PC Something about a possible PC update.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Redigit, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Loki ISP Moderator

Great discussion - so many ideas....Red is going to have to use text analytics to pull out the most prevalent. ;)

First, I'll re-ask my question of the modders - what ONE thing from your mods would you incorporate...and, if it were lifted over with only credit given (I.e. no financial reward), would you ok it?

Second....a few other thoughts this morning:
    Add a reflection or blocking mechanic to both mobs and the player. Right now it's still everything hits, boss tries to collide with or shoot you, etc.

Spice things up a bit in the combat - focus on smarter not just numbers. Enemies with weak points or whom require stages to beat - or maybe even collaborative efforts.

Environmental attacks and weapons - for the player and the bosses.

Some/any way - even minor - to connect console and the PC game....or at least the accounts.

Finally, I just want to remind folks (so glad it hasn't really happened) that this is not the place to discuss Reds past decision nor express your feelings about it. Other threads exist for that if you so choose. Rather, we ask that you embrace this for what it is...if there were (possibly, maybe) an update...what would we add? Again, with only a few posts to the exception, that is exactly what has gone on. So, keep it up!

(If things do wander down that road, such posts will be viewed very narrowly)
    Gmodlol61 likes this.
  2. thestalkinghead Cursed Man

but if it was a weapon that used either ammo or magic it would no longer be a glitch to make liquid, it would be a feature, and actually thinking about it a block making tool (and what i meant by any block was his choice not necessaries the ability to make any type of block) it is pretty pointless but so was the soil mover tool so why not have more weird useless tools
  3. Kettle Green Slime

I think it would be really cool if you could make the hallowed and corrupted zones interact with each other. The mobs would attack each other if the biomes were close enough. Perhaps make it so players can align themselves with the corruption or the hallow, giving player bound benefits such as mob neutrality in that zone or special weapons/items/merchants. Had a really great time with the game so far but it feels like it could be fleshed out so much more!
    Gmodlol61 likes this.
  4. How about an item that sucks water? the item can be used to spray out water tiles and possibly do damage (think aqua sceotor) lazyyy
  5. Krinksink Green Slime

Right I'm going to just keep is simple

Red....you know all those ideas you had before you...you know.....ditched us.........why don't you just continue with that.

Taken from one of your older threads

"In the long term, we will not just be adding content, but new mechanics as well. Some of the ideas the we have been playing around with are:
    • Pure PvP servers with team based objectives. Worlds will be generated before every match. Imagine a CTF server where towers are automatically created on either side of the map. Players can fight it out on the surface, or try to tunnel into the other tower.
    • Adding sloped/inclined tiles to make the world smoother.
    • New harder world types to continue game progression (Ex: Alien plants, alternate dimensions, evil worlds, etc.)
    • Enemy factions that will move into your world, and build their own city. You can slaughter them while they are weak, or let them build up their strength to get better rewards.
    • More events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, more/improved invasions, etc..
    • Weather: Seasons, snow, floods, etc..
    • Farming, and stamina system that gives a bonus to player stats.
    • Mechanics for making traps and devices.
    Terraria has endless possibilities, and there is still a lot more that we want to do with it. In the meantime, please be patient while we get the last few kinks worked out"

Anyway since your doing this I think it's safe to say you can't leave Terraria behind, you want to but you can't. I don't know why you just didn't say you wanted to take some time off then come back to it when you felt like it. Wouldn't of that been so much simpler

Oh and by the way I would like to see ALL the new content coming to the console version for the PC one
    Gmodlol61 likes this.
  6. Kebrian Green Slime

Yeah. Linux and Mac versions should make some additional players and money for you. And steam is already on those platforms. Problem is just rewriting it from Net Framework and Xna to Mono (so you can stay with C#).
  7. Redigit Developer

I think I have a lot more reading today, it blew up last night! There are a lot of requests so far that I am very interested in pursuing ... And a lot of my own ideas that I would rather not give away at this point. :p
  8. Harkniir Cursed Man

What about Corrupt bosses? You could have more bad guys in general, really.
    Do you remember the Possessed Hammer in Underground corruption? That could be part of a Corrupt weapon and armor set, hell, why not add biome bonuses?
  9. Dogat Giant Worm

I think that your own ideas will be the most exciting. And the pet turtle.
    lord_vinvis likes this.
  10. Hersh Kataria Squirrel

I've had these ideas for a long time, which I posted more than a year ago. And it looks like my Drills idea is now in the game - maybe they saw my post and thought it was a good idea?! :D :D :D But theres still some more ideas which I still may be worth looking at:

Snipers
    A gun type weapon which shoots extremely powerful shots but is quite slow and shoots one shot at a time. There could be a scope which is just like a black background with a circle in the middle and is aiming at the 2D player. Heres a really high quality photoshop picture to help:
    [IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Obviously it won't be as bad as that as everything will be black except for a small circle. There could also proper crosshairs as well :p It would be really fun for PvP

Fruit Trees
    If you can't find mushrooms or your getting too high, why not have some fruit? This is a basic idea as you can have simple apple trees which give a bit of HP but maybe you could make stuff like Apple Pie which you can make on a cookery table. There can be different types of fruit trees and you can make different food recipes. This can lead on to many other new ideas like wheat for bread and bread for toast, etc. You can also have a small chance of getting a fruit sapling from each tree which you can plant to make another tree or something.

