The Dreamer (Old)

Discussion in 'Terraria Literature' started by Garneac, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

GarneacThis the old thread. Feel free to read it, although Adam's storyline will be changed to some extent.
    GarneacHere's a link to the new thread.

GarneacHey everyone,
    GarneacI've been fighting the urge to do a fan-fic based on Terraria for a really long time now, but have finally given in. The following is my attempt at properly expressing my "creative energy."
    Garneac(Fair warning: I'll change some stuff about Terraria. Not out of spite but because it'd make more sense to portray an idea a certain way, in novel format, as opposed to the world of Terraria's gameplay.)
    GarneacLet me know what you think! What you liked, what you disliked, criticisms -- you get the idea.
    GarneacEnjoy. Or don't, your choice.
  2. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

Synopsis

GarneacIn the shadow of a dungeon a god-killer prepares to escape from the world by destroying it.
    GarneacOn the other side of the continent, another man wakes up in a field with no memory and among strangers.
    GarneacHis past lies locked in the fragments of his dreams, but in an attempt to remember he will be forced to retrace the god-killer's footsteps and set off a series of events that will plunge the land into chaos.
    GarneacThis is the story of their war to control fate, whatever the cost.
    Garneac
    Garneac

Table of Contents

Chapter Eight (Not yet posted)
    Chapter Nine (Not yet posted)
    Chapter Ten (Not yet posted)
    Chapter Eleven (Not yet posted)
    Chapter Twelve: Interlude (Not yet posted)
    Chapter Thirteen (Not yet posted)
    Chapter Fourteen (Not yet posted)
    Chapter Fifteen (Not yet posted)
    Chapter Sixteen (Not yet posted)

Pronunciation Guide
    Show Spoiler
    Chapter Four
    Dasgreil (dahs-grail)

Chapter Five
    Vercona (ver-cone-ah)

Chapter Six
    Ilhaddrine (eel-ha-dreen)
    Agraiman (ah-grey-men)

Chapter Seven
    Anya (an-yeah)
    Damon Nalicai (nah-leh-kai)
    Faedra Savierani (fay [rhymes with pay]-drah sa-veer-annie)
    Hasvatos Encagra (has-vah-tose [rhymes with dose] on-ca-gra)
    Praetan Juris (pray-tan)
    Emradine Tower (em-ra-deen)
    Averiss (pronounced avarice)
    Raikon (rye-con)
    Voltarine Consul (vole-tah-reen)
    Oradano Ocean (ore-ah-dan-oh)
    Demanithro (deh-mah-knee-throw)
    Vaccaneli (vak-ah-nelly)
    Majira (ma-jeer-ah)
    Ferasere (fare-ah-seer)
    Krusata (cru-sa-tah)
    Lodicus University (lode-ee-cuss)
    Sodratha Collegium (sod-rah-tha)
    Quindai (qwin-die)
    Karam (cah-ram)
    Sepharrim Syndicate (se-fah-ream)
    Cormac Isparo (is-pah-row)

Chapter Eight
    Imperator (im-peh-rah-tore)

PDF Version
    (Provided by nababoo)

Microsoft Word Documents

Audiobook Version
    (Narrated by Chokladkakan)
  3. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

The Dreamer and the God

Prologue

GarneacThe god-killer ran across fresh-fallen snow, dragging his prisoner behind.
    GarneacThey came to a frozen stream and crossed, boots hammering the surface. The noise was loud and erratic, an intrusion into the silent watch of the trees that stood sentinel, armoured in snow. Once they’d reached the opposite bank the captor turned to his captive. A brief pause as they stared at one another, gasping for air.
    Garneac“You have to know this isn’t going to work out.” The ragged merchant tugged at the chain looped around his neck, an act of minor rebellion long since rendered meaningless. “Doesn’t matter what happens now. They won’t let you reach the dungeon.” His lips formed what might have once been a wry smile; instead it was a savage grin revealing shattered teeth and bloodied gums.
    GarneacThe god-killer said, “Let them come. I’ll cut them down.”
    Garneac“You can’t kill all of us.”
    GarneacSilence, and then: “I seem to be doing all right.” He jerked the chain hard, causing the merchant to stumble.
    GarneacAnother savage pull: he watched the head snap back, the mouth widen in a silent scream.
    GarneacWhen it was finished he looked up at the night sky and saw the stars gazing back. On earth as in the heavens, reflections of the other: distant and implacable, patient and cruel. He wondered if the old man knew he was coming. Query: what use is power if you can’t even save yourself?
    GarneacIn the far distance a horn sounded. The trackers knew what had happened and were closing in.
    GarneacHe spared a glance at the cooling corpse before walking off into the woods.

GarneacIt was some time before the trees began to thin and finally disappear but he had arrived at the dungeon ahead of his pursuers. It sprawled across the nighttime fields, a hulking titan with blue-black skin hiding horrors. At its wooden mouth sat a huddled shape. As if by some silent cue the mass of tattered cloth rose to its feet and slowly dusted itself. Eyes like hellfire burned in that wasted face. The old man approached, calling out a greeting.
    GarneacThe god-killer drew his sword in response. The blade ran the length of his arm from shoulder to fingertips, a natural extension of the body.
    Garneac“Must we do this?” asked the old man.
    Garneac“Yes.”
    Garneac“You know what will happen.”
    Garneac“You’ll die.” He slid his right foot back and leaned forward, sword point raised.
    GarneacThe old man continued walking, stopping only when the blade pricked his throat. He was smiling. “My body might die. My master will not.”
    Garneac“Then fuck your master.”
    GarneacThe old man opened his mouth to laugh—
    Garneac—and out crawled the skeletal arm of a god.

