Terraria Online Holiday Contest

Discussion in 'PC' started by kirabook, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirabook

kirabook Ex-Min Staff Member

white.gif
    header.png
    Hello everyone, and welcome to Terraria Online's second Holiday Contest! We tried to make it as interesting as possible to get peoples' brain juices flowing for this holiday season! We know that not everyone celebrates all that is Christmas or any other winter holidays, but we hope that everyone will try and participate!

There are 3 paths you can take to participate in this contest, Softcore, Mediumcore, and Hardcore! You can only enter into 1 category. Softcore demands that you create an image, be it art or screenshots that represent your idea of the winter holidays. Medium gives you the power to continue the story prompt your own way with a Machinima video! Hardcore has free range on their entries, as long as its "real". The harder the path, the bigger the prize, more details below!

You have to have a Terraria Online account to participate! But no worries, sign up is free!
    Don't forget to check out the Facebook Banner Contest here! Enter soon!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hardcore Voting has Begun!!
    Check out the Mediumcore entries!
    Softcore Voting has Ended!
    Show Spoiler

Softcore Mode
    Drawn Image/Screenshot Creation
    Rules: Draw or screenshot your idea of what the winter holidays are like! Your image must not be shown to anyone else. It must be something YOU created and put together. Click here to send a PM to TO Contest Entries with your submission attached. The community will vote to decide the winner! There will be 2 winners.​
    [​IMG] : You can Photoshop your screenshot together, you don't necessarily need Terraria!​
    [​IMG] : Note to artists, please don't leave any hints or tip offs that the art is yours if you decide to enter. We want to keep it as blind as possible, but we understand that when it comes to things like drawing or intensive content like mods, that is harder to hide.​
    [​IMG] : Although the authors of the art will not be posted immediately, they hold the rights to their content at ALL times. As moderators, we will protect their work from being claimed as someone elses.
    Mediumcore Mode
    Machinima/Video
    Rules: Using this prompt, show us a story! It doesn't not have to be in-game footage, but it must utilize Terraria based themes and content. The video should not be longer than 10 minutes. It must be something YOU created and put together.​
    Embed your entry into THIS thread. Any entries we do not deem entries WILL be deleted. No exceptions, no placeholder posts, and no comments that are not entries. 505 Games will choose the winner!​
    [​IMG]:​
    The house was all quiet... the clock ticking time.​
    Not one creature was stirring... not even a slime.​
    No slip, no pop, no tweedlydee.​
    The windows were covered with frost... no room left to see.​
    And on the rooftop, glittering with light,​
    Snow slept peacefully, but not without fright.​
    For the mafia would rise... as it did each year.​
    Steal Santa, kill children, and end holiday cheer.​
    From the snow would they rise... at they did annually,​
    Guns in their hands... each loaded manually.​
    We come to you, for the strength we all lack...​
    Adventurer please... please bring Santa back.​
    Hardcore Mode
    Baking, Decorating, Costume, and Modding Time!
    Rules: This is where your have free reign! All that is required are delicious baked treats, create some Terraria holiday decorations or ornaments, dress up in a costume, OR create an amazing holiday themed mod!​
    But remember and never ever forget, they all have to be Terraria related! It must be something YOU created and put together. Your image/video/mod must not be shown to anyone else. Click here to send a PM to TO Contest Entries with your submission attached. The community will vote to decide the winner!​
    [​IMG] : Baking examples: Cookies, cupcakes, cake, etc. You are allowed to use other mediums such as polymer clay!​
    [​IMG] : Note to modders, please don't leave any hints or tip offs that the mod is yours if you decide to enter. We want to keep it as blind as possible, but we understand that when it comes to things like drawings or intensive content like mods, that is harder to hide.​
    [​IMG] : Although the authors of the mods will not be posted immediately, they hold the rights to their content at ALL times. As moderators, we will protect their work from being claimed as someone elses.​
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Prizes