Tameable Pets
    Bunnies are cute but it would even cuter if they could be your pet! (NEVERMIND, THESE ARE IN THE GAME NOW) You could feed them carrots or a fruit from my fruit tree idea and then it could tag along with you. Maybe it could help defend you! There could be dogs, cats, and many more!

Parachutes (LOOKING BACK AT THIS IDEA, IT ISNT THAT GOOD...)
    What happens when you don't have a lucky horse shoe and your stuck on a floating island? Parachutes will save you. you could jump off with the parachute in your accesories and then you can glide smoothly and swiftly across the map! This can lead onto other transport and stuff like those wing glider things or planes, etc.

Fireflies
    I got this idea while listening to 'Fireflies' by Owl City. It could be a mob that spawns at night and gives a small glow. It just sounds and looks cool :p

Drill (WHICH ARE NOW IN THE GAME YAY!)
    Pickaxes may get tiring or boring. Drills could dig through dirt, rocks, ore, obsidian and corrupt stone in a split second. It looks more fun and interesting! Maybe it could be a hat accessory and there could be a drill helmet?!

Multiple Arrows
    Wouldn't it be cool if you could shoot multiple arrows at once? Maybe a potion, accessory, armour or bow could let you do this? Just a random idea which could be useful.

More furniture
    I feel like there isn't much furniture you can put in a house. A simple idea which I'm sure should be implemented in the game, is the ability to put down the fish bowl on a table. Maybe there could be bookshelves, wardrobes, desks, sofas, TVs, etc.

Anyway thats just some ideas I had more than a year ago, some things have changed in the game, i.e. theres more furniture now, so my idea of more furniture may not matter.
    Oh and, the link to where I posted this is http://www.terrariaonline.com/threa...s-drills-multiple-arrows-and-furniture.43452/ just so you can look at peoples feedback on them and their ideas as well.
    Hope you see this Red! Not all of these are a good idea now that I look back at it, but hopefully you like at least one of them! :D LOVE YA ALL!
    --
    Hersh_K
  11. King gecko Green Slime

Man, a thing that would really help with making contraptions would be layered wires and colored wires, The things ones could make with those would be immense also, by layered wire i meant more than one wire per block
  12. MrRudi Engine Dev

This is not that straightforward, we looked at using Mono before to port XNA code and it simply doesn't work like a snap of the finger (far from it actually). This beside the fact that none of our technical questions got answered (we might have caught them at just a bad time...I'm not pointing fingers) made us very careful about "Oh we'll just port it to Mono, done deal".
    Kebrian likes this.
  13. Overlite Green Slime

I don't know if this has been said (didn't manage to read through all of the pages before my patience ran out and begged me to post this) but
    An easy mode for us PvE nubbinses?that doesn't effect PvP?
  14. Skills? Instead of the normal swinging sword there could be this animation (or something) that inflicts a lot of damage in a small amount of time. Of course, it would be mana consuming. eg. Sword Skill - 25 hit (SWO FTW) / Pentarrow - 5 arrows 1 shot (consumes 1 bullet). Also for magic weapons, I was thinking of Mana Overdose, a debuff you get when consuming too much mana. The colour from the screen fades and an outbreak of magic bursts from the mage. The mage is momentarily unable to use magic and the mana reaches zero. The said outbreak (think of the sonic rainbow from MLP) causes minor damage and heavy knockback.

Also, Cobalt should only reduce knockback not completely neutralize it.
  15. PowerCosmic Werewolf

And by that, you mean spiders, right? :cool:
    Loki ISP likes this.
  16. WhiteZero Green Slime

Well since Tiy left, how would you go about putting in new art? Hiring a new artist?
    NeyoPRO likes this.
  17. Redigit Developer

Spoilers..
    WhiteZero and lord_vinvis like this.
  18. mastercrfater99 Yellow Slime

well, one thing i'd like to see for the group of us that perfer to use mana weapons is mabie a wizard suit to go along with the wizard hat that would have a set bunus of something like 50% mana cost reduction, though based on that, it'd be really tough to get... also, a reforging system where you can decide to either reforge like how it is now, or at a greater cost, choose the adjective from the list of useable adjectives for that item. a lot to read, i know, but i am interested to see what the update has in store if it should ever come. thanks for your consideration :p
  19. Endulos Green Slime

I have 2 things.

First:
    I'd like to see an improvement to the craft grid.

If you keep all your benches and stuff nearby, and a large amount of crafting materials in your inventory, it can be tedious to make something. Like, for example the Table Saw. If you have a lot of iron in your inventory, you have to scroll down past all the weapons and armor, and toilets, etc to get to the chains, then back UP to the wood stuff.

1) Expansion of the craft list from 1 long list, to 3 lists at the same time.

So that instead of seeing:
    Item A
    Item B
    Item C
    Item D
    Item E

It will instead be displayed like this:

Item A - Item B - Item C
    Item D - Item E

2) A filter similar to the Guide. An additional box where I could put, say, a single block of Wood into the box, and then it will ONLY display items that can be crafted using Wood.

Second thing:
    Allow us to buy an ENTIRE STACK of goods from merchants using shift + right click instead of having to hold right click
  20. Kebrian Green Slime

Then always is C++ :p I'm programmer but i don't have experience with C# and never seen Terraria code so i was just guesing. But my friend is writing something like terraria clone in java :)