Garneac
    Garneac
    Garne

Notes

Okay, just to clear things up: the skeletal arm belongs to, well, Skeletron, making the old man ...the old man. And yes, the unnamed god-killer did indeed kill the merchant. Rather, a merchant.
    nababoo, xGama and jaxter0987 like this.
  4. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

Chapter One

GarneacHe lay in bed and watched from across the room as Sarah leaned against the window. Morning light made a shadow of her body, a halo of her head. His wife turned to him.
    Garneac“Well, the bus just took off,” Sarah said.
    Garneac“Oh.”
    Garneac“Oh?”
    GarneacHe tried again: “Will you get into trouble?”
    GarneacThere was something of the wolf in the way she looked at him: lips curled in a smile all teeth, no warmth.
    Garneac“Now there’s an idea.” She walked over to the phone and dialed while he turned onto his side, away from her, and went back to sleep.
    GarneacWhen next he woke it was to see her standing above him. “We need to talk.”
    Garneac“What about?”
    GarneacThat did it: “Don’t,” she said softly. “Don’t you dare.”
    GarneacHe made as if to turn away from her and she grabbed his shoulder.
    Garneac“I said we need to talk. Wake up.”
    GarneacHe didn’t answer, looked out the window instead at a world that by rights should be as chaotic and broken as his life currently was.
    Garneac“You’re not avoiding this, alright? Don’t go back to sleep. Wake up.”
    GarneacIt was obscene, really, the way the world outside plodded along, willfully ignorant of the mess inside the cramped apartment. Completely unfair.
    Garneac“Wake up," Sarah repeated, shaking him, hard. "Wake up, you stupid idiot. I said—”