Softcore:
    [​IMG] Custom Forum Title, Thread Sticky, Thread Feature
    [​IMG] Terraria on Steam

Medium Core:
    [​IMG] Terraria on Console

Hardcore:
    [​IMG] Terraria T-Shirt
    [​IMG] Terraria on Console

Important Details
    Entry Period Ends: Jan. 4th at 11:59 PM Central Time
    Voting Period: Jan. 5th - Jan. 12th
    Winners Announcement: Jan. 13th

[​IMG]: Once you choose a custom title, you are not allowed to change it under any circumstances. The title will also be reviewed by an Admin.​
    [​IMG]: If you have any questions, please contact kirabook, Loki ISP, Kelp, or Twi. Contacting any other admin or moderator WILL NOT GUARANTEE YOU AN ANSWER.

FAQ: (open)

FAQ

Q: Can I enter more than one category?
    A: No, you may only have one submission, and you may only be in one category, mult-entries will be disqualified.

Q: Am I allowed to edit or change my submission?
    A: (Mediumcore Answer) While the entry period is still live you may change your submission with the edit button, or delete your old submission and post a new one in this thread.
    (Softcore and Hardcore Answer) Yes. Please respond to THE SAME PM YOU SENT BEFORE with your renewed entry.

Q: Why won't you answer my question?
    A: We can't be on all the time, there are other moderators over seeing the contest as well. If one moderator doesn't respond, try contacting another. If you still don't have an answer, be patient. We will be having an influx of questions.

Q: I have the best suggestion for the next contest! Can I tell you so you guys can do it?
    A: We did not come up with this idea, this was an idea born out of the Community Feedback Portal, feel free to discuss your ideas for the forums, such as contests, there. It is located in the Forum Feedback section.

Q: Can I enter with a group or some friends?
    A: Terraria Online will not split the prize up, you will have to choose one person to receive the prize and split it amongst yourselves.

Q: It only says Moderators can't vote, but what about entries?
    A: Moderators are not allowed to enter either, we fear that they may get a vote simply for being them, we wanted to the staff stay as much out of the contest as possible.

Q: What do you mean by sticky?
    A: Rather than your thread "dieing" your thread will be immune to dieing by being stamped at the top of the front page.

Q: Can we use like TEdit, or Buildaria for our projects, or hack in items?
    A: We are not concerned with the legitimacy of the created player creation as far as hacks and building tools go, we are looking more about the architectural planning and creativity.

Q: Can I choose what thread gets stickied?
    A: Within reason, the thread you choose still must be staff approved, otherwise you may choose whatever thread you wish.

Q: How do you enter?
    A: (Mediumcore Answer) Post your entry here on the entry thread. Only entries can be posted, placeholder posts are not allowed.
    (Softcore and Hardcore Answer) Click here to send a PM to TO Contest Entries

Q: How come I can't comment on how cool someones is?
    A: We want to keep the entry threads as clean as possible, you may PM the user or post on their profile but please do not comment in the entry thread.

Q: What do you think of my creation?
    A: As a moderator we can not comment on your creation, we have to keep our opinions to ourselves, we want it to be purely the community that decides the winner, without moderator influence.

Q: What's the exact time the entry period will end?
    A: 11:59 PM Central Time January 4th

Q:Could you convert that to my time?
    A: 9:59 PM Pacific; 10:59 PM Mountain; 11:59 PM Central; 12:59 PM Eastern
    http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/central-time/

Q: If I win, but my thread isn't ready yet, can I wait for it to be stickied?
    A: All threads are to be stickied on January 12th 2012, if you are not ready by then the sticky is lost, you may of course create the thread and always edit it, don't think that the thread has to be 100% finished for us to sticky.

