tAPI tAPI General Discussion + Progress Info

Discussion in 'Working in Progress Mods' started by Shockah, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xedgeofreal Angel Statue

Is it possible and will it be possible with TAPI to give weapons damage types other than melee, ranged, and magic, such as Light or Darkness that can function with armor/accessory/prefix bonuses and have toolTips unique to that type.
  2. scooterboot9697 Lava Slime

Custom damage prefixes... That could help with so many mod possibilities! :cool:

EDIT: I also think it'd be cool if there was the added possibility to add two different types of damage on the same item. For instance, you have a gun that deals 15 ranged damage, but also deals 5 fire damage (kinda like in Warframe).
    hellow27 and Zer0 Th3 Fall3n like this.
  3. Tuxlar The Groom

Any damage hook would make this easy.
    Tatsu011 and Shockah like this.
  4. LestatV3 Zombie

Light Magic, Dark Magic, Fire Magic... bring us all of the damage! :D
    hellow27 and Zer0 Th3 Fall3n like this.
  5. Poggle566 Slimed Zombie

Magic magic.
    Sirion and Zer0 Th3 Fall3n like this.
  6. Johnson120 Cave Bat

... Anywho damage types would be great! But would it be possible to have prefixs using those types of damage types! Like legendary Terra Blade 25+ light damage Something like that..

Zer0 Th3 Fall3n likes this.
  7. Electroflux Blazing Wheel

Are we going to need to learn coding as shown in the example pictures? TConfig was super easy for me to learn because (well, most of the basic scripts were provided on the wiki) it was more coherent and easy to understand. I'm not as sufficient in other languages.
    Poggle566 and Sea like this.
  8. yotmam12 Cursed Man

i think tapi will work like tconfig, only it'll use JSONs instead of INIs
  9. NiraExecuto Corrupt Goldfish

And you have to make a ModBase. So you have to code a teeny-tiny bit.
  10. yotmam12 Cursed Man

I'm guessing it'd be things like your mod's name and stuff?
  11. Shockah Grandson of the Wizard

Yes, you need a ModBase. For now at least. Yes, it's required only for the mod information (mod name, version, author, description). Yes, it could use just JSON, but for now it's only from code.
    hellow27 and Kalcipher like this.
  12. yotmam12 Cursed Man

i've been told that it's JSON, didn't you say anything about it before?
  13. Geneen Illuminant Slime

In my opinion JSON looks more complicated than INIs which will make inexperiences modders want to learn more about coding before engaging in a mod, like myself. Looking forward to this tAPI guys, hurry up t-t.
  14. Seud Squirrel

JSON is really simple to use and to understand. It's nothing more than a set of key/values. It's just like a phone book : You map something to something, the only difference is that instead of a phone number you can put anything : Another name, several phone numbers, and even other phonebooks.
    Shockah and NiraExecuto like this.
  15. Chaos Assassin Demon Eye

Cant wait... Do the devs have any idea when it will be released, like before christmas or after?
  16. NiraExecuto Corrupt Goldfish

It's been said that it'll be released in 2013. Though, if there's another christmas update for Terraria, I guess it might take a bit longer.
  17. Yoraiz0r The Wizard

A few quick statements and then a small progress report...

I did not post on this thread for a while on purpose, got a bit tired of dealing with every single misdirection it takes.

Custom damage types will not be 'straight out' supported in tAPI since there is simply no 'clean' way to add support for them with every mod and there's no automagical coding that would make it always work the way the modder imagines it to be, if you want custom damage types you can always add them yourself in your own mod. (and in the circumstance you want others to use it, make them depend on that mod / make optional detection for it.)

tAPI uses .NET framework 4.0 , we never plan to drop support for Windows XP users.

As for progress so far, while it has been slow, we finished fixing the small stuff related to the 1.2.1.2 update so its now functional, and almost all the menus are completely done by this point...here are a few screenshots.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]

In summary the entire menu is a lot 'faster to use' than the vanilla one, with all the appearance colors not requiring you to go through multiple menus , and world creation applies to the same logic.

In addition , world generation can actually use the seed feature now, and as expected it will generate the same world twice if you generate two worlds with the same seed.

(for those worrying about the delete player button - the confirm deletion menu still exists , but you don't need to click delete and then the thing to delete separately anymore)

Aaand I'm off to bed.
  18. Chaos Assassin Demon Eye

Looks great, cant wait!
  19. Kage World Feeder

Thats some great progress and reminds me I need to get back to spriting for my mod I am preping sprites for
  20. yotmam12 Cursed Man

so... estimated release time?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.