Servers for Linux?

Discussion in 'Server Archive' started by MaKKAPAKKA3, May 17, 2011.

1. MaKKAPAKKA3

MaKKAPAKKA3 Green Slime

Is it possible to host a server on Linux?

I'm not installing Windows on my server, and Windows is stupid for hosting servers anyway.

2. Xylon Steve

Xylon Steve Green Slime

I 100% agree with you. I would love to have a Terraria server running on each of my servers, but I can't run a windows based server on them (even with wine as I have no gui).

3. BaggeN

BaggeN Green Slime

Atm you can only host if you have a windows OS.

4. MaKKAPAKKA3

MaKKAPAKKA3 Green Slime

A dedicated server for Linux wouldn't be hard that hard to make, I'm sure they could do it, I doubt they'll ever do a port for the game though.

5. twisted

twisted Green Slime

This is so important for the game to succeed on a large scale in multiplayer, I just hope the dev's realise this.

6. Ice_

Ice_ Green Slime

I agree here. Having a seperate dedicated server for Linux would have been great, people very rarely use Windows on their dedicated server host(s)!

7. Matt Olivera

Matt Olivera Green Slime

Just having ANY server-mode support for the executable is important. Most people (like myself) who have access to things like cloud servers and such can't run it, due to needing a video card that's supported.

it's 'tarded.

8. MrManny

MrManny Green Slime

While I agree on the first statement, I'd like to add that the latter one is a misconception. Especially businesses tend to use Windows Servers.

Anywho. The real question is: can it be ported easily? As far as I know, Terraria uses the .NET Framework and XNA. Mono still has some catching up to do in regards to full compatibility with the later versions of .NET, and I am unsure if XNA is ported at all (or if the Terraria server components can avoid using XNA).

9. Feynt

Feynt Green Slime

As far as I know Amazon uses *nix boxes, RiM's backend is all linux, and most if not all of Linden Lab's main grid for Second Life is hosted on linux instances. As well, speaking with one of the big wigs at Blizzard a few years back, he confirmed all their servers are linux (but sssh, no one's suppose to know. >D ).

Mono works just as well on *nix as it does on Mac and Windows, so the real question is how much of the network coding is tied to .NET? I'm almost certain that the networking side of things is cross platform right now, so it's kind of just a matter of chopping off the graphical bits and making it all command line again.

10. Kristopher Richards

Kristopher Richards Green Slime

I'm working on creating a server on linux buy using virtual box and a xp iso. I haven't booted the machine for a while so it's updating. Hoping it'll work.

11. Snicker

Snicker Green Slime

How is this comming along? I want to host a dedicated server my self.

12. Kristopher Richards

Kristopher Richards Green Slime

I've ended up just hosting on my main win7 machine. The video card on that old machine don't quite cut it. I hope they come out with a server app that's command line and/or could be hosted on linux. That'd be nice.

Hamachi Network: Free Public Terraria Server
    Server IP: 5.17.66.210
    Password: guest

New large map. Be friendly to one another. Let's have fun!

13. Ice_

Ice_ Green Slime

They've released a dedicated server now for Windows, I hope they'll try releasing it for Linux as well in the future :).

14. _Tweak

_Tweak Green Slime

YES, you can run a dedicated Terraria Server on linux with just the terminal

I am running Ubuntu server 11.04, with TDSM (Terraria Dedicated Server Mod)

you need mono and TDSM.

1.) sudo apt-get install mono-runtime
    2.) wgethttp://kangaroo.olympus-gaming.net/Terraria_Server.exe
    3.) chmod a+x Terraria_Server.exe
    4.) \. Terraria_Server.exe
    it ask you if you want to quite to edit the config ... yes
    5.) vim server.properties
    press i for insert mode
    edit the file
    ctr+c to exit insert
    shift z, and shift z again to save and exit
    6.) assuming your router is good to go just type \. Terraria_Server.exe

- Tweak
    - my server is now at home.wookiewartribe.com -p 7777
    - of course its running tdsm but TDSM DOES LINUX

15. Mossy-Dave

Mossy-Dave Green Slime

i get this error when i try and run terraria with mono, I'm running ubuntu 11.04 and mono 1.0

Code:
    WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
    Using default runtime: v1.1.4322

** (Terraria_Server.exe:5849): WARNING **: Missing method System.Console::set_Title(string) in assembly /usr/lib/mono/1.0/mscorlib.dll, referenced in assembly /root/Terraria_Server.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Console.set_Title'.

any suggestions?

16. DeathCradle

DeathCradle Demon Eye

You need Mono 2.10 for later releases.

17. Kreychek

Kreychek Green Slime

Is this supposed to work w/the official TerrariaServer.exe (provided here: http://www.terraria.org/terraria-server.zip)?

In Ubuntu 11.10:

Code:
    Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Terraria.ProgramServer' from assembly 'TerrariaServer, Version=1.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Terraria.ProgramServer' from assembly 'TerrariaServer, Version=1.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    Or is this only supposed to work w/TDSM?

18. lestiandeb

lestiandeb Green Slime

I have the same problem, do not now why my server wont start:

Hi

I have debian linux dedicated server and I'am trying since couple weeks run Terraria Linux Dedicated Server 1.1.2

I have the newest version of mono:

Code:
    Mono JIT compiler version 2.10.2 (tarball Thu Feb 23 14:07:22 CET 2012)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Novell, Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
            TLS:          __thread
            SIGSEGV:      altstack
            Notifications: epoll
            Architecture:  amd64
            Disabled:      none
            Misc:          softdebug
            LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
            GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC and Parallel Mark)

My system is Debian Lenny x64.

After this command mono ./TerrariaServer.exe which is executable I get following error:

Code:
    Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Terraria.ProgramServer' from assembly 'TerrariaServer, Version=1.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    I have no idea what to do more in order to run this server, please help me if You can

thanks in advance.

19. rethu

rethu Green Slime

Yes it is possible to host a server in Linux.If you want to host a server in Linux platform visit this site 9Cubehosting.com

20. Ice_

Ice_ Green Slime

Nice promoting you got there and good work on bumping this really old thread.