only problem with this trick is if you don't know about coding, it can be hard to merge some as they require modifying the code if they have the same Global files.

As for updating, MOST mods should work fine with rebuilding from tConfig's new built in Rebuild menu, I can warn you though that Never Enough Devices hasn't been updated yet, I'm working on that this weekend.(starting tomorrow) Generally, mods that add Tiles that actually do something probably won't rebuild easily.
  7. Surfpup Raincoat Zombie

In fact, even in 0.28 there still may be NPC related lag, so what I've done is remove an NPC-related networking hook completely and made some minor changes to make it possible to create a network message for when an NPC spawns (which is what the hook was original made for, but in actuality that hook would get called every time NPC coordinates and health were updated).

In short, there may be another update this weekend that reduces that lag even more - or rather, it should remove it completely.
  8. lunicuss Doctor Bones

First, thanks for your help! I can handle the simpler modding tasks, so I'll give that a shot.
    And thanks for enlightening me to the amount of mods causing lag!
    I'll try that now!

Awesome!
    This was probably the problem that was bugging us most (Cthulu is rather difficult to deal with, when it lagports back to it's starting position when you hit it, haha!), but I'm glad that it's fixed. Thanks!

EDIT: Nope, wasn't able too.
  9. Surfpup Raincoat Zombie

Clarification: it may be fixed in an update this weekend.
  10. dean van tessel Green Slime

Does anybody know why my friend cant connect to my server when we have the same mod installed (omnir's nostalgia)?
    We use Hamachi and we tryed to connect to each other first without mod and that works.
    Any help would be welcome ^^