Pre 1.2 Terraria class guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by SlimeSlayer, Sep 14, 2011.

?

How much do you like this guide?

Alot! I love using classes now! 18 vote(s) 51.4%
Wow dude... This is crap 17 vote(s) 48.6%
  1. SlimeSlayer Green Slime

Welcome to the terraria character build! In terraria, there are stat boosting items, but these only give a small boost in one area. With this guide, you can make a character based on a class system who takes full advantage of boosting items.

To start out, we look at a basic class. I call it the explorer. Their armor consists of Magma set or a shadow set. These provide a good boost but with no drawbacks. His accessories are not at all controlled by his class, and they should have a bow, melee, pick and axe.(all classes should have these as they are what starts a terrarian and therefore are the base gameplay.) These are a balanced class who are even in every aspect. This person has gameplay, potions, and everything else completely based on the user.

The next class, the fighter, will strive for close combat and brutaly hitting anything. There armor should be a magma set, and accessories should include feral claws, obsidian skull, and cobalt shield. The other two are your choice. They should have a flail of some kind, a broad sword and/or a short sword. These people have very high offense and defense, and this should be taken advantage of. Potions should include ironskin potion and battle potion.

The next class, the caster, should have a set of jungle armor, but due to the difficulty of getting these meteor armor should be considered. There accessories should include band of star power and band of regeneration. There weapons should include a demon scythe, a magic missle/flamelash, and a starfury. This class has very high mana and has diverse combat styles, but low defense. Therefore should keep a large stack of health potions. Good potions to use are magic regeneration potions and magic power potions.

The next class, The marksmen, should have a set of necro armor. There accessories should include a band of regeneration, and some navigational assist such as rocket boots or a cloud in a bottle. There weapons should include a gun of some kind, preferably a phoenix blaster and a minishark, and the highest tier bow u can get. If you get a molten bow, make all your arrows normal to fully utilize the flame aspect. You should also have a melee, but don't sacrifice speed for strength. We are after all a ranged class with a marksmen. This class should try to hang back and fire away from afar. Good potions include archer potion and iron skin potion

The next class, my favorite, the scout. His goal is to scout out territory. There armor should be a shadow set, and their accessories should include a cloud in a bottle, rocket boots, shiny red balloon, lucky horse shoe, and Hermes boots. Their weapons arn't important, though u need some, including a pick and a axe and a magic mirror. The should, if venturing out into enemy territory, simply go as fast as they can to figure it out while using invisibility potion. Good potions are night owl potion, invisibility potion, and swiftness potion

The next class, the ninja, should have a set of shadow armor. There accessories should include Hermes boots, band of regeneration, and a feral claw. There weapons should include the murmasa, and shurukin or Poison throwing knives, and of course a ninja vanity is a great addon. This class should try using guerilla tactics while using invisibility potion. Good potions are night owl potion, invisibility potion, and swiftness potion

The next class, the warlock, is a mix between the caster and the fighter. There armor should have a molten chest, and jungle/meteor head and legs. There accessories should be a combination of both classes, preferably leaning towards caster accessories, and the bands of starpower and regeneration are required. Weapons should include the nights edge and a flamelash/magic missile. A demon scythe is good to have, but is not necessary. This class has a mixed combat for versitility but lacks in extreme melee ability. This class should use heavy ironskin potions and magic power potions

The next class is a mix between the marksman and caster. They currently lack a name.(if you get a name, leave a comment stating your characters username and I will pm you a server IP you can visit for 5 platinum coins from me.) Their armor should be meteor armour due to its ability to subside spacegun mana and enhance magic damage. Your accessories should have a band of starpower, and some marksmen accessories. The weapons need any spell weapon u could want and a spacegun. A bow is nice, but the spacegun allows for no mana and unlimited ammo. This class should use a magic damage potion.

The next class, the rouge, requires some stealthy tactics. This class utilizes a high melee attack, but also keeps the ability to run and attack from afar. This class should have a set of shadow armor/magma armor. There accesories should include feral claws, a cobalt shield, and depending on your armor set, obsidian skull/anklet of the wind. There weapons should include murmasa, a flail, poison throwing knives, and a bow. Arrows are preferably hell fire, but if a molten bow is equipped normal arrows are fine. This class should try to only run away when the threat is to much. They should try to use the invisibility potion but using a ironskin potion is also a good bet.

The next class, the archer, is for a more experienced marksmen. As the name suggestes, rather than have guns, they use archery skills. There weapons should include a bow, a flail, a boomarang class weapon(chakram is a boomarang) and a nights edge/murmasa. There armor should be necro armor, and acssesories should include anglet and and anklet of the wind, an additional navigation enhancer,and if at all possible a ivy whip. They should act like a normal marksmen but with more caution. Potions should be of course, archery potions, and ironskin potion.

