PC Server lag

Discussion in 'Technical Support Archive' started by xisneakyx, Aug 8, 2013.

1. xisneakyx Green Slime

Hi, when me and my friend are playing on my server, I experience quite a bit of lag with enemies and players. My friend runs a lot faster than me and is stuttering around, so are enemies. Is there a way to make my server run faster by allocating more ram to it? I've got tons of ram to spare. I wouldn't think that I would get lag when i'm hosting the server. Thanks.
  2. Nigel Doctor Bones

Let's see your system specs. Terraria doesn't use much RAM so more than likely there is a bottleneck somewhere else in your system.
  3. Tunnel King Moderator

Not to get too far off-topic, but what do you consider 'a lot of RAM'? Terraria with a large world consumes ~850MB for me; the command-line server with the same world, ~750MB. If I run both together on the same machine (connected in MP), I'm looking at over 1.1GB total RAM usage. For a game that advertises needing only 512MB, that sure seems like 'a lot' to me.

But I agree that allocating more RAM to Terraria (if that's even possible/advisable) probably isn't the answer.
  4. Nigel Doctor Bones

That's why I want to know the OP's system specs. If we're looking at 1-2GB of system RAM then that could be a problem. A lot of other applications running at the same time would make it worse, of course.

Terraria is a 32-bit application, meaning that it can use up to 2GB of RAM+VRAM (non-large address space aware). I've never seen it come close to this limit, therefore I wouldn't consider it to be memory-intensive.
  5. Wizard1994 Herpling

I think it could be your internet speed, I have hosted servers before and my newer, faster internet fixed the lag for me.
    If there are many users all on the same internet, or you are having connectivity issues with your wireless I believe that could be the problem. Try using a LAN cord for the wireless problem if that's what the issue is...

I am kinda guessing on this so I'm probably wrong, just posting this to try and help :)
  6. Nigel Doctor Bones

The OP is lagging on a server that they are hosting, so connection latency probably isn't the issue. I'm assuming that they are running their client and server on the same machine.