Started a Terraria server, got DDOS'd

Discussion in 'In-Game Support Archive' started by dmlew, Jun 19, 2011.

1. dmlew

dmlew Green Slime

Hi all,

I just bought the 4pack for Terraria on steam for my buddies and I. I got the server up and running using the Host & Play in the game. It worked for about 15 or so minutes before the internet totally crashed. We were getting DDOS'd from the port that Terraria opened (7777). After doing some research, the hack was attacking our external IP because my server information was posted on http://en.stats4game.com/

All we want to do is play LAN, no online, or mods or anything like that. Is there a way to host an "offline" Terraria server, or one without it posting the server information online?

2. T3G Silas

T3G Silas Green Slime

If you're hosting a LAN server you do not need to forward your ports.
    Having an active firewall would protect you from simple DDOSing, however if you don't want outsiders joining make sure you don't post the IP publicly.

3. dmlew

dmlew Green Slime

Thanks for the reply.

How would I go about hosting a LAN server? All I'm doing is clicking Host & Play. Is there a dedicated server client for use without having to buy another copy of Terraria?

I looked into that website I posted earlier about my external IP address getting out into the public. As it turns out, it was from when I hosted a Brink game and that somehow posted it. Perhaps the DDOS was some freak coincidence.

4. T3G Silas

T3G Silas Green Slime

Navigate to your Terraria installation folder(Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Terraria)
    There you will find an executable named 'terrariaserver.exe', use this exe at all times. It allows you to have more control over your server that Host & Play does not grant you(commands).

To stop people from the outside from joining/finding your server is changing the port, or unforwarding the forwarded port(assuming 7777 is forwarded). Like you said, it might have been a coincidence. For now, don't worry about it too much, just change the port number(it prompts you to do so when starting the server) and give that number to the person on your LAN network.

Since you are playing on a LAN(on a router yes?), just disconnect the internet to be safe from any DDOS attacks until people forget about your IP(Doing this is if you're worried of course).

5. Fenriradra

Fenriradra Green Slime

As far as "stopping" outside connections, what has already been said covers it, but there's always options for you.
    For example; rummaging your port forwarded options and closing the ones that are getting attacked, is probably one of the easiest ones to do.
    Simply unplugging the internet cable while you play is another.
    Preventing the case of it happening by making sure you aren't listed somewhere online (and thus, you should think twice before posting your IP publicly anywhere, even on these forums).

The latter case of how to get it to LAN up that you're probably asking yourself::
    How do you use an IP address if you unplug the internet?
    Simply put, many routers set up an internal network IP system - even stand alone computers without a router do it, these days the OS kind of expects a network to go through for internet, instead of a direct connection.

The short answer is kind of technical, but it should work regardless.
    1) Every computer (can) refer to itself as an IP, even if it's not connected to the internet. This is almost always 192.168.1.1, but if it's different, only the last two sets of numbers can change (192.168.x.x)

2) Routers function off this, and can/will even assign a number to themselves (most of the time, this is something like 192.168.0.255)

3) Any computer connected to the network through the same means (like a router and ethernet cables) will get assigned an IP address for that internal network.
    Your router is already 'using' 192.168.0.255, in this example.
    Your primary home computer might use 192.168.0.1.
    Your laptop connecting via wifi might use 192.168.0.2.
    Your friend-A's machine might use 192.168.0.3
    Your friend-B's machine might use 192.168.0.4.
    and so on, for each device connecting through that router.

Therefore, if friend-B is the one hosting the multiplayer, you'd type in 192.168.0.4 into the IP box. You wouldn't even need the internet cable plugged in (although Steam might throw a hissie fit after a while). Presuming he had set up his firewall to let the port specified to allow traffic; or the application to allow traffic; you should be good to go.

By extension, you wouldn't need to post your IP anywhere that a potential attacker could see ;; at least not an IP that would matter (most are intelligent enough to know 192.168.x.x IP's are internal network ones).