Terraria won't run

Discussion in 'Technical Support Archive' started by fredsmth, Aug 3, 2011.

1. fredsmth

fredsmth Green Slime

When i try to run Terraria, i get a "CLR error" and when i try to run it as an admin, it also crashes before the window can appear. Running Windows 7 service pack 1 with .NET uninstalled and reinstalled and XNA installed, in that order. No crash log created.
    Phenom II X4 940
    Radeon HD 4870 X2
    8GB RAM

Attached Files:

2. Angel Descends

Angel Descends Green Slime

Use a program called CCleaner and clean out your temporary and registry files, maybe there's a corrupt file linked to Terraria somewhere.

Also try reinstalling Terraria if it's a non-steam version (delete game files and download again if it is a Steam version) and make sure all of your drivers such as your graphics are up-to-date.

I'm not guaranteeing anything btw, that's just what I would try.

3. fredsmth

fredsmth Green Slime

No luck. Also, this only happens when i run Terraria.exe. When i let Steam try to run the game, the "Preparing to launch Terraria" window pops up for a split second, and then nothing at all.

4. fredsmth

fredsmth Green Slime

I really wanna play this game.

5. Rydian

Rydian Blood Crawler

If you have a Phenom 4870 why the hell do you have that windows classic theme, which disables many hardware acceleration features?

Set the theme to Aero and see if Terraria launches after that.

6. fredsmth

fredsmth Green Slime

'Cause Aero looks terrible. Anyway, didn't help. :(

7. Rydian

Rydian Blood Crawler

Go to the control panel, go to Programs And Features, and uninstall ANY AND ALL .NET framework versions you see there. After that run Windows Update and get the ones it gives you (you may need to do this multiple times for it to get the base ones and then update them).

8. fredsmth

fredsmth Green Slime

I had had no other version of .NET.

Windows Update installed version 4 right away, but now, it gives the CLR error both when running as admin and not; and Terraria tries to install .NET (although it's already there) when i try to run it from Steam.

9. Rydian

Rydian Blood Crawler

.NET is not one single version. Even if you have version 4, if something else needs version 2 it'll install version 2 and that will exist along with version 4.

Yes that's Fucking Retardedâ„¢, but it's how it works.

You may need to go into the windows updates list to uninstall all the .NET ones, because it seems you have one testing/debug version that should not be installed.

10. fredsmth

fredsmth Green Slime

Well, there are no installations of .NET in my updates list except for version 4, and i've never needed to install .NET before Terraria. Windows Update gave me just 3.5 when my Windows installation was new. Is there a deeper way of clearing it out?

Hm, after checking out Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64, it seems that my Radeon drivers are making use of .NET v2.0.50727...

However, getting rid of that did not help.

11. Rydian

Rydian Blood Crawler

In the registry editor, go to...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP

And you should see folders for each "flavor" that's installed.

12. fredsmth

fredsmth Green Slime

Uninstalled .NET again, uninstalled XNA, deleted all .NET versions in registry, deleted the Microsoft.NET folder altogether, installed .NET v4.0.30319, installed XNA, ran a repair on .NET... still CLR error (with a reboot after every step). Guess i need to just write those ten dollars off as a loss-- since i'm not going to reinstall Windows. What a waste of time.

Thank you for your advice.

13. Rydian

Rydian Blood Crawler

I didn't mean for you to delete the info in the registry, but to use it to see what else was installed for you to hunt down and properly uninstall.

14. fredsmth

fredsmth Green Slime

I know, but considering that's the only trace i can find of .NET on my system, is deleting those keys not as good as "proper" uninstallation? If not tantamount. Anyway, i backed it up in a .reg, just in case.

Do you have any more ideas? :\

15. Spinfx

Spinfx Doctor Bones

Try the Seven Forums, they're pretty good at troubleshooting win7 issues. Post in the software subforum instead of the gaming one - the gaming one isn't always visited by the older vets, and there's a lot of old folks on that board. They should be able to get your .NET and XNA stuff sorted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/