Another class, is the gunslinger. He fights with guns, making him a marksmen split off. He should have a Phoenix blaster, a mini shark, and a star cannon. A star cannon is not that good for a new players because of its ammo but it holds the position of highest damaging weapon so it should be considered. His armor should consistent of necro. His accessories should have a band of regeneration and perhaps a navigation enhancer. Agian, acting like a normal marksmen and with the same potions as the archer minus the archery potion

Another good class is a split from the caster. He is called the Battle Mage. His armor should be a set of meteor armor as to give an advantage with the space gun. His weapons should include, as previously said, a spacegun, a light's bane, and a starfury. Some spells should be considered but the point of this class is to allow simpler combat rather than spells while still allowing the use of magic. This class should focus use with the starfury but if a starfury isn't useful the spacegun or the light's bane. Good potions are swiftness potion, magic regeneration potion, and magic power potion.

Another class, further split from the gunslinger, is the Spartan. This class uses heavy weaponry to blast through crowds. He should have a minishark, a star cannon, and a harpoon. A sunfury works comparably well but would force you to take more damage if not careful. Their armor can be necro, magma, or any combination of the two. If you decide to go with necro armor, bring lots of iron skin potions. If you choose magma armor, go with lots of archer potions. Accessories should include a band of regeneration, a cobalt shield, and Hermes boots. This class should just walk forward shooting at stuff. They have a very high damage but don't get cocky as so do other players. Stay at a range. Good potions to consider are ironskin potion and a swiftness potion.

This class is the other split from gunslinger. Its called the sniper. Now, all guns have dead accuracy so alot of shooting classes could be called a sniper but this class, like others, goes beyond weaponry. A sniper should have a space gun, a phoenix blaster, and all the ammo they can get. They should also keep a sword, preferably a murmasa or night's edge. Their armour should be necro armour, but meteor may help if mana is an issue. Accessories should include a band of regeneration, a cobalt shield, and a navigation enhancer. A good thing to keep is a ivy whip as it allows for better sniping spots. There is a mod that allows for you to see wider than usual, but I find that expanding the screen, not going full screen, works well also. Some good potions are the hunter potion and mana regeneration potion if using the space gun without meteor armor.

More classes will be added and feel free to leave suggestions in comments. If its good, it will go into the guide.(IN NEED OF POTION SUGGESTIONS) Now, some say these classes are cheap and overpowered but in reality these classes have drawbacks that even them out. Now anyone can make a more than one class to switch between them but say you were fighting skeletron, if it goes into head form and u want to go marksmen for the finish, you leave and come back and he's gone. There is no imbalance between classes other than the skill set of the people using them.
    Fen_Hydra likes this.
  2. SlimeSlayer Green Slime

I am aware a guide is out very similar to this, this is a more in depth guide that further delves into class builds. Feel free to use the other guide.
  3. ansar Green Slime

Hmm, some formatting might help the readability of your post.
  4. Fen_Hydra Green Slime

Formatted OP:
    Show Spoiler

Welcome to the terraria character build! In terraria, there are stat boosting items, but these only give a small boost in one area. With this guide, you can make a character based on a class system who takes full advantage of boosting items.

To start out, we look at a basic class. I call it the explorer. Their armor consists of Magma set or a shadow set. These provide a good boost but with no drawbacks. His accessories are not at all controlled by his class, and they should have a bow, melee, pick and axe.(all classes should have these as they are what starts a terrarian and therefore are the base gameplay.) These are a balanced class who are even in every aspect.

The next class, the fighter, will strive for close combat and brutaly hitting anything. There armor should be a magma set, and accessories should include feral claws, obsidian skull, and cobalt shield. The other two are your choice. They should have a flail of some kind, a broad sword and/or a short sword. These people have very high offense and defense, and this should be taken advantage of.

The next class, the caster, should have a set of jungle armor, but due to the difficulty of getting these meteor armor should be considered. There accessories should include band of star power and band of regeneration. There weapons should include a demon scythe, a magic missle/flamelash, and a starfury. This class has very high mana and has diverse combat styles, but low defense. Therefore should keep a large stack of potions.

The next class, The marksmen, should have a set of necro armor. There accessories should include a band of regeneration, and some navigational assist such as rocket boots or a cloud in a bottle. There weapons should include a gun of some kind, preferably a minishark, and the highest tier bow u can get. If you get a molten bow, make all your arrows normal to fully utilize the flame aspect. You should also have a melee, but not a really strong one. We are looking for speed with a marksmen.

The next class, my favorite, the scout. His goal is to scout out territory. There armor should be a shadow set, and their accessories should include a cloud in a bottle, rocket boots, shiny red balloon, lucky horse shoe, and Hermes boots. There weapons arnt important, though u need some, including a pick and a axe and a magic mirror.

