TConfig Reserved Names and Ideas for Mods

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Elfin, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

Post removed, it caused way too much conflict.

2. Yoraiz0r

Yoraiz0r The Wizard

I don't have much to say for this other then the concept being impractical for such a small modding community , only 1 case of this ever occured in the past year and only between 3 modders (W1k, Omnir , Obsidian40500) where 2 (W1k , Obsidian40500) used an NPC from the 1 (Omnir) modder's mod without changing the name.

Shockah likes this.
  3. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

As I asked, please do not reply here unless you're applying for a reserve..

I will address your concern though. I understand what you're saying but what you don't know is that there is a current case (Avalon Vs. MoarSlimes) going on. This is a prevention thread, rather than a judicial one.

4. Yoraiz0r

Yoraiz0r The Wizard

However this thread requires everyone around to respect it , and people might reserve things they will never use.
    If two modders made mods that already exist collide , they should solve their issues between themselves , as people who compose a proper civilization would.
    And to make myself more legitimate to your thread , I hereby request to reserve the combination of any name that starts with 'holo' or 'holocry'.

5. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

To start off, request granted. We'll call this the Yoraiz0r Clause. Also, if solved between themselves, another issue could rise up. It could be the same people, or another party wanting the name for their mod. Therefore, this thread is necessary to keep record of all name reservations (and ideas)

That is why I added the significance part of the application. So, could you explain your signicance, please?

6. Yoraiz0r

Yoraiz0r The Wizard

The significance is merely due to half of my mods already including the term 'holo' , such as Holotailor , Holowires and Holoraces , and the junkyardly released Holotiles , I do not wish for people to associate themselves to the concepts my mods impose by adding 'holo' to the content they make.

7. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

Perfect, as you may have seen, the clause has been added to the original post.

8. Shockah

Shockah Grandson of the Wizard

Inb4 no one cares other than you, Elfin.

Yoraiz0r likes this.
  9. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way. I can assure you that at least one other person cares. This is literally a courtesy thread. Nothing more than that. Nothing less. To others, these reservations may mean nothing to them. But I'm pretty sure that other modders would like to reserve their names/ideas in the case that an ambiguity conflict occurs..

Now, if you please, stop posting these replies here. There is no need to flood my thread with replies not relevant to the original post.

10. Shockah

1) Copy-pasted items / NPCs are bleh. So are your slimes.
    2) Terraria modding community is SMALL AS HELL. It's not Minecraft. Also, in Minecraft things like these don't happen, because mods don't use INI files, so they don't have to use names for everything.

11. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

1) No one said they were copy-pasted.
    2) 4 letters, GTFO :)

You don't belong here, in this thread, comparing the community to Minecraft. You're the ONLY one making the comparison.

12. Shockah

Tell me one thing that is oh-so-original about your slimes and I'll shut up about them being copy-pasted.
    Also, I'm comparing it to Minecraft modding community because: 1) It's one of the actually big modding communities; 2) I used to mod Minecraft, too.
    Oh, and, you're not defending at all, you're just saying we are all wrong or telling us to fuck off. Nice going there.

13. blahblahbal

blahblahbal Anomura Fungus

Um, excuse me, but I want White Gel taken off your list. I was the first one to have that as an item, and I don't appreciate you circumventing Avalon's items and telling everyone that, in essence, your mod is better than mine. Now, with this statement I'm not saying that Avalon is better than your mod.

What I think we should do with this thread is exactly this:
    - Post about what we think would be a common name;
    - Try to figure out how to make mods not conflict:
    * Such as, I have an item called Steel Bar. I could rename this item "Reinforced Iron Bar." Or I could name it "Refined Iron Bar." There are many possibilities. Of course, this would cause many players of Avalon to be confused, as it would make all the stacks of Steel Bars turn into Unloaded Item.

When we encounter a conflict, post about it here. Don't act rude to people, and don't think you're hot stuff either. I like the idea of this thread, but not the way it's started off. That is, in a bad way.

14. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

I'm sorry, I did not plan for the ----------------

Forget it. Yet another community I am going to leave. I can't take the constant hating, rudeness, and smug from all of it's members. (Or most of)
    I'll go find another community, I guess.

15. blahblahbal

Wait... you're gonna leave just because I gave you some pointers on how to be an effective member of a community? That's... just sad, so sad. There is no hope for you, I'm sorry to say.

16. Surfpup

Surfpup Arapaima

There are other possible ways to deal with this, such as making the dictionary indexes utilize a unique identifier. We would have to work out a nice way to access them within code though.

Note that you can give your NPC any weird name you want, and set displayName to what you want it to appear as. Conflicts are easily avoided simply by appending a number to the filenames.

By the way, if someone wants to make a 'White Slime' NPC in their mod, there isn't going to be any modding police force to stop them. Modders must work things out between each other if a conflict arises, and no one is going to look up a 'reserved name' list to see if something is already taken before they create their mod.

Finally, I find it to be an issue that you also state:
    You cannot 'reserve' ideas - if someone else wants to make a mod that involves adding more slimes to the game, they are free to do so.

Discussion about why this is a bad idea is certainly relevant.

We could continue to discuss other ways to solve the problem, if we can admit that it is a problem to begin with. As I said above, tConfig could be worked on to make naming conflicts never happen.

Yoraiz0r likes this.
  17. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

No, I'm sorry. It's not you, it's me. (LOL GENERIC LINE)
    Anyway.. I always try to contribute to the development of the communities I'm in, and this time it turned out terrible. It usually does, because no one really understands what I'm trying to say. So, I'm going to leave now before anything gets worse. Consider my reservation thread gone. As well as MoarSlimes.

18. blahblahbal

I agree with this, completely. But wait, you're thinking. I said that this thread is a good idea. AND I DO. There's a reason.

This thread could serve the purpose of a go-to place for modders to sort out their conflictions.

19. Elfin

Elfin Green Slime

The replies weren't relevant, or maybe there is a better word for it. I specifically asked for replies like those to be messaged to me, not flooding the thread.

You're right, that you cannot reserve ideas. Though you must not grasp my full point. Mods are only ideas until they are actually coded in and such. Therefore, If I wanted to reserve "Slimey" before I made it, I would consider that a reserved idea.

But none of that matters now. I call to a mod to lock this thread, please.

20. Revos

Revos Mouse

Couldn't we just suggest that people run a different world/character for different mods? This is what i do anyways when trying out mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.