Terraria for iPhone/iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'PC' started by 2fast4u5, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2fast4u5

2fast4u5 Green Slime

Hey... I'm new to the Terraria community (just signed up a couple of minutes ago) and I've recently downloaded and been playing this amazing game with my friends. I just started 3 days ago and it's easily one of the funnest games I have ever played. I wasn't sure where to post this... but is Terraria available for iPhone or iPod Touch? If not.. then will it be ported in the future?

Thanks ahead of time for the responses. :]

2. AzureRequiem

AzureRequiem Green Slime

It's not currently available, and it doesn't seem like the kind of game that would work well on an iPod. Can you imagine trying to mine the game's small-sized blocks with your fat finger? It'd be incredibly awkward.

3. cfehunter

cfehunter Green Slime

this wont happen for the same reason we'll never see a linux or osX release.

XNA needs the microsoft version of the .NET framework. Microsoft don't provide it for anything but windows and the 360.

The way mono works means it'll never be compatible with the Microsoft XNA release either.Go support the MonoXNA project if you want to see XNA games on other platforms :).

Sokaron likes this.
  4. AZCards

AZCards Green Slime

It would be horrible on a smart phone. Could you imagine all the clutter there would be on that little screen?

5. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Green Slime

Not to mention the difficulty in spotting gems and basics like right-clicking or controlling controlled projectiles while simultaneously moving.

6. mcpower

mcpower Squirrel

I own a iPod touch.
    iPad, maybe, but 320x480? NO WAI

7. warlockd

warlockd Green Slime

Not true! There is a development platform called MonoTouch. You can make C#/.NET applications for the iphone/ipad. The catch was that you had to use a version of OpenGL. I am in a beta for something called ExEn that emulates the XNA platform on it.

Only works on 2D and has some graphical glitches but it works well. Not Microsoft oviously:p

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/752-exen-xna-for-iphone-android-and-silverlight

HuntForWaffles likes this.
  8. 2fast4u5

2fast4u5 Green Slime

Wow.. that's great news! I am very optimistic for the future of Terraria for iOS (iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone) because they did manage to port MineCraft to iOS... which works great though there may need to be few additions/fixes.

And thank you everyone for your replies so far. :]

9. patrik3031

patrik3031 Green Slime

If any of the developers are reading this. This is my idea for the controls. leaning the iPhone/iPod or Android would be for walking shaking the phone would be jumping or and everything else would be with your fingers.

Please post better ideas on how to make the controls.

10. Tejedu

Tejedu Cursed Skull

Sounds like the controls would suck, and the resolution would be small.
    Other than that, sure!

Fire & Ice likes this.
  11. Thelemon

Thelemon Green Slime

you guys must be trolling... no way its gonna happen.

12. Eldiran

Eldiran Green Slime

It is actually going to be possible to port XNA to iOS using this and MonoTouch:
    http://andrewrussell.net/exen/

However, that doesn't change the fact that Terraria is incredibly unsuited to any non-PC control scheme. It's impossible to put Terraria on iOS without making a different game entirely.

13. Sokaron

Sokaron Doctor Bones

I was going to hit you over the head for mistaking iOS for OSX, but, then I reread the post. Instead, you'll get a like for explaining why we won't get Terraria on other platforms so well.

A bit Off Topic: For mac users, run either a VM or use the Mac Wrapper that has been on the front page a lot lately. On a VM, terraria runs perfectly fine for me.

14. Freax

Freax Green Slime

But you would have to get the devs to use this.

15. Freax

Freax Green Slime

For me too, im using a mac :p

16. AyePirate

AyePirate Tim

NO..Just no.
    Terraria is small enough..Playing on the iPhone will make you blind.

17. RedBadger

RedBadger Green Slime

It's not going to happen, but I think it would be amazing on iPad.

patrik3031 likes this.
  18. killme

killme Green Slime

source: http://www.threequarterdpad.com/?p=504

19. Fredfbar

Fredfbar Doctor Bones

I don't think the devs are planning on this any time, xbox, possibly, but I'd doubt phones.

20. Brent

Brent Green Slime

most likely won't happen, as I've said before. Terraria relies on 3 things that are only available via Windows and the 360 currently; DirectX support (in hardware AND software) .NET Framework support, and XNA support. The fact it's possible to port c#/xna projects to iOS isn't surprising. I would be amazed, however, if you got it to work with all the DirectX hooks in both hardware and software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.