Garneac“—wake up!”
    GarneacSomeone slapped him across the face, ending the dream. He decided it’d be a good idea to do what the voice said. He opened his eyes and stared into a round, perplexed face looking down at him.
    GarneacWhile he rubbed his cheek a thought came to him suddenly: something is wrong.
    GarneacHe let his hand fall and sat up. “That hurt.”
    Garneac“Sorry,” said the fat man, “But I did tell you to wake up.”
    Garneac“I was asleep.”
    Garneac“Hence the slap.” They stared at each other for a moment.
    Garneac“Fine.” He paused. “Do I know you?”
    GarneacA beat of silence. He watched the fat man’s face spasm hard, as if battling something unseen.
    Garneac“I’m Nathan,” the other man said finally. He rose to his feet, frowning. And then: “So who the hell are you?”
    GarneacThat’s a really good question. The answer popped into his head shortly: “Adam.”
    GarneacSomewhere behind them and off to their right, a little girl started to cry.
    GarneacThe fat man – no, Nathan, his name is Nathan – looked in the direction of the noise and then back. His frown deepened. “Okay, Adam. I've got a question for you.”
    Garneac“Shoot,” Adam said. (Again, the thought stepped cat-quick through his mind: something is wrong here.) The little girl’s sobs had turned to shrieks and other voices were raised in worry.
    Garneac“Do you have any idea where the hell we are?”
    GarneacFinally Adam realized what was wrong.
    GarneacHe wasn’t in his bed but sitting in a grassy clearing, with a stand of trees off to his right. A bunch of people had gathered by the trees, looking scared. This was not the apartment. Where was Sarah? (And who is Sarah? he thought, confused, as he stood up; the dream spun into fragments and then faded away). Not morning, but night; a full red moon hung in a cloudless sky.
    GarneacAdam looked up again. Red moon?
    Garneac(A small but cold voice from some pit in his mind spoke: you need to start running.)
    GarneacSo he did, towards the group of strangers. Nathan hurriedly followed suit.
    Garneac“Adam.”
    Garneac“Yeah?”
    Garneac“I asked you a question. Do you know—”
    Garneac“No clue, sorry.”
    GarneacSomeone had moved to try and comfort the shrieking girl (who’d now been joined by other terrified kids; a chorus of high-pitched banshees). Adam reached out, grabbed someone. “Hey.”
    GarneacThe man turned around, and the look of irritation on his face crumbled into horror. “Red God, save us.”
    Garneac“Excuse me?”
    Garneac“What are you doing here?” the man said, pulling away.
    Garneac“I don’t know. Do you know me?” Adam glanced at Nathan, who shrugged.
    GarneacThe stranger’s mouth worked soundlessly—and just like that the horror vanished (but something in Adam’s mind took note, filing it away for scrutiny when it was safe to do so; and why isn’t it safe now? he thought, and he knew the answer had to do with the red moon.)
    Garneac“No,” the stranger said, slowly. “No idea who you are.”
    Garneac“Right,” Nathan said before Adam could reply. “Do you know where we are? What’s happening?”
    Garneac“Blood moon,” the other man said.
    Garneac“Meaning?”
    GarneacAdam turned to the group of milling people. Confusion and fear. He knew, without question, that every single one of them had forgotten their name. And standing behind the babble and tears, leafless trees cloaked in gloom.
    GarneacHe thought he saw something move in those shadows.
    GarneacHe spoke without realizing it: “We need to get away from here. Right now.” He raised his voice, addressing everyone – but his gaze never left the stand of darkened trees. “Listen up, people. I think we need to be as far away as possible from here or we’re going to be in trouble.”
    Garneac“Trouble? What trouble?” a voice shouted.
    Garneac"Where are we?"
    Garneac"Where is my daughter. I--I can't remember--honey, sweetie, where are you?"
    GarneacMore questions, more anger (and more precious time being wasted).
    GarneacSomething’s coming.” Adam shouted back. Without waiting he grabbed a kid, shouted at the other adults to do the same—he pushed a woman towards the other children. “Now. People, get the kids. We need to leave right now.”
    GarneacThey started to move, slowly at first but picking up speed, following the authority in his voice even though they didn’t understand. People made obedient by their fear, like sheep.
    GarneacBehind him, Nathan asked: “Where the hell are we?”
    GarneacAnd the man whose face had distorted with fear when he saw Adam replied: “Terraria.”
    GarneacNathan blinked, a slight wheeze entering his voice as he tried to keep up with the others. “Terraria isn’t in Canada, though.” He shook his head. “I mean, right?”
    Garneac“Canada?” the other man asked. They stared at each other for a moment before Nathan started yelling. Adam looked over.
    Garneac“Yes, Canada, North America—you know, the land of perpetual ice and snow, you idiot! So what the fuck do you mean by this Terraria nonsense?” Nathan made a swipe at the startled man—
    Garneac—and disappeared.
    Garneac“No!” Adam shouted at the others who had slowed when Nathan fell, “do not stop, keep moving. And you,” he said, speaking to the boy in his arms, “you need to stop that hollering, alright? It’s not doing a damned thing to help either of us.” (The boy recoiled, as if he’d been slapped, and then began to cry even more.)
    GarneacDisobeying his own command Adam slowed down enough to turn around and see what had happened: Nathan, half his face missing from some monstrous blow, blubbering for them to wait, please wait; the things atop him, tearing at his clothes which had once been so fine, tearing at the flesh beneath and feasting; the trees and their shadows giving up further horrors as more of the creatures appeared, staggering as if drunk, led on by the scent of blood. Human shaped, but only just so: as if their design was one vaguely based on what might have been called a person if you really wanted to stretch the definition.
    GarneacOne of the creatures looked up from the kill.
    GarneacAdam decided he’d seen enough, turned around and resumed running. (And how swiftly he moved, even with the hysterical kid in his arms; flitting past and through the shambling and stunned fellow strangers to overtake a lead position at the head of the pack.)
    GarneacThe strangers moved as one across the night plain. A soft red glow filtered down from the moon above, offering enough light to reveal ditches and furrows in the ground. A gust of cold wind snatched the cries from their mouths and threw them away.
    GarneacSomeone drew up alongside Adam. He looked left and saw the tense face of the man Nathan had been screaming at just before dying.
    Garneac“Your people are too slow,” the man said.
    GarneacAnd it was true: a quick look back showed people falling in ones and twos, those either too slow or infirm or elderly (or stupid, he thought), falling to the ground screaming until their voices were abruptly silenced by the creatures that caught them. He looked away. No time to stop and help. Stop and help and he’d die too. Besides, he had a kid in his care; needless bravery now would be the end of both of them. Adam looked back at the other man. “So, what do we do?”
    Garneac“You all just need to make it to the road up ahead.”
    Garneac“What road?” But there it was, nonetheless. How he could have missed it he didn’t know—wait, yes, he did, it was the sudden slaughter that had made anything other than blind escape irrelevant. (Dangerous to act like that, he thought. No excuse to be sloppy.) Torches lined the road in even breaks; maybe, just maybe safety could be found in the flickering rings of light. He shifted the kid in his arms again, and wondered what use the road would be to them. He said as much to the other man.
    Garneac“If we can make it over to that cluster of torches—yeah, that bunch over to your left—we’ll find something we can use to fight them off.”
    Garneac“Like what?”
    Garneac“A sword.”
    GarneacAdam stumbled, causing the little boy to scream right into his ear. “Excuse me?” he shouted, momentarily deafened.
    Garneac“I said there’s a sword.” The man turned his head around and relayed his instructions to the rest. As one they veered off to the left, taking their lead now from this man who raced ahead with no visible sign of effort (who hasn’t broken a sweat throughout all of this, Adam noted, beginning to tire). Another glance over the shoulder, just in time to see a floating red—
    Garneac(eye)
    Garneac—sphere blast through the air and slam into a woman.
    GarneacShe went down, hard, and didn’t move.
    GarneacAdam looked up and what he saw made him want to howl.
    GarneacThe sky, darkened by a swarm of red shapes moving in furious synchronicity. And peeking through the shifting mass, the light of the blood moon.
    GarneacSurprising himself, he tapped into a reserve of stamina he hadn’t believed was in him and charged ahead the last few meters up to the road. Desperation could be a fine motivator at times.
    GarneacThe clearing rose steeply to meet the torch lined road, and on the opposite shoulder were a thicket of trees, stretching right and left as far as he could spare the quick jerk of his head to see. He tried to slow down, judged the timing wrong, and contrived to fall headlong across the ground. He kept his wits about him enough to twist at the last moment so the kid in his arms didn’t take the brunt of the fall. His right shoulder was another story, a painful counterpoint to the burning in his lungs.
    GarneacThe others staggered into the torchlight, turning to look back the way they'd come. They were worse off than him to judge by their wide-eyed stares and flapping mouths but alive nonetheless. But for how much longer? Shambling shadows before them, swirling darkness above. And what’ll your choice of poison be, good sir?
    GarneacMaking sure the kid was fine, he stood up and looked around. “Swords," he called out, "Where are they?”
    Garneac“Over here.” The man who had raced ahead was digging furiously, pausing only long enough to snap at others to help him. They balked, but the man won out in the end, managing to persuade them by powerful argumentation such as “the damned swords are in this chest so if you want to live get up and get over here!” and “how daft are you people? I’m trying to help.”
    GarneacAdam drew closer, his adrenalin turned to anger at the precious seconds wasted trying to convince people too slow to understand just how untenable their situation was. How many swords were there? More importantly, who among them could even use one? They needed guns, not blades.
    Garneac“Heads up."
    GarneacAdam heard a scream and looked up to see a sword sailing blade-over-hilt at him.
    GarneacIn one smooth movement he stepped to his left and snatched the spinning steel out of the air with his right hand.
    GarneacEveryone fell silent. Whether out of shock that the weapon had been thrown at one of their own or that he’d managed to catch it, or both.
    GarneacAdam looked at the other man. Etched his blue eyes and freckled face into memory. And was that a nervous twitch of the jaw muscle, or a trick of the firelight? Later he would find out. Now was the time to survive. Nothing else mattered.
    GarneacHe had enough time to wonder how, exactly, he was supposed to use the sword when the creatures were on them.
    GarneacFlesh petrified and where it hadn’t, rotting to pieces. Jellied eyes dripping liquid down pitted cheeks. The stink of decay obliterating all else. Hands reaching up to rend and tear.
    GarneacAnd as if their intrusion into the flickering circle of light was a cue, Adam’s sword hand rose to meet them.
    GarneacHe carved death with every thrust and cut. A diagonal downwards swipe dispatched an eyeless horror before instantly becoming a horizontal strike to another creature as Adam spun to his left, pushing off his right foot. His movements were brutal and final.
    GarneacFive undead bodies now made certifiably dead by cold steel lay at his feet.
    GarneacA wave of dizziness threatened to drown him. How was this possible? Correction: how was any of this nightmare possible?
    GarneacEven as he reeled in disbelief his arm moved the sword again, tracing intimate denials into more grey and worm-eaten flesh. The steel was a natural extension of his body, even if his mind rebelled.
    GarneacThe other adults, mostly the men, had joined him, making clumsy, too forceful swipes at the enemy—
    Garneac—while Adam danced around them all, his body moving of its own accord, parrying and cleaving with the utmost precision and economy of effort—
    Garneac—and the flying orbs, the red eyes, came swirling down.
    GarneacAt the corner of his vision Adam saw the floating eyes flatten adult skulls and toss children into the air. (Too late to save them. Concentrate on saving those you can, yourself foremost. Don’t let them get past the sword. Kill anything that opposes. Move, move, move.)
    GarneacAnd then it was over.
    GarneacWithout warning Adam’s perfectly balanced upwards stroke met no resistance, and he just managed to recover his balance.
    GarneacThe creatures melted away, back across the clearing and into the woods and high into the sky. What made it all so confusing, and all the more chilling, was that the shambling dead and floating eyes made no sound as they retreated—no, as they were pulled away by something.
    GarneacHe looked up, and a part of him wasn’t surprised to see that the red moon was gone.

