PC Something about a possible PC update.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Redigit, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Redigit Developer

Okay, let me pose a hypothetical. Say I am considering doing an update for the PC version of Terraria... In the event that such a thing were to take place, what would be some things that you would be interested in seeing?

Edit from the Mod Team:
    Keep it clean people. We're watching. There are plenty of threads for in depth discussion about the past and the future for Terraria, this is a thread for suggestions, so stay on topic. ^_^

- The Mod Team
    Please Open (open)

[IMG]

2. redeven Yellow Slime

Dunno, probably some bugfixes, maybe a Cthulhu boss...

Edit: I just noticed I'm first post. Feel like a ninja.
  3. Relinies-the-Wizard Lava Slime

Any amount of new content.
    Seriously, even a super secret random item that gives us a few days hunt.
    Or maybe something larger, more obvious, but just as fun? Anything goes, really.
    EDIT: ARGH NOT FIRST. Q_Q
    EDITEDIT MONTHS LATER: Wow, I am LOVING these spoilers. SO MUCH WANT.
    Villy, Mamaluigi71, Snow-Man and 10 others like this.
  4. Loki ISP Moderator

Holy crap......inbound! ;)

First, steal shamelessly from the console functionality....the pets....the new boss....the MAP.

Second...honestly....partner with the modders around here and pull in some of the EPIC stuff they have done.

Look at the Holiday Augment mod that won the hardcore contest for example....it takes what was done in 2011 to a whole other level. It might just make things easier on your end, alleviating the need for a spriter, etc....provided you only lift what you feel fits your vision for the game.

Outside of that....big stuff, not just reskins and such...total big picture wish list....

New biomes?
    More bosses
    Flesh out the desert and ocean biomes more - equivalent to the others
    Teleport gates
    New blocks
    Different top end gear/armor that is truly tailored ot play styles

more later
    Villy, Harkon, RayWay and 39 others like this.
  5. InfinitySnail Face Monster

A turtle pet. No questions! :3
  6. Redigit Developer

A turtle pet was actually on the list of possibilities!
  7. InfinitySnail Face Monster

I knew it! :D
  8. Loki ISP Moderator

Oh and more holiday themes during the year - like Halloween.

Sorry kids were up had to run abruptly.
  9. Redigit Developer

I like the idea of new biomes! An ocean biome was one of the ideas floating around as well as a few other that I will disclose at a later time.. ;)

Holiday content is a good idea!
    6359_, Zoomish, fr0stmOurne and 27 others like this.
  10. Relinies-the-Wizard Lava Slime

This is basically what I was thinking when I made my shoddy post!
    alibulala likes this.
  11. Elder Merch Blazing Wheel

Gasses, that float upwards. For traps, etc.
    More wiring features.
    Different tame-able pets, (Or just found inside chests)
  12. NSwa Slimer

Space biome
    New Baddies
    New Armor/Ore
    More Prefix's for items
    Biome Specific Bosses
    More accessories!
    Vampires that turn to bats!
    Lasershark Chaingun
    Another main biome to combat against Hallowed and Corruption
    Also more variety in chests/new items for chests
  13. coolLane50 Cursed Man

an Even larger Map called EXTREME or Epic
  14. Emenia Green Slime

steam workshop compatability to allow the modding community to grow would be AWESOME.

Also everything that the console version has. Pretty please ;o;
  15. kirabook ModMin

I think the best thing would be alternatives to the current Hardmode. Current hardmode is a "Fantasy Good vs Evil" type of thing. Maybe another would be in space, "Aliens vs Space Bunnies" or in the deep ocean "Squids vs Octopi"

Many people complained about feeling constrained to using 1 type of "top" armor in hardmode when before, you had a few options that had their great benefits and their downsides. Hallowed armor needs that.

Other than that, I'd really like some more more village related content, for example, normal NPC's that show up when you start building a town like atmosphere *empty rooms/houses with certain requirements* I'd also like for there to be other settlements moving in somewhere on your map, for example, the Goblin army. Maybe there should be other species of similar intelligence.

Eh, just rambles.

The information below has been edited in from a later post:
    I'm not going to write a long thought out post about what I want in Terraria, things get lost in there wouldn't you agree?

Instead, I have a list of excellent threads that have great suggestions, much better than anything I could think of and things I think would fit into Terraria excellently. I'm sure you have already seen these before since they are so popular, but it wouldn't hurt to repeat them here.

Also, to everyone else, maybe it is a better idea to make a thread CORRECTLY LABELED in the suggestion section and just link to your thread here. Your ideas are forever getting lost in this thread you know? And I know that I don't read most of them, I doubt others are either. It's very overwhelming to anyone to post LAP's in one thread. So again, it's better to make a thread, link it here with a short and sweet summary about what's in said thread.

Now then, to my suggestions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I quite like everything in Dragonith's thread.
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/sprites-dragoniths-suggestions-thread.34231/

Also, most/all of their suggestions come with premade sprites! You'll probably have to ask their permission to officially use them in the game, but the sprites make the ideas much more tangible.