The next class, the ninja, should have a set of shadow armor because there arnt any good speed enhancers. There accessories should include Hermes boots, band of regeneration, and 1-3 feral claws. There weapons should include the murmasa, and shurukin or Poison throwing knives, and of course a ninja vanity is a great addon.

The next class, the warlock, is a mix between the caster and the fighter. There armor should have a molten chest, and jungle/meteor head and legs. There accessories should be a combination of both classes, preferably leaning towards caster accessories, and the bands of starpower and regeneration are required. Weapons should include the nights edge and a flamelash/magic missile. A demon scythe is good to have, but is not necessary. This class has a mixed combat for versitility but lacks in extreme melee ability.

The next class is a mix between the marksman and caster. They currently lack a name.(if you get a name, leave a comment stating your characters username and I will pm you a server IP you can visit for 5 platinum coins from me.) Their armor should be meteor armour due to its ability to subside spacegun mana and enhance magic damage. Your accessories should have a band of starpower, and some marksmen accessories. The weapons need any spell weapon u could want and a spacegun. A bow is nice, but the spacegun allows for no mana and unlimited ammo.

More classes will be added and feel free to leave suggestions I'm comments. If its good, it will go into the guide. Now, some say these classes are cheap and overpowered but in reality these classes have drawbacks that even them out. Now anyone can make a more than one class to switch between them but say you were fighting skeletron, if it goes into head form and u want to go marksmen for the finish, you leave and come back and he's gone. There is no imbalance between classes other than the skill set of the people using them.

It looks pretty nice overall, I could only find a few small things to point out:

For the marksman, you mention that he should have a melee weapon, but "not a really strong one." Is there any reason for this? To me, it seems as if it only hurts the player. You also mention that a minishark is preferred. The DPS of a Phoenix Blaster is higher, is more effective against higher defense, and is, IMO, easier to get. The minishark consumes more ammo and costs quite a bit of money.

Also, for the warlock, I find it a little odd that you suggest splitting the armor. The developers, through set bonuses, make it so you are strongly encouraged to use only only one set of armor at a time. I would suggest using full jungle armor, but using accessories/buffs for melee, or vice versa.

Finally, for the ninja, you mention 1-3 feral claws when those don't stack, and aglets/anklets could also help with speed.

Of course, it's a great guide. I never thought of combining classes before. I'll have to try that out. :)

Ignoring the lack of formatting, it's one of the most useful guides I've found!
  5. SlimeSlayer Green Slime

Fen_Hydra, I'm taking your formatted version and making it the normal. If u want u can pm me ur username and I will give u 5 plat. Thx for being the constructive criticizer. About what you said about the warlock, his boost from a magma set would enhance his melee, not magic. but it has nice defense, so we add jungle and meteor for there magic enhancements. this class is meant to mix the two. what you said about the aglet, i hope to keep open as much accesories room as possible so others can use them for O.skulls and such
  6. OrangeSyrup Green Slime

Hey there, I saw your class guide, I enjoyed reading it, and I think I may have come up with a couple of names that might fit your marksman/caster class.

1. Sharpshooter
    2. Blaster

If you liked either of these, or even if you didn't, be sure to reply.

~OrangeSyrup
  7. Relinies-the-Wizard Bone Serpent

There should be split classes for Magician and Wizard. Magician uses Meteor for the damage, and Wizard uses Jungle for the extra mana. 2 considerably different classes, based only on the equipment.
    EDIT: Also, you should include suggested Buff Potions for each class. Preferably 2-3
  8. fallais Green Slime

Good guide:)

A name for the unnamed class: Arcane Ranger
  9. pokecatch Piranha

I'm a scout with molten armor.
    what.
    I normally don't do classes, but I'm one of the best hellstone miners in town. I need no class.
  10. Archdragon97 Green Slime

I have to say, to much.
    Alot of them are really similar and heavily depend on serious multiplayer usage and even then its not good.
    And alot of them also are just to specilised for a specific job to do and not useful if you find outself in a tight situation, for example i have a mage class that i always carry a sword on and its saved me alot where demon scythe's, waterbolts, spacegun, etc couldnt do it or if i didnt have mana where im tight and a sword holds off.
    Like your scout has a main goal of scouting out enemy territory, but if you can see them they can see you and theres no way to hide is there? its a nice idea, but it takes up cloud in a bottles, magic mirrors, etc, etc, etc, etc.
    Another thing about your scout is the stuff it uses:
    cloud in a bottle, rocket boots, shiny red balloon, lucky horse shoe, and Hermes boots.
    You have 3 things that do the same thing, the first 3 that is.
    Cloud in the bottle allows you to doublejump, but when you do jump again rocket boots kick in? and shiny red balloon is pointless because you have rocket boots to go both higher and faster?
    Lucky horseshoe and hermes boots are decent choices though, but the other 3 all collide.
    You dont even go into detail with how you accomplish things and what weapons and tools you should have.
    Again you do it with the caster, why is it good for jungle armour? why is meteor armour good? How are you meant to play it?

