TehModAPI ~ Run multiple mods at once ~ kMod ~ Dynamic Textures ~ ResoChanger

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by iPie uDie, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombiek3nny

zombiek3nny Green Slime

yes i did buy the game...if this is supposed to happen for people who didnt buy the game, then why the **** is it showing up for me?

2. wsensor

wsensor Yellow Slime

Its not that people think that other people did not buy the game its just that there are a lot of people who have not bought the game that keep asking for help on the forums. There are tons of questions throughout the forums from people who refuse to buy the game but think they deserve help for their problems.

1st: Make sure you install with the installer from the 1st page.
    - Make sure its installed into the main terraria folder in the steam folders.
    - Steam is usually installed at "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\terraria" on 32bit operating systems.
    - Steam is usually installed at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\terraria" on 64bit operating systems.
    2nd: Extract Deathmax's fixed version (includes steam check) to the terraria folders.
    - Deathmax's Patch (1.1.2 / version 3)
    - Notice: You need to replace the original TehModApi file with this one.
    3rd: If that does not work open steam and verify integrity of terraria's game files.
    Final: If none of this works than there is an issue with one of the following.
    - User Error.
    - Computer Compatibility. (Should be none but meh it happens.)
    - Illegal copy of terraria.

3. JDogOLuck

JDogOLuck Green Slime

Well that's the kicker with non-official mod support. It's very cool to know the Re-Logic dev team is letting custom wrapping/modification of their software happen. So far as to have these apps featured on the front page. But at this time, none of it is official. So stuff like file verification and official updates openly cause problems.

I've heard the re-logic team has considered adding official mod support at some stage or another. But if they do-it'll be as wrappers or texture replacement. It's a tricky thing to pull off because you have to consider multiplayer situations. Right now mod's that use multiplayer assume everyone is using the same mod client. An official solution deals with conflicts of different texture packs. So mods would have to be either disabled, or uploadable from one "server source".

(Personally, I think it's worth it though. It allows the community to craft the game way beyond what the team could ever have hoped for. Especially on servers you could already turn it into a Zelda, Fallout 3 or Oriental China setting with ease.)

Still, many of the game's greater failings are fixed or smoothed over by now. I don't know when they'll chose to update again. It would shock me if they didn't, but it's not a dire priority anymore. They have every right to try their hand at different and newer games. But an official mod intigration of some kind is worth hoping for. (Personally I'm hoping for multiple NPC sets as I describe on the suggestion forum.)

4. SpiffyCreeper

SpiffyCreeper Slimed Zombie

I want to use this mod again but its not 1.1.2

5. 7UR7L3

7UR7L3 Undead Viking

Actually, there is a version for 1.1.2 on page 41. Run the version on the OP, then the page 41 one.

6. Ninjaman222

Ninjaman222 Cursed Man

Hey, when I start up the new updated version, it only shows Custom Games. Help please.

7. Kyle873

Kyle873 Devourer

I figured I might as well drop back in here and say what I need to say, instead of leaving everyone in the dark.

First off, bad news. iPie uDie has abandoned the project and moved on to other things. We discussed it and he believes that Terraria's modding community is too dead and immature/lazy to keep working on it. I would certainly continue working on kMod, as it was for my own personal use and I still want to do version 2. However, without his new GUI, kMod is going to be stalled indefinitely.

I also have lost a lot of motivation to even bother with Terraria myself. in the past 2-3 months 3 major projects I've been interested in have died: TMA, ZidoMod, and ADRMod. I'm about ready to give up as well, personally.

I'll ask him about open-sourcing TMA and putting it up on GitHub or something, but don't count on it. He's extremely anal about his code and despises leeching, so don't be too shocked if that doesn't happen. For the record, I cannot continue TMA. I don't currently have the knowledge or time to continue his work, and I'm sure there are much more skilled people who could continue it.

Also, as a footnote, another reason he claimed that he gave up was because there was nobody using it and very few mods to begin with, and even though there was a lot of interest shown in the beginning, almost nothing came of it.

Edit:
    Quick chat log, just in case anybody thinks I'm bullshitting, and to show permission that you may decompile the source at will. However, I will still get the original source. While going through my log I realized he actually OFFERED it to me and I completely missed the message -_-