GarneacIn a sense, the easy part was over.
    GarneacAdam turned to the others and witnessed: the mutilated dead, grown men and women and children like so much sacks of meat; the survivors, haggard and injured and muttering and uncomprehending; the swords, slick with blood and flashing as dawn broke overhead.
    GarneacThe blood. Adam looked down and saw his left hand holding a tuft of grass and running it up and down the length of the blade, sopping up the sticky redness. His body was still working of its own volition—and with that thought his arms stopped moving and hung at his side, as if they’d been caught doing something wrong. He flexed his hands and was surprised when they responded. Fine, so he was in control again. However long that lasted.
    GarneacWhat next? He answered himself: “We should keep moving.”
    GarneacThose not too stunned looked over at his voice. Adam’s would-be killer stood off to the side, waiting. His long-sleeved grey shirt was pristine. And where’s your sword?
    GarneacThe other man must have taken his stare as a sign to speak: “Well, where do you think we should go?”
    Garneac“You tell me.”
    GarneacThat earned him a small smile. “How should I know?”
    GarneacA woman who’d been kneeling stood up. “You knew the swords would be here,” she said. Adam offered a silent thank you.
    Garneac“Yeah, thanks for that,” someone else piped up. Adam couldn’t identify the speaker in time to smash the stupid face in. The woman who’d spoken looked similarly irritated.
    Garneac“So,” she continued, “who are you?”
    Garneac“That’s debatable.”
    GarneacSilence, and then: “No, it’s not." Her voice had gone cold. A man stood up and joined her, and after a moment another two did the same. This wasn’t lost on the other man, who stopped smiling.
    Garneac“I just saved your lives,” he said, raising his hands in protest. They were free of the dirt from digging, the sort of effort only achieved if he’d been meticulously cleaning them. During the fight, perhaps.
    GarneacAdam hefted the sword. Doing so felt awkward now. “What’s your name?” he asked.
    GarneacThe response was instant: “Steven.” No hesitation, no visible struggle to remember. They all saw this; they were all paying attention now. Memory loss had, if only briefly, united them against the hint of a new threat, someone who remembered.
    Garneac“Steven, if you know something that could help, you’ll tell us.” Not a question. Now the others burst into chatter.
    Garneac“Why were we attacked?”
    Garneac“How did I get here? You know, don’t you, you lyi—”
    Garneac“Are they coming back? Are they—”
    Garneac“I heard you say this place is Terraria. I’ve never heard of it. Where—”
    Garneac“Why can’t I remember anything?”
    GarneacA cloud drifted in front of the sun, throwing them all into shadow.
    Garneac“It’s best if you don’t remember,” Steven said quietly.
    Garneac“Like hell it is.” The woman who’d spoken earlier stepped forward and shoved him. And again, harder. “Like hell it is.”
    Garneac“You don’t understand, what I—hey, stop it!” Steven snapped, “Let me explain.”
    GarneacThe cloud passed overhead. Light returned to the strange land and the silent dead.
    GarneacSuddenly, Adam didn’t want to hear Steven talk anymore. He had an idea what was coming next.
    GarneacSteven said: “I knew where the swords were because I live here. Not here, but around. I’m a guide. My job is to, well, guide people around. Help them. Help you.
    Garneac“I am not the enemy. If you remember nothing else, remember that: I am not the enemy." He glanced at Adam.
    Garneac“You all have to keep moving," he continued, "Yes, yes, you do: forget about the bodies. You don’t even know who they are—
    Garneac(don’t say it, Adam thought, and then he asked himself, don’t say what?)
    Garneac“—and you’ll never know who they are because you won’t remember.” He paused, shoulders slumped. “I’m sorry, but your memories aren’t coming back. Whatever you were before you got here doesn’t matter. And a week or two from now all you’ll remember is having lived on Terraria for years.”
    GarneacAdam looked up at the sun. It gazed back. A full circle, symbol of fury and a promise of pain.