For example, there's cute little things like Bone Fish:

[IMG]
    Bone Fish
    Type: Undead
    Environment: Underworld
    Max Life: 35
    Damage: 30
    Defense: 2
    Speed: Fast
    Drops: (?)
    *With the removal of water in the Underworld, Goldfish and Piranhas alike cannot exist down there. However, that doesn't stop this undead relative to thrive in the lava lakes below...
    *You may ask, why would there be fish in lava (magma) lakes when lava can kill you immediately? Well, with the introduction of the Obsidian Skin Potion in 1.0.5., you can now swim in lava without fear of boiling to a crisp. This just leaves one threat left for you in the glowing fire: Bone Fish, ever so hungry Bone Fish.
    *If these things dropped anything, it would be roasted by the lava in a nano second. That doesn't say it doesn't drop anything however...
    *These fish swim in schools, and assault the player in a feeding frenzy method of attacking. Be careful!
    *Don't ya feel bad now for slaying all those Piranhas in the Surface Jungle?

I remember a while ago you teased about adding a turtle, so here you go.

[IMG]
    Turtle
    Type: Reptile
    Environment: Surface Water (Excluding Ocean)
    Max Life: 5
    Damage: N/A
    Defense: 5
    Speed: Slow
    Drops: Turtle Shell (1:1)
    *Another Bunny-esque mob. Unlike the easily killed furballs, Turtles don't technically "die". When all their health points go to 0, they retreat into their shell. If not picked up as an item, the turtle will pop back out momentarily. Dropping the item will allow the turtle to pop back out again.
    *Turtles have a very small jump height. Depite this, they can swim well in bodies of water.

Lastly, I'll throw the Rainbow slime in as the last suggestion from this user.

[IMG]
    Rainbow Slime
    Type: Mini-Boss
    Environment: Overworld, Floating Islands (?)
    Max Life: 1000
    Damage: 30
    Defense: 5
    Speed: Average
    Drops: Gel (1:1) (20-30), Feather (1:1) (5-10), (?)
    *Disclaimer: THIS WAS MADE BEFORE KING SLIME WAS RELEASED. Knowing this, I decided to tweak it a bit to fit its own niche. Also I don't mind if this wasn't implemented due to there already being a slime boss so to speak. You can see the original thread for this mini-boss in my signature.
    *Original sprite by A Flying Knight, tweaked a bit by me: [link]
    *Like King Slime, Rainbow Slime attacks in a similar pattern. Unlike King Slime however, it is more "flighty", meaning Rainbow Slime has a higher jump than his majesty. In addition to having a higher jump, Rainbow Slime can "flutter" about to attempt to land on the player. Rainbow Slime will spawn 5 slimes (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple) during every 100 damage dealt to it battle. Also note that Rainbow Slime has half of King Slime's stats, making this battle possibly easier than the king. Think of their relationship like the Mario Brothers, Luigi being Rainbow Slime and Mario being King Slime. XD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, we have phubans stuff. It seems you already have taken a few things from his thread unless it was just coincidence.
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/sprites-suggestions-from-a-fellow-indie-dev.24841/

I like his seasons suggestion most from his thread, one of the few things not in the game from his thread. ;)

Seasons and Weather Effects

I noticed that this was already something that the developers were thinking about. I think that a game like Terraria would benefit greatly from having seasons/weather effects in addition to a day/night cycle. Imagine a stormy summer day, or a quiet winter night. Or perhaps a burning autumn sunset... The only question is how would these seasons be handled? Would they cycle? How quickly? I imagine it would be something much shorter than our cycle. Perhaps every 10 game days the season would change with an announcement, "Spring is here!" etc? I imagine the seasons themselves would be purely aesthetic, but perhaps some of them would boast unique events and functions.

Summer - Basically what the game looks like right now; sunny, flourishing vegetation, little to no weather effects save for the occasional rainstorm.

Autumn - When Autumn arrives, all top-world greenery becomes shades of brown, orange, and yellow. Leaves fall from trees (perhaps even acorns). Rains sometimes.

Winter - The tiles shift to snow-covered, and a gentle snow particle begins to fall all over the overworld. The sky is usually grayish white and it never rains.

Spring - All greenery would turn a lighter shade, and rain would fall frequently.

Rain - Rain would be a consistent weather effect through all seasons except winter, with lightning being an accompanying effect of summer rain (see below). When raining, the sky would fade to a darker grayish color and semi-transparent rain drop effects would fall. This effect would last for a random duration of time; perhaps a whole day or only for a few moments

Lastly, we have the ever so popular Endlings boss ideas. They're all great ideas.
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/ends-boss-concept-gallery-suggestatorium.19379/

In Terraria's current state, I think either Tundrantula or Hell Beast would be best. Tundrantula could be a way to bring a snowy biome into a world that doesn't have snow. (unless you add weather). Hell Beast could be a great Hardmode boss. Their third boss, Pumpkin Litch, can be similar to Santa Clause, only showing up around the Halloween/Fall holidays.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Jenosis, thyago, Broth and 67 others like this.
  16. LestatV3 Squirrel

Map generation options?
    New dimension? Portals connecting different maps/servers?
  17. Kage World Feeder

More bosses.
    Lots more armour.
    The bosses have a new tier maybe past hardmode.
    More accessories......New set of wings maybe in a set!
  18. Redigit Developer

Intelligent rambles! Thanks for your input.
  19. daleksax Fungi Bulb

Adamantite bricks, and more wiring mechanics, I feel as though wiring is a very shallow thing in current terraria and could really be fleshed out more.
  20. Raucent Squirrel

i'd like to see demonite walls for an underground town/eerie lighting