Yet again, with the marksman why is necro armour good? how do you play it? in none of these class's you dont explain in any of them how to play it. Back to the archer, you dont explain the types of arrows you use.

For the ninja is even worse, 3 accesories out of the 5? how do you play it?
    You dont explain at all how you get stuff, how to craft it, where it comes from, its ups and downs, how you can edit it, etc.
    If a player has all the stuff there, then they obviously have a good enough understanding on what they like and the class they like to play.
  11. Fen_Hydra Green Slime

@Archdragon97:

The scout will be found, but the point is that he can then get away much faster than any of the pursuers.

The ninja only lists 3 accessories because those are the only ones that the OP could think of for the class. It's not that hard for the player to pick the two remaining ones for whatever they like using best.

Marksman: necro armor reduces ammo consumption and increases ranged damage. The way to play it is implied in the title: stay back and kill at a range.

Casters: jungle armor reduces mana cost, increases your mana, and increases the % chance of criticals. Meteor increases all magic damage and makes the space gun cost 0 mana. The way to play it is implied, again. Stay at a range and use spells, and if they get closer, use demon scythe/aqua scepter.

Shiny red balloon is good with rocket boots. Not only does it increase your initial jump height, but it increases the momentum you gain when using rocket boots. This allows even higher mobility. Cloud in a Bottle is still a good choice if you want extreme mobility, it immediately sends you up. This can be invaluable if you want to quickly cross a semi-large chasm.

If a player wants to know how to craft the items, they can go to the wiki. This guide assumes that you know how to play and have all the items described. If this information was included, then it would be better called "Guide from middle to end-game."
  12. Archdragon97 Green Slime

Fen, i know what it all does i didnt ask for a explanation, but if someone is following this they dont know, do they?
  13. MiniManolinho Bone Serpent

Sorry, I refuse to read a Text Wall such as that. You should probably use some Colors, Fonts, and Sizes as a formatation, you'd get much more feedback. I know This is anal, I always read the Text Walls, but I'm not in the mood for it right now.. So yeah, make some tweaks and make it prettier, more people will feel like reading. Sorry.
  14. Pyro Cat Green Slime

For the unnamed class, why not elvin. The magical elves of the LOTR series are magic and in most RPGs are known for magic.
  15. SlimeSlayer Green Slime

@archdragon97
    Hydra seemed to tell all i would but one thing. This guide is not for the ones who would buy it and then go onto forums. Its for those who have some experince and are close to endgame. But I do see your point with playstyle. Some classes are more challenging than others for less experinced players. In the future, please leave suggestions in a constructive way, rather than hating on my work.
    @pokecatch
    Haha u lost some speed for that.
    @fallais/Pyrocat
    Like how one sounds, one makes sense. Compete ftw. Pm me both of u
  16. SomaCruz Cave Bat

Armor sets bonuses really help, but I encourage you to try different combinations of equipment. I use a jungle shirt, jungle pants and Tim's hat, that way I enjoy having the extra mana points while having my magic attack critically increased.
  17. anonymuos Cursed Man

Pfff... This reminds me a situation on wiki, when in Class Guide page many players were posting their 'classes', which were all generally the same. There are only 4 classes existing: Tank with Molten, Mage with Jungle/Meteor, Gunner/Bowman with Necro and Fighter with Shadow. That's all.
  18. Merch Green Slime

Don't troll...
    On Topic: Overall this is a pretty good guide; 8/10
  19. tomimrbone Eskimo Zombie

Thats not true.Yeah,here are a lot of crap loadouts,but they are more than mage,tank,gunner and figther.
    For example they are 2 mages:-mage with jungle armor,medium defense,medium attack with a lot of mana
    -magr with meteoe and wizard hat,low defense but high damage with not so much mana(and these are 2 loadouts)

And also dont post so exact loadouts.When you wanna give an idea of a loadout you need to say only the basic ideas and people will customize them to be perfect for them:D(how i did for the 2 mages).
    Also i think the warlock it should be the mage with the meteor,focused on more magic damage not on balanced weapons:p!
  20. SlimeSlayer Green Slime

The thing is, I think mine are good. some people, who cant exactly figure this out, use mine for the set. More experienced players can change them to their desire/opinion. But I'm really glad someone pointed that out, that my sets aren't always perfect and sometimes you can change them to make it a bit better.