Code:
    [15/01/2012 2:08:29 AM] Kyle: hey
    [18/01/2012 1:18:00 AM] Kyle: so
    [18/01/2012 1:18:03 AM] Kyle: new Terraria patch
    [18/01/2012 1:18:12 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): hmm?
    [18/01/2012 1:19:00 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): when?
    [18/01/2012 1:22:51 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): mmm
    [18/01/2012 1:23:13 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): tbh dude
    [18/01/2012 1:23:18 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): i dont even feel like continuing tma..
    [18/01/2012 1:23:28 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): just doesnt feel worth the effort
    [18/01/2012 1:23:52 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): u me and brandon were the only ones that even used it
    [18/01/2012 1:24:00 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): just dont see the point..
    [18/01/2012 1:26:54 AM] Kyle: so then what about TMA's code?
    [18/01/2012 1:27:31 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): idk
    [18/01/2012 1:27:35 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): anyone can decompile it
    [18/01/2012 1:27:40 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): its not obfuscated or anything
    [18/01/2012 1:31:40 AM] Kyle: yeah
    [18/01/2012 1:32:10 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): idk
    [18/01/2012 1:32:14 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): people can have it if they want it
    [18/01/2012 1:33:07 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): as much as i enjoyed the idea of it at first
    [18/01/2012 1:33:14 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): terraria just doesnt have the community for such a thing
    [19/01/2012 7:57:22 AM] Kyle: there are like 6 posts like OMG CONTINUE TMA :O:O
    [19/01/2012 7:57:31 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): meh..
    [19/01/2012 7:57:32 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): idc
    [19/01/2012 7:57:34 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): and no
    [19/01/2012 7:57:37 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): they just want an update
    [19/01/2012 7:59:05 AM] Kyle: you're done with it aren't you
    [19/01/2012 7:59:19 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): yeah...
    [19/01/2012 7:59:23 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): feels too much like a waste of time
    [19/01/2012 8:00:01 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): maybe if people used it to create their own mods
    [19/01/2012 8:00:14 AM] Kyle: yeah that's true
    [19/01/2012 8:00:15 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): not just to use ours
    [19/01/2012 8:00:25 AM] Kyle: nobody's really created anything except me you and that other guy, and maybe that projectile one
    [19/01/2012 8:00:41 AM] iPie uDie (Josh): yeah...

7UR7L3 and Blaze959 like this.
  8. Blaze959

Blaze959 Doctor Bones

Thank you for telling us about the situation.

I just hope someone will keep it working with new terraria patches.

9. Lunatrius

Lunatrius Cave Bat

He can't publish the code. TMA is actually nothing but a normal Terraria client with mod support.

10. Kyle873

Kyle873 Devourer

Oh really? Explain -Removed for content- then.

I've heard that Red doesn't care much about redistributed code, but under no circumstances can the content be redistributed.

11. Garneac

Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

Well, that sucks.

I was under the impression that iPie uDie wanted people to use mods, like yours? Not just to make them. In any case, I've got tConfig for making mods.

Still, it's too bad the project's dead, although I'm grateful for what you two accomplished! Was fun while it lasted.

Best of luck in anything else you do.

12. Lunatrius

Lunatrius Cave Bat

Some time ago (probably months) he did care if I recall correctly. If he changed his opinion (or I have the wrong info), just ignore my previous post.

13. Kyle873

Kyle873 Devourer

We've both tried asking nicely for permission to both use their code or to distribute the mod, but we were just ignored, so we did it anyway. If they bitch about it now, it's their own fault for not answering us sooner and saying no.

14. Jeckel

Jeckel Little Red Fire Ant Staff Member

I'm afraid you heard wrong. Red has made no statements that change the rule against distributing the decompiled source code. Sense none of the moderators seem to have much programming experience, I don't think they have the needed skills to go through each mod and check if it complies with the rules, but this is obvious enough that I don't think they could miss it.

While it sucks that modding is only semi-somewhat-officially supported, I would advise removing the source link if it does in fact redistribute the decompiled source files and perhaps release them as a difference patch instead.

In the cases of copyrights and software licensing, you can't take silence as permission, it just doesn't work that way. The current stances on modding are not ideal, but if we are ever to have true, official modding support, we just have to deal with them for now. :)

confuzzledyma and Lunatrius like this.
  15. Kyle873

Kyle873 Devourer

Because you totally talked to Red about it. Oh wait, no you didn't.

From what I saw from conversations in IRC and Teamspeak, he really doesnt't care enough to bother going after people who are trying to improve the game and modding for others.

If he tells me to C&D, then yes, I will. Otherwise, yes, I will take his silence as permission, because everyone else does and they haven't gotten any form of notice from him regarding it.

16. kirabook

kirabook Ex-Min Staff Member

Whether Red cares or not, he made it clear that the source code or anything related to it is not to be posted on this forum. Please do not do it again. Thanks.

17. Kyle873

Kyle873 Devourer

Well, in that case, TMA is completely done, and so am I.
    Bye.

18. Ninjaman222

Ninjaman222 Cursed Man

19. 7UR7L3

7UR7L3 Undead Viking

Well this sucks.:(
    Anyone else wanna take on the best mod there ever was? Deathmax?
    I am now depressed.

20. Kyttike

Kyttike Green Slime

Please upgrade it to 1.1.2 and then make a final statement, since i am actually making a mod on my own but since i started learning programming 2 weeks ago it goes slow and steady but i have so many ideas i want to fulfill and this was my chance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.