5. Treeman4 Doctor Bones

nice story all though a little confusing
  6. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

Thanks for commenting. And maybe this'll help?

The prologue happens at an unspecified time, although I can tell you it happens in the past--but I can't say how long or recent the fight with Skeletron took place. Also, I'm not gonna reveal whether the god-killer beat Skeletron or not. That's for later. What you should take from that scene is that the god-killer took a merchant as his prisoner while on the run before killing him. The merchant warned the god-killer that the people pursuing wouldn't allow him to make it to the dungeon; they would kill him before that happened. Obviously, they failed, because the god-killer met the old man and the fight began.

The main story, beginning with chapter one, starts with Adam having a dream about a woman named Sarah he knows (you should be able to guess the general location of the dream!). The dream's interrupted by Nathan slapping him awake. All of the people gathered in the clearing, except for the man leading them to the weapons cache (I'll give you one guess as to his identity), have lost their memory. Hence Nathan and Adam's initial difficulty at remembering their names.

The full red moon is a Blood Moon. The non-human/creatures/things are Zombies. The red eyes/floating orbs are Demon Eyes.

So, Adam is currently on the run with the rest of the amnesiacs towards the road where that other man said a sword(s) would be. Does that make things a bit clearer?;)

Again, thanks for showing interest and commenting.
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  7. MrFatPlum Zombie

Love the story. My guess is, Adam is the player, the guy that nathan tried to hit is the guide. I think the first place he was is the real world. Keep up the good work!
  8. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

Another reader has been spotted! And a comment has been left!(!!)

Glad you love it. I'm having just as much fun writing this as you are reading it. :D

And you're right on all guesses. I was a but worried that calling the guide the "other man" for so long might get tiring for the reader, but it's not as if Adam is just gonna stop in the middle of running or fighting and ask for the guy's name. lol.

(Also, please, nobody start rolling their eyes at how lethal Adam is with a sword even though he said he had now idea how to use it. It's not, like, "instant supah killing knowledge!" or anything like that. There's a reason. Trust me.)

Also, this is for anyone else that reads this: the other people, the strangers Adam was with, they've lost their memory as well and, like him, are not from Terraria. Hence the late Nathan's rage about Terraria not being in Canada.

Ooh, one last thing: Terraria in my story isn't a game. It's an actual place. Now, as for how people from Earth ended up in a world called Terraria remains to be seen.

Alright, gotta go take care of some stuff and then I'll get to work on a chapter or two!
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  9. Larry :D Green Slime

You sir, do not know how good you are at writing. It was very interesting through out the whole thing (hope I spelled that right). I didn't like when ever you just used a
    -
    To represent someone talking. It got confusing at times when multiple people were talking. Other than that, it was great
    :);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);):);)
  10. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

Thanks for reading! And thanks for the compliment as well.

That's a fair complaint. I reread the chapter -- hell, I've reread this chapter way too many times, TBH -- and I agree, I went a little crazy with the "--" at times. It's fine to use it as a way of denoting that someone's been cut off in mid-sentence, but when you have a back and forth between two people and then start interjecting various commentary -- well, it can get messy. Thanks for the heads up. ;)
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  11. funepicwins Snatcher

I know a good story when I see one. That is a good story you have there. Pro tip: keep doing what you're doing.
  12. TheDeviant Green Slime

So as you asked of me, I will review.
    So-o as I'm reading through, the whole thing kind of is a tad bit confusing; who is the person doing the (italic comment) and why does he/she restate what the main character is saying? Is it a conscience, his thoughts, a little voice inside his head? The thing blends together a bit, but it is very fast-paced.
  13. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

:cool: Will do. The idea is to use this story as practice/motivation for my own on-going-but-not-really started story.

Thanks for reading. Much appreciated!

It's a bit of all three, actually. Good on you for noticing. ;) Where it explicitly says it's a voice then it's a voice (which will be explained later on). Otherwise, it's his instinct -- "something is wrong" -- or his thoughts -- "don’t say it, Adam thought, and then he asked himself, don’t say what?" Actually, the last example is two-fold: the first italicized thought is an instinctive response to what Steve is about to say; the second thought is a conscious one, questioning why he'd object to what the guide is about to say.

That said, if there's some difficulty differentiating, I'll try to remember and make things a bit simpler in the second chapter.

Anywho, thanks for reading! Much appreciated.
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  14. AyeAye12 Paladin

This is excellent, much better than my stories to be really honest! well done!
  15. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

That's got to be the highest of compliments. You're too modest, though: I've read a couple of your poems and Dryad: A Deity. You've a knack for writing as well. ;)

Thanks for reading and commenting!
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  16. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