Serensetti, Garneac, nababoo and 5 others like this.
  2. kirabook

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Community Prizes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

These are prizes offered by fellow members to be given to the winners of this contest. We cannot always guarantee these prizes will be fulfilled, but we will do our best to ensure they are in case there is an issue. Remember, these are not staff given prizes, therefore you must work with the people offering these prizes to make things work. :D Be sure to thank these community members for stepping up to make the contest even better!​

[​IMG]
    MiraiMai is offering:
    • A custom mod by MiraiMai
      • Mod will be be made within the month of January
      • Mod design is completely up to the winner (4 winners), although MiraiMai may help clean up the design so it works well
      • Mod must be of a reasonable size (Not making a huge modpack like Obsidian mod for everyone ;) )
      • Mod will be released to the public in the modding section when complete (open source and with direct links, no adfly/etc)
      • Note: Weapons and Accessories are simple additions I don't mind making many of, but no more than one Armor/Vanity set per person if requested, as they take a large amount of work, as do NPCs and Enemies
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Serensetti, Yoraiz0r and Classikly like this.
  3. Classikly

Classikly Frankenstein

Oh, I was afraid of posting here before. Thanks for clearing that up.
    I really wanna do Mediumcore but I also want the t-shirt..

4. kirabook

Wish we could afford to give out more glamorous things. XD

5. connery0

connery0 The Wiremancer

What happens if somebody wins that has a custom title (no I don't expect to win this, I don't even know if I'll join), I'm curious how you would deal with that situation

6. jordan cheah

jordan cheah Cursed Skull

The prizes are cool:D
    Might go for mediumcore

7. Krazy321

Krazy321 Mouse

I might try my newfound modding power... Maybe :p

8. Classikly

Classikly Frankenstein

So, I told Yorai about this contest.. Yorai will spawn in 5 seconds.

9. Bobrocket

Bobrocket WANTS TO PUNCH STUFF

was gonna post this
    the FAQ says if you work in teams, you can split the prize(s) up

10. jordan cheah

jordan cheah Cursed Skull

Connery let us be a team :)
    I just want the custom title so i won't get yelled at when i post at the 200 member/new member thread

11. Bobrocket

Bobrocket WANTS TO PUNCH STUFF

for mediumcore, can we use a mod? (say, a christmassy mod for the video)

12. Classikly

Classikly Frankenstein

What's this used for?

13. Stackerzgame

Stackerzgame Dungeon Spirit

I think adventure maps should be included in to the hardcore challenge. Also does the mod have to be in Terraria. Or maybe it could be another game recreating the holiday items in Terraria? Wait... is that even legal?
    The story for the medium core challenge is based of that.

14. Classikly

Classikly Frankenstein

So we have to make a video based on that poem?

15. Stackerzgame

Y E S

16. kirabook

Hm, I suppose you can have everything else but the custom title.

Eh... I have it split up this way based of the general difficulty or resources used. The story is meant as a base for a video to be very loosely based on.

I considered putting Terraria like items into other games kind of thing, but I don't know the legality of it, so I didn't include it. Don't want to get into any trouble.

We can include adventure maps, just worried that some people won't exactly try out the maps when it comes time to vote. I had a similar worry with stories, last time I'm sure people didn't read everything through. *Our feedback said so*

It's just a very very simple base. We don't want to restrict what you want to do, it's mainly there to give directors something to kinda sorta center on.

17. Stackerzgame

Are multiple entries allowed for different categories?

18. Classikly

Classikly Frankenstein

The first thing in the FAQ.

19. Stackerzgame

That faq was small and hard to see.

And dammit I wanted to enter all 3. Now I don't know which to enter.

20. Jojiro

Jojiro Hornet

Regarding prizes for teams:
    • For teams, could you share the custom forum title prize? I feel like that isn't too much to ask for. Making people decide how to split that seems...stingy.
    • Why don't you guys do Terraria pins and badges for prizes? People dig those.
    • Or you can do a custom, TerrariaOnline-made wallpaper.
    • You know. Things that you could give out to teams without more of a financial burden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.