Chapter Two

GarneacThe measure of a life is the sum of its memories. Not how much we love, for what is the use of loving someone you cannot remember (or how can you know that you have loved at all)? A daughter is reduced to just another smiling girl; a husband’s caress synonymous with a stranger’s violation. Scars are no better: a surgeon’s incision across the ribcage is confused with a trophy from a knife-fight. Heart and body are weak without the mind, without memory. The most tragic person in life is someone who does not know the past and so will never have a future.
    GarneacAdam looked at the others and saw men and women and children with holes like mouths hidden behind each skull. Steadily consuming their identity with each passing moment. And now he was no different from any of them.
    GarneacSteven allowed the silence to stretch for some time out of deference for their loss, but there was impatience in the way he opened and closed his hands; a furtiveness as he looked up and down the road.
    Garneac“Look,” he said finally, “we actually should get moving.” He pointed at Adam. “The man had the right idea.”
    GarneacAdam nodded slowly. “My name is Adam,” he offered, distracted by something. He closed his eyes and tried to pin it down: I am not the enemy, Steven had said. His blue eyes wide and imploring them all to listen, to believe.
    Garneac“Alright, thanks Adam. I know this is all a bit to take in”—someone snorted; that was quite the understatement—“but I know a place where we can go. Have to go to, actually. Eat some food. Take a bath. Sleep. Feel safe. I mean,”—and here Steven paused, as if slightly incredulous—“you people have got to realize by now that you’re not safe out in the open.”
    GarneacAdam heard the other survivors shuffle around. Quickly now: was there something wrong?
    Garneac(Reaching out to the guide. Watch as he turns around, the irritation on his face sliding into fear. Because he saw me.
    GarneacNext: Steven throwing the sword.
    GarneacAnd again, Steven speaking: I am not the enemy. But then he looked at me.)
    Garneac“Hey, what’re you—Put that down. There’s no time for that.” The guide sounded anxious.
    Garneac(Here’s an idea: what if Steven is lying?
    GarneacCounter: why would he be?
    GarneacRebuttal: because he knows a hell of a lot more than he’s saying. Lying by omission.
    GarneacDismissive counter: you wake up in a world with no fucking memory and begrudge someone who does? Pathetic.)
    GarneacFrustrated, Adam opened his eyes.
    GarneacThe woman who’d been dissatisfied with the guide’s answers was dragging one of the bodies off into the trees that began by the shoulder of the road. She grunted with the effort. A skinny woman, but resilient. Blood dried into maroon streaks across her white blouse.
    GarneacShe looked up, saw everyone watching her and scowled. “We can’t just leave them here. It’s not right.”
    Garneac“Not right?” If Adam didn’t know any better, Steven was quickly moving up the scale from anxious to panicked. “Not right?” he repeated. Another woman took a step forward, hesitated, and then made up her mind: she walked over to the skinny survivor and grabbed the corpse by the legs. They soon had it in the trees, and a few of the other adults started to do the same. Adam joined in. The rest hung back.
    GarneacSteven told them to stop, and when that had no effect, shouted at them to be sensible.
    GarneacA little boy started crying. Someone told him to keep quiet.
    GarneacAdam and the others worked in silence. He did a quick count, trying to ignore the caved-in skulls and ragged flaps of hanging flesh: fourteen dead, not including Nathan and whoever else had died back there with him. Twelve of us still alive.
    GarneacThe skinny woman appeared at his side, and together they lifted a small body with its belly ripped open.
    Garneac“Thanks.”
    GarneacHe nodded. “Sure.”
    Garneac“Lisa, by the way.” She didn’t offer to shake hands. Adam was vaguely insulted until he remembered that both their hands were covered in dirt and blood and bits of gore. Feeling foolish, he looked down at the body between them and saw that it was the little boy he’d been carrying during the night. He looked away.
    Garneac“You okay, Adam?”
    GarneacNo. “Yes.”
    Garneac“If it’s too much, if you’re going to be sick, it’s alright. We’re almost done, you can stop.”
    GarneacHe looked at her. “I’m fine.”
    GarneacThey placed the boy’s body down with the others. His was the last of them.
    GarneacSteven saw this and started walking. One by one, they followed. Some had left their swords behind; others clung to theirs with a feverish intensity.
    GarneacAs they walked Adam revisited the boy’s face. Brown eyes darkened in death. The gaping hole in his belly, intestines spooling outward like a nest of grey snakes.
    GarneacNot all nightmares end upon waking. Even in daylight evil goes about its work.

GarneacThey walked for the better part of the morning and late into the afternoon, stopping infrequently for breaks (“You can rest easier when we get where we’re going,” Steven explained as they drank noisily from a stream, but he refused to reveal where, exactly, they were headed. “Someplace safe,” he said). There were three children in the group and they’d all fallen quiet, if not asleep. The adults, those not too injured from the attack, took turns carrying the two little girls and boys. When it was Adam’s turn his right shoulder twinged painfully, a souvenir from his nighttime escape when he had fallen to the ground. He tried not to remember who he’d been carrying at the time and was grateful when he was able to pass on the sleeping girl to someone else.
    GarneacNaturally, questions about the attack were raised, and on this matter the guide was forthcoming.
    Garneac“The human shaped things, they’re the undead.”
    Garneac“Like zombies?” a man asked, incredulous. (His name was Zach, he’d shared earlier; a burly man with what seemed a perpetual frown on his bearded face.) But then again, it wasn’t all that hard to believe since they had just survived the inhuman creatures. They all dwelled on that.
    Garneac“The floating red buggers are demon eyes. Nasty little things.” Steven sounded as if he were commenting on the unfortunate and pestilent existence of gnats. All part of a night in Terraria, apparently.
    GarneacAs for why the moon had been red: it marked the beginning of a night of violence. No one ventured out during that time, instead staying inside with doors and windows boarded up until dawn arrived. Daylight meant safety, he said cheerfully. No one believed him.
    GarneacThe road was well-maintained, the torches on both sides keeping pace at regular intervals, the path wide enough for them to walk in a row if they wished and still have enough room for more people. It ran through wood and over plains, past artificial rock formations piled into a semblance of giants and then dipping down into valleys too periodically spaced to be natural. Unerring and methodical was the hand that hadn’t so much shaped as it had mastered the land. Adam’s wonder turned to apprehension: what sort of mind conceived perfection and managed to actually enforce it?
    Garneac“It’s the Empress’ work.”
    GarneacAdam looked around to see Steven walking alongside.
    Garneac“What do you mean?”
    Garneac“I noticed you admiring the scenery.” Steven nodded at a copse of trees off to the side, from which burst a pair of silver-grey foxes. Their sleek coats shone in the fading afternoon light and then they had crossed the road and were gone. “Everything you see is her work. Landscaping is a concern of hers, you could say.” He grinned.
    Garneac“You telling me the rest of Terraria is this perfect?”
    GarneacFor the space of a heartbeat Adam saw something other than honesty behind those blue eyes.
    Garneac“Perfect is too much. Ordered: that’s the right word.” The guide looked away. “Long live the Empress.”
    GarneacBitter much? But he didn’t know enough about the man, or about Terraria, to make that sort of judgment. The lack of information was frustrating. He tried another angle: “I think this is a good time to settle a couple of things.”
    GarneacSteven nodded, still not making eye contact. “Thought you might say that.”
    GarneacNow it was Adam’s turn to grin. “Good. You seemed to know me when you first saw me. Am I right?”
    Garneac“Wrong.”
    Garneac“Really now? I’ve never seen anybody look so scared.” Adam’s laugh was hollow. Lisa and another woman looked back at them briefly. “Then again, I wouldn’t know if I’ve seen anybody else that scared of me, would I? Missing memory and all that.”
    Garneac“Unfortunate bit of business,” the other man agreed, sounding anything but remorseful. “But I’m telling the truth. I don’t know who you or any of these people are. Not my job to, if you want the truth.” A pause. “It was just a case of mistaken identity.”
    Garneac“Is that so?”
    Garneac“Like I said.”
    Garneac“And you throwing the sword at me,” Adam said, letting anger colour his voice. “I guess that was also another case of mistaken identity?”
    GarneacSteven clapped him on the shoulder. “Now you’re getting it.” A curt nod of the head and then he walked off. Adam watched his back until he caught Lisa staring at him. He shrugged his shoulders, and she fell back to join him.
    Garneac“Trouble?” she asked.
    Garneac“Isn’t everything?” he said, feigning cheerfulness. She wasn’t impressed.
    Garneac“I haven’t been able to remember much.” Her silence was an invitation to share; he declined.
    Garneac“Well,” she continued, unabashed, “One thing I do know is that back on Earth, fire acts a hell of a lot differently.”
    GarneacHe wasn’t in the mood for obscurity and waited.
    GarneacLisa frowned. “The torches. Haven’t you noticed?”
    GarneacHe looked at them. If the guide was to be believed, their regular placement had been done at the Empress’ behest. A phrase slid into his thoughts: obsessive compulsive.
    Garneac“What about them?”
    Garneac“They should have burned out by now.”
    GarneacIt was true. They both turned around at the same moment and looked back the way they’d come.
    GarneacThe torches marched off into the distance, a pattern of flickering red and orange against the coming evening. As far as he could tell, every single one of them still lit .
    GarneacThe sudden chill down his spine had nothing to do with the cool wind.
    GarneacLisa spoke quietly: “There are forces at work here and none of them miraculous.” Behind the dirt and dried blood on her face she looked haggard.
    GarneacAdam tried on a smile. “Never ending fire, the undead and flying eyes. Sounds like hell to me.” Again, she wasn’t impressed with his failed wit.
    GarneacThere was nothing else to say after that so they walked in silence.

GarneacIt was full night when they finally arrived.
    GarneacThe survivors staggered off the gravel road (everyone but the guide, who walked briskly along) and made their way over to the house before them.
    GarneacThat was an error of thinking attributable to exhaustion: the house was in fact a small mansion, even if the surrounding darkness sought to hide its true size. A host of windows like eyes peering from sockets of dark brown wood. At least four stories high. Further detail was lost in the flickering shadow play of torches placed carefully about the building’s face.
    GarneacSteven unlocked the front doors and they filed in, barely registering the large foyer’s telltale signs of having just been recently finished before stumbling into the next room filled with an assortment of granite sculptures: a crab with its arms raised; a swan frozen in flight; a man's head wearing a crown; and more. The guide led them deeper into the brightly lit rooms (all torches, Adam noted, guess there’s no electricity in Terraria) before waving them into another area.
    GarneacThe survivors stopped and stared. “Oh my God,” someone said.
    GarneacBefore them sat a large round table weighed down by an impressive-looking array of food: whole baked birds with their skin browned to perfection; slabs of meat covered in a thick sauce; loaves of bread nestled into a basket at the center of it all; fruits; cheese; pastries. Salvation.
    Garneac“Welcome home,” they heard the guide say, and with that they attacked the buffet.
    GarneacAdam’s world shrank to the size of the hot steak he’d snatched up. Never before had he been more focused on trying to shove the meat down his throat without gagging. The crudeness of the joke wasn’t lost on him, and he nearly choked with laughter.
    GarneacPay attention.
    GarneacHe looked up, saw his fellow amnesiacs feasting. Grease and drink mingling on their hands and faces. Satisfaction and safety at last, their actions seemed to say.
    GarneacBut he was missing something.
    GarneacHe saw Lisa assaulting a mountain of mashed potatoes and gravy and caught her eye. She nodded.
    GarneacSomeone, maybe more than one person, had known they were coming. The feast attested to that but, more importantly, the food was still pleasantly warm. As if it had been cooked and arranged knowing the exact moment the tired group of survivors would arrive.
    GarneacAdam glanced at the guide, and then at Lisa. She was frowning.
    GarneacWho had prepared the food, and where were they now?

GarneacAfter the meal they were shown to their rooms.
    Garneac“Temporary for now,” Steven explained, leading them up the winding stairs, “but in the morning, after you’re all rested, you can choose whatever rooms you like.” He looked over his shoulder at them. “There are more of them available now than we’ll actually need.”
    GarneacWas there a bathroom, they asked. Somewhere to clean up?
    GarneacSteven nodded. “Every two rooms are connected by a wash room.”
    GarneacA small vote was taken and two of the ladies, Meredith and Susan, were assigned the task of sleeping with the children (the decision based on their obvious maternal affection; such clues offered hints about their past lives, made all the more tragic as the two women realized they must have left their own children behind back on Earth). They gathered the kids, who were nearly asleep on their feet, and led them away. The rest dispersed.
    GarneacAdam felt someone grab his arm and turned around to see Lisa.
    GarneacShe said: “Mind sticking close?”
    Garneac“Fine by me.”
    Garneac“Good. Then we’ll talk in the morning, compare notes.” They chose sleeping quarters closest to the stairs, said a brief good night (the ridiculousness of the statement caused them to smile), and entered the separate rooms.
    GarneacDarkness, just kept at bay by a lone torch on the opposite side of the room. It was all Adam could do to strip down before the entirety of everything that had happened struck him, hard. He staggered, the exhaustion compressing his thoughts until all he knew was the existence of the bed before him.
    GarneacHe was asleep before his head hit the pillow.

GarneacIn his dream there was a woman waiting for him, seated behind a desk. In one hand she held a sheaf of papers; in the other, light blue seeds. Vines were twined into her jade-coloured hair. She looked up from reading.
    Garneac“There you are.”
    GarneacAdam stared. “Do I know you?”
    Garneac“Now there’s a silly question.”
    Garneac“It’s not, really.” He was sitting down across from her. The clothes he wore were luxurious and foreign, the colour of fire and gold. “I honestly have no clue who you are.”
    Garneac“Oh, but you do.” She smiled. “You and I have known each other for years.”
    GarneacAdam paused. There was steel in her voice, like a sword drawn and ready for a killing stroke. He got up from the desk.
    Garneac“Sorry, but you’re mistaken,” he said abruptly.
    GarneacHer smile widened.
    GarneacHe turned around to leave and there she was standing in front of him. He knew what he’d find if he looked over his shoulder: her also sitting in the chair. Impossible speed. Dream logic.
    GarneacShe raised a hand and Adam tensed. But instead of the blow he’d been expecting she traced his jaw with a finger, her touch light and cool. He shivered.
    GarneacThe woman noticed, and now her smile was a wicked grin. “You’ve been away far too long.”
    Garneac“Have I?” he answered faintly. Her finger was moving down his neck, his chest.
    Garneac“Quite.” She let her hand fall, and the smile followed suit. “Do not trust a word they say.”
    GarneacAdam frowned.
    GarneacShe elaborated: “The guide and the lady gunsmith.”
    Garneac“Oh.” He had his suspicions about Steven, but who was the other one? Did she mean Lisa? A thought occurred to him: “How do you know I’m with Steven?”
    GarneacA dismissive wave of the hand. “I know.”
    GarneacHe took a step back. “Yes, but how?”
    GarneacThe weapon he’d heard in her voice struck: “Dreams are my domain. You can’t hide your thoughts from me.”
    Garneac“Like hell I can’t.” And then he realized if she could read his thoughts than she knew who he was.
    GarneacRight on cue: “Of course I do.”
    Garneac“Tell me.” They could both hear the desperation.
    GarneacShe didn’t respond, green eyes glinting in the harsh light that came from everywhere and nowhere.
    Garneac“No, I don’t think I will,” she said, slowly. “I prefer you this way right now.”
    Garneac“Then fuck off,” Adam snapped. His right hand clenched, aching to wrap around a sword’s hilt.
    GarneacShe ignored the outburst. “I will tell you this though. You belong to me.” Hard eyes for a hard woman. “Understood?”
    Garneac“What? No, I don’t understand, why won’t—”
    Garneac“When my men find you, do not resist. They will bring you to me and then you can explain how it is you’ve managed to fail at the task I set you.” All pretense of companionship, gone. The vines in her hair began to writhe. “I know you’re stupid, Adam, but how difficult can it really be to kill one child?”
    Garneac(In his mind’s eye flashed an image of a little dead boy and his belly full of grey snakes.)
    Garneac“Why would I kill a kid?” he demanded—

Garneac—but he woke up before receiving an answer.

Garneac
    Garneac
    Garneac

Notes

Wow. That went about as well as I expected. But still way differently, too. I have a general plan which I'm following but there've been some surprises along the way, like the woman in Adam's dream asking him why he failed to kill some kid. I'll take this moment to point out something that might seem like a contradiction but isn't: Steve the guide says they've just arrived to Terraria, and their adventure so far confirms that; on the other hand the woman in Adam's dream says the two have known each other for years. This is intentional! (Also, can any of you guess who the woman is? Shouldn't be too hard.)

In any case, yay for torches and statues! More to come sometime on Monday, I hope. And I'll be revisiting the god-killer, if anyone was wondering. Just haven't figured out how to tackle it.

All of this is giving me some good practice. I know it's only been two chapters (and a prolgoue) but writing it has been tough but crazy fun as I relearn old tricks, learn some new ones, all so I can finally get to work on my own story later on. Good stuff.
    Chokladkakan, xGama and jaxter0987 like this.
  17. warpanda129 Cursed Man

WOW GOOD ASS STORY U SHOULD MAKE A COMIC OUT OF THIS SHIT
  18. Garneac Yellow Tyrant of Death

Trust me, if I had the talent for drawing, I would.

But I prefer writing. There are some things that are better conveyed through writing as opposed to drawing.

In any case, thanks for commenting, man. Really appreciate it.
    jaxter0987 likes this.
  19. Princess_Kally Cursed Skull

This is good. Very good. At first, the writing, whilst quite descriptive, is tedious to read through. It seems to go on and on and on. There is a sense of being disconnected from everything else. But as you read, there is a sense of understanding that the beginnings of major plot threads have been put into action, and you just need to wait to see each of them through to the end.

I'll definitely be looking out for more.
  20. warpanda129 Cursed Man

ummm im just going to say your wrong caz its going to be funny soo U ARE FCUKING WRONG :mad